Locomotive Annie

Traction tyres for 12 volt trains.

I use the later versions of the 12volt motorblocks (bb12vc) as they suit the small late 19th Century locos I like to build and I don't fancy trying to cram PF gubbins into these small steam locos or having to tow thinly disguised battery wagons around on a permanent basis. This is all very nice and lovely only I'm in need of some new traction tyres and I don't really know where to get them. I've seen them once and a while on Bricklink, but the prices for them are a wee bit frightening.

Original ones will be very pricey since any that have been exposed to air are most likely dry and warped or cracked, and the still sealed ones are a limited and shrinking resource. There have been a few people who have made after market replacements from the inner rubber sheath of European phone cables (or so I was told when I bought some), which come in both grey and black, and have exactly the correct diameter. I've seen them both on Bricklink (in the custom section) and on Ebay, a few years back, and while they were still not cheap, they were a lot better than the original ones.

Thanks Peterab, - I did have some luck this afternoon in that I discovered that the rolls of bin bags I buy from the supermarket are secured with a wide black rubber band that is almost the right size to act as a defacto traction tyre. Fortunately being somewhat of a hoarder I had been keeping these rubber bands in a small jar in a cool dark store cupboard in the laundry so I think they might do until I find something better.

Edited by Locomotive Annie

I usually make them form the inner tube of a racing bicycle tire. Endless supply and very cheap: 1 tube gives you 100+ traction tires...

I usually make them form the inner tube of a racing bicycle tire. Endless supply and very cheap: 1 tube gives you 100+ traction tires...

Thank you :classic: I had dismissed bicycle tubes as a source of traction tyres, but then I was thinking of ordinary roadster bicycle tubes and not the skinny racing tubes. Now all I need to do is go to a bicycle shop loco in hand and ask for, 'A racing bike tube to fit this...' :laugh:

Edited by Locomotive Annie

I bought some of ebay once. Try to search for lego 7755. The ones made by apvos are quite good (though expensive if you think about the little amount of material used).

I bought some of ebay once. Try to search for lego 7755. The ones made by apvos are quite good (though expensive if you think about the little amount of material used).

I went ahead and purchased some of apvos's traction tyres as I would like to give them a try. True enough about the price, but still way better than the NOS ones on Bricklink.

I bought these from this ebay seller in the netherlands, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20cab03a3a he also has another picture on this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Train-Motor-Grey-Rubber-Rims-54x-4-5v-or-12v-12-volt-Trains-/140839500346?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item20cab03a3a

The widths of the rims were not consistent, but I've been able to re-equip all my old trains, the colour is about right, texture feels fine

Paul

Edited by paul_delahaye

The price looks OK too. They were a lot more expensive when I bought them. I might buy another bunch myself. Does anybody know of anyone selling black tyres at the moment?

There are different kinds on eBay. The thin ones are the best. The thicker ones cause derailments in switches (yes, riding 1 millimeter too high causes problems).

There are different kinds on eBay. The thin ones are the best. The thicker ones cause derailments in switches (yes, riding 1 millimeter too high causes problems).

That's a really good tip, thanks for sharing that. :classic:

I bought these from this ebay seller in the netherlands, http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20cab03a3a he also has another picture on this link http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20cab03a3a

The widths of the rims were not consistent, but I've been able to re-equip all my old trains, the colour is about right, texture feels fine

Paul

The gray traction tires on my 7722 train are cracked and brittle. Would the ones from the seller mentioned above work for this model? hoeij mentioned derailment problems if they're too thick; do these seller's tires work well?