Sign in to follow this  
Locomotive Annie

MOC. A small tank loco for the Kotanga Tramway.

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Even though I haven't started on building the Kotanga Tramway itself yet I've been doing some thinking about the motive power needs for the tramway and while the 'R' Class Single Fairlie and the 'Improved 'F' Class 0-6-0 (see earlier postings) will be fine for the heavier tasks I could see that there would be a need for a smaller tank engine that could do general shunting, act as a banker in a pinch, take a coach down the logging branch for the school run and generally be a handy loco about the yard.

I followed no actual prototype being only guided by the idea that I wanted a small tank engine of British origins built 8 wide that would have been built in the last decade of the 19th Century.. There's still a few small details to complete, but essentially this wee loco is done with regard to her final appearance.

Small19thCentTankEngine_zpsb0588606.jpeg

I'm going to make a custom smokebox door for this loco, then there's putting on the rest of the cab handrails, fitting siderods and making some decals. Possibly I should put a second safety valve on top of the firebox too. Still trying to decide if the three tramway locos should get names or just make do with numbers. They will be getting 'Kotanga' on the side tanks so I'm leaning towards numbers. The 'Improved F' will be No:1 (what else!), the Single Fairlie will be No:2 and this wee loco will be No:3

Despite having a pile of Lego shovels do you think I could find one for the fireman to hold for the photo. If he looks embarrassed it's because he's actually holding a broom which isn't a terrible lot of use when it comes to getting coal through the firebox door.

That looks nice. I have been thinking about building a 'based on' loco as I need a mid sized diesel for goods trains. I am not sure though thinking that is it right to just make one up rather than making an actual model of a certain class? Maybe some more pictures of your cute little steam shunter will persuade me to do this! Is that the driver's tool kit left on the side, I hope it does not vibrate off once they get going and he looses all his wrenches and screw drivers!

Like I said on ANZFOL....cute, a really cool and cute tank engine 'Annie' and please don't forget it you haven't already posted your red wagon that's also on ANZFOL ? :sweet:

Brick On 'Annie' ! :sweet:

Is that the driver's tool kit left on the side, I hope it does not vibrate off once they get going and he looses all his wrenches and screw drivers!

It's held on with industrial strength chewing gum :laugh:

Thanks Hrw-Amen. Here in New Zealand there were quite a few imports of small tank engines for tramway and industrial use, - most ended up being modified in service to better suit the job at hand which means that they didn't look all that factory original anymore. With that in mind I found it fairly easy to come up with a generic design that looked reasonably plausible.

More photos soon I promise.

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

Still trying to decide if the three tramway locos should get names or just make do with numbers. They will be getting 'Kotanga' on the side tanks so I'm leaning towards numbers. The 'Improved F' will be No:1 (what else!), the Single Fairlie will be No:2 and this wee loco will be No:3.

You can go "Thomas & Friends" on them, and give them both names and numbers?

what track is that??

Englighten makes brown clone track that is compatible with lego track and Banbao (pictured) makes black track that works with lego trains but I don't think it connects well with lego track. You can find a lot more discussion of these brands if you search the forums.

It's Banbao track which is a nice enough track and is well moulded and everything, but while it will connect to Lego and Enlighten track the rail height is just that little bit more which will make for a bumpy transition unless the rail is filed a little at the join and the Lego track will need to be packed up slightly under the sleeper base with a piece of card. The other thing to bear in mind is that their straight track is 10mm longer than Lego and their curves are 5mm longer than Lego curves.

i thought the banbao was atleast the same lenght

At first I thought it was too, but it wasn't until I was working on building up my layout that I finally noticed the difference. It's not that much of a problem, it just means that individual Banbao track pieces can't be used to replace Lego or Enlighten ones in a track formation.