The sun streamed through a small crack in Raz's cell, as he raised himself drowsily and looked around. Something was different, he thought. He listened for a while, but heard nothing, scarce a sound broke the stillness of the morning air. That was it, he thought, the silence! Where were the robber's boisterous shouts, their clamoring for this and that? As he sat, puzzled, Kaflar entered the cell. "Well, what are you waiting for?" he asked gruffly. "Hurry up, you're coming with me today."

"What's going on? Where is everyone?"

"Three of us are still here, but the rest went to get supplies. And have a feast before they return, I have no doubt." A gleam, almost of triumph, shot from Kaflar's eyes, and confused Raz even more.

"You mean Tardiff isn't here?" - and suddenly Raz thought he might be starting to understand.

"Just be quiet and come."

Kaflar seemed to know what he was doing, and for the next three hours the walked out across the barren sand. But gradually Raz began to doubt that he had anything in mind; they seemed to be wandering aimlessly throughout the Parched Lands. He did not dare ask questions, however. After days of travelling, he was one day surprised by seeing the hut of the mysterious ally of the robbers suddenly in front of him. The small amount of food Kaflar had brought was nearly exhausted, so Raz was not displeased with the prospect of finally having a tolerably good meal once again. During their supper, Kaflar quizzed him on what he had been doing and who he was before his capture. It made Raz somewhat uncomfortable, but he felt he had no choice but to tell. When scarce halfway through his story, Kaflar suddenly exclaimed, "We go to Cedrica." More he might have said, but the woodcutter exclaimed in surprise,

"Are you crazy? Cedrica is right now likely the most dangerous place in the country! Victor will very soon be there, I have no doubt, and like as not no Historican's life will be worth a gnarled branch once he is in power."

"What of that? Where would you have us go?"

"Stay right around here, would be my suggestion, or go to Petraea if you must, but to Cedrica!... nevertheless, what do I care? Do as you like."

"We will leave tomorrow," Kaflar replied calmly, as though there had been no discussion, and Raz, not a little surprised by the turn of events, went to bed that night in a state of extreme curiosity, mingled with a dash of uneasiness as to the conduct of his eccentric companion.

The next morning they set out in the direction of Queenscross, Kaflar having explained that the easiest route to Cedrica was up the Arkbri river; indeed, it was the way Ageven had been planning to go himself. Raz wondered what they were doing now - it seemed almost as though Kaflar wished to meet Ageven, for why else would he go to Cedrica? Gradually he began to think more of the journey, and hoped that they would be able to stay in an inn soon, rather than have to sleep under the stars. Fortunately, they had made good progress that day through the Westersands, and Raz thought it not improbable that they would be able to lodge in a suburb of Queenscross. He was right; Kaflar had little more relish than Raz for sleeping out in the open - though he was indeed used to it - and so the first inn they came across, in a rather isolated position on the banks of the Arkbri, was where he determined to spend the night. Scarce had they advanced within a yard of it when, to Raz's great astonishment the door opened and out came Ageven!

8331087373_cde3c9d21b.jpg

He explained that they had searched everywhere, that they had gone over almost all Kaliphlin, and, indeed, were at a loss what to do next! Kaflar recognized Ageven easily enough; but Ageven had some trouble recognizing the robber chief in the young knight that stood before him.

Since that was a fairly simple build, I did an interior as well:

8331087289_57cc4a9df6.jpg

I'm happy to hear what you think of the story so far and of course comments on the build are welcome!

(If the story seems to be just coming out of the blue, reading my The Hut in the Forest and The Robber's Lair might help!)

Kaliphlins are the best story tellers and you are an excellent embassador of us :laugh:

I love how you did the smoke out of the chimney!!! Also a very nice interior :classic:

I like how the story has progressed, it really does seem like he is a great wanderer and has helped flesh out the setting of Kaliphlin. The cottage is nice, kind of small and remote, and the inside is very pretty. It reminds me of a place I used to stay in Canada a couple times a year when my family went up there for business. Very cozy!

Interesting story. I like the build. The interior is very fitting. I used to think I was good at writing, but I think I'm at a block for most of Historica.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks guys! The idea was more or less that this is just a part of the inn, theoretically it should be bigger... though it does look like the entire thing. Oh well. Glad you all seem to like the interior! It's actually pretty simple, but it did turn out nice.

Nice addition to the story... The minifig plates work out pretty well for the roof and the upside down bottle for the lamp looks pretty cool too! :thumbup:

Nice work, I like how clean the interior is.

Thanks!

Nice addition to the story... The minifig plates work out pretty well for the roof and the upside down bottle for the lamp looks pretty cool too! :thumbup:

Thanks, MK! It actually wasn't supposed to be a lamp... though, now that you mention it, all it needs is a 1x1 round trans yellow...

Your skills continue to increase. Some nice work here! An inn should probably be bigger, but I like some of the landscaping work and the extras you've added.

Your skills continue to increase. Some nice work here! An inn should probably be bigger, but I like some of the landscaping work and the extras you've added.

Thanks Z! Yeah, it's not particularly roomy and I didn't quite get the look I wanted since I was trying to imply that there was more to it, but I wanted to stick with more or less the same size and style of the other three builds.

I reall like you cottage, especially your roof is really cool. Next step, a larger house that can call itself an inn!

Edited by kabel

I reall like you cottage, especially your roof is really cool. Next step, a larger house that can call itself an inn!

Thanks, yeah, I should try out a bigger building soon!