robt

A fast and cheap way to store your trains. Here's how.

Hi guys,

I want to share with you how I store my trains.

I think this is a good solution as the black plastic boxes protect engines and wagons, can be stacked and cost less than 3 Euros.

I use a 11 liter SAMLA black box container with bubble wrap and lid, that fits perfectly 1 train set.

8379687555_c3e912037c_z.jpg8379686395_dff7253c5f_z.jpg

For its internal size it can contains the entire Maersk Train set or other sets with 4 wagons, like PF Red Cargo Train.

8379684499_2e11d5a560_z.jpg8380766846_5df35c8339_z.jpg

Nice idea, I like to see mine so they are all over my office not great. I really need to get some proper shelf's up and display them properly. i can see how this solution stops the sun bleaching them and the dust getting all over the place.

I find that the very large cardboard boxes that TLG use to ship the sets in stores loads of train related items with the addition of bubble wrap in between and they are strong enough to be stacked one on top of another. Also and more importantly, TLG send them to us for free with each set.

I implemented the same idea, minus bubble wrap, when packing up my collection. The black boxes and 3€ price is tough to beat. Unfortunately for these types of totes near me, come with a price tag of $12-15. I found that wide shallow boxes worked best for me. My LEGO don't see windows and a wider stance keeps the weight spread out over a larger space instead of multiple layers of models on top of each other. It would be a nightmare trying to figure what set lost any small pieces :classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

I do that, or at least something similar to that with the extra cars, MOW vehicles, etc... For the engines I like the floating shelves that Brickster uses. They are very clean looking and can blend into home office decor very easily.

For the engines I like the floating shelves that Brickster uses. They are very clean looking and can blend into home office decor very easily.

Floating shelves? Do you have a link/picture? This sounds like a great way to store/display some of my James Mathis-designed Santa Fe locomotives and coaches.

I've been disassembling sets lately and using Ziploc bags with 3M labels (corresponding to bag numbers, if necessary) for sets without the convenient storage tray(s).

I've found Xerox boxes work great for train track, either loose or in the track boxes.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

Not a cheap way I'm sure but I'd love to have a display method something like this:

praesent_gross_titel.jpg

http://www.train-saf....php?section=12

I don't understand scales, so no idea if they make cases to Lego scale?

Paul

No they dont do lego scale maybe if they was a demand, however the lego one's would fit in the G scale display cases but the track is a different size so wouldnt be great, I like how they say they are affordable?? at over 100 euro each seams very expensive when compared to a 3 euro black crate

I like how they say they are affordable?? at over 100 euro each seams very expensive when compared to a 3 euro black crate

They can't be compared.

3 Euro black box is for storage, while this is a showcase.

Anyway yes, it's really expensive for 4 plastic pieces...

For semi-permanent storage, would it not be better to disassemble the set(s)? I've purchased some used sets in the past and some elements were cracked (specifically Brick W. Arch 1X1X1 1/3 on some Santa Fe sets), presumably from remaining assembled for an extended period of time (5+ years). Perhaps my misfortune might save someone else's elements.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

I've found Xerox boxes work great for train track, either loose or in the track boxes.

Xerox boxes work great for storing trains too. I think I can fit 14 boxcars per box in two layers. Depending on the scratch risk I might use a sheet of bubble wrap between the layers or around the cars. If a car or locomotive has loose parts I might put it in a bag before boxing (the parts will fall off, but I'll find them quickly and know where they go). The blue plastic tub in the picture is for more delicate pieces (e.g., steam engines).

img_5053.jpg