Sign in to follow this  
Fygg Nuuton

Lateen Rigged Sails - advice wanted

I suppose you mean lateen sails? According to my book it's just lateen sails, not lateen rigged...

Don't suppose you could get a picture from this book, Mr Tiber?

Maybe Mr Tiber's book will provide more diagrams... And maybe not...

Little too much rivet counting for me.

CM

Don't suppose you could get a picture from this book, Mr Tiber?
Why not?
Maybe Mr Tiber's book will provide more diagrams... And maybe not...
Nah, just a picture:

latijn_zeil.jpg

In the left, it says, "latijn zeil" meaning lateen sail...

ive been searching the net and tried to find any accurate angles. but it seems like a lateen sail and rigging do not have a 100% design- it was just triangular . but it look like that it have a sort of conic shape.

lateen.jpg_thumb.jpg

this pic i found here with my letters on show us the angles

A: ca55 deg B: ca 80 and C: ca45deg

and on the pic mr Tiber put on the lateen sail have about these angles

A(front): 60 B(back):85deg and C(top) 35 deg. so if you make your sails someplace like that i cant see how someone can tell you that you are wrong :-D

Why not?

I wasn't sure if that was possible so I didn't want to demand you provide one. But I can be more demanding in the future . X-D

Hmmm...

I also have a Xebec that is Lateen rigged.

final3.jpg_thumb.jpg final2.jpg_thumb.jpg final5.jpg_thumb.jpg

Brickshelf Folder

they are actually right triangles I think. I guess mine face the front more than some, so they might not be quite the same interms of visuals compared to Duke's.

I suppose you mean lateen sails? According to my book it's just lateen sails, not lateen rigged...

Well the ship would be called a Lateen rigged ship, though the sails would merely be called Lateen sails.

I also have a Xebec that is Lateen rigged.

final3.jpg_thumb.jpg final2.jpg_thumb.jpg final5.jpg_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't all Xebecs have Lateen Rigged Sails though? Otherwise it wouldn't really a Xebec, would it?

Shouldn't all Xebecs have Lateen Rigged Sails though? Otherwise it wouldn't really a Xebec, would it?

point taken... al I was trying to convey was I also had a xebec, hence I also had one that was lateen rigged. I would note that as mr. tiber said you should say all Xebecs are lateen rigged, not all Xebecs 'have lateen rigged sails', because the sails are just called lateen sails

Actually that wasn't meant to be a point, it was a question because I don't really know much about Xebecs so I was looking for information to fill holes in my knowledge.

th_1659928e.jpg

Duke Schunke's ship the Xebec is using these sails, head over to this thread to check it out.

On the sails for this ship I started out with an isosceles triangle with a 75 degree angle oposite from the longest side. From this picture the original 75 degree angle is on the lower right portion of each sail. I then made a slight arch from each of the two shorter sides and left the longest side straight for mounting to the support. Each of the three sails share the same basic outline, just in different sizes. I am not at his house this weekend, but I can later show a picture of the sail off the ship flat on the floor if anyone would like.

Actually that wasn't meant to be a point, it was a question because I don't really know much about Xebecs so I was looking for information to fill holes in my knowledge.

Ah yes, well as far as I am aware, Xebecs are all Lateen rigged.

For clarities sake though I think we need to call the sails 'Lateen sails' as Mr. Tiber said, and not 'Lateen Rigged Sails'.

On the sails for this ship I started out with an isosceles triangle with a 90 degree angle oposite from the longest side. From this picture the original 90 degree angle is on the lower right portion of each sail. I then made a slight arch from each of the two shorter sides and left the longest side straight for mounting to the support. Each of the three sails share the same basic outline, just in different sizes. I am not at his house this weekend, but I can later show a picture of the sail off the ship flat on the floor if anyone would like.

Thank you Duke Schunke, Mr Fygg Nuuton should be pleased with that information - if he ever returns to read it!

Mr Nuuton, maybe the triangle shape sails from the LEGO ship sets help you out...

This isn't a bad idea... but it will really depend on the angle he puts the yard arms, as a general shape reference though, I think it is a decent plan.