Triple Review Special: 60002 - Fire Truck

41 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor
  2. 2. Which LEGO Fire Truck is your favorite? (see comparison image below)

• 60002 Fire Truck (2013)
    • 60004 Fire Truck from Fire Station (2013)
    • 7208 Fire Truck from Fire Station (2010)
    • 7945 Fire Truck from Fire Station (2007)
    • 7239 Fire Truck (2005)
    • Other - state your choice in a post

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

8376090152_a38621a5bd_o.png

Fire-themed sets have been a staple of the LEGO Town and CITY themes (along with the Police subtheme), recurring in a few years interval in the past several years with updated versions of the Fire set ‘regulars’ (i.e. Fire Station, Fire Trucks, etc.). 2013 marks another year where we get a new line-up of Fire-themed sets. So how do these new sets look like? How do they compare with previous releases from the past years? Let’s take a closer look as I review three sets from this 2013 line-up in this Triple Review Special.

In the final installment of this three-part review, I'll be reviewing the 60002 Fire Truck. Usually fire trucks have always been part of fire station sets (like this years' 60004, 2010's 7208, and 2007's 7945), but this year there is a stand-alone Fire Truck set, whose design I must admit really piqued my interest. Normally fire trucks don't interest me much, but there's something about this particular fire truck design that made me want to purchase it (and this is actually the primary reason for this Triple Review Special :classic:).

8375016163_1a295da9d4_o.png

Name: Fire Truck

Number: 60002

Theme: CITY | Subtheme: Fire

Year: 2013

Pieces: 209

Minifigs: 2

Price: $19.99 | £14.99

Links: Brickset | Bricklink | Peeron (not yet inventoried) | LEGO Shop@Home

The Box

8376089228_0335c3f6e1_o.png

The whole set is lively presented in the boxart, with the full-blown image of the fire truck prominently displayed while our two fire-fighting heroes are getting ready for action! In fact, the fire-fighter in the left corner is already suited-up and ready to extinguishing any fire with his handy yellow fire extinguisher! And look at those water splashes – quite a nice touch I must say! The city outline background, standard blue LEGO CITY template, and set details complete the front of the box.

8375015211_c47db14905_o.png

“Hey!”, says the cartoonish Fire Fighter, who I assume is trying to get our attention to look at the various features of the set, which are nicely organized in separate panels. We are also reminded of the easy modular style of building for this set, as well as the other Fire-themed sets of this line-up.

8376088152_cd8a22e496_o.png

Is it just me, but I can’t help but find this image on top of the box ‘playfully naughty’. “Wet surprise coming up!”, I’m imagining this running in Mr. Bearded Fireman’s thought as he has about to unleash a splashy prank to his fellow worker. :devil::tongue:

The Contents

8376087822_7b9eeb112b_o.png

Surprised to see loose parts once again conveniently excluded from the rest of the bagged pieces… not! Two numbered bags of precious LEGO, an instruction booklet, a sticker sheet, and the two loose fire hose reel pieces are what we get from this set.

The Instruction Booklet

8376087222_0cb2e54765_o.png

The single instruction booklet came in relatively pristine condition without any folds or creases (unlike those of 60000 and 60001). I like the fact that the cover art image is different from the boxart, something most Licensed sets don't follow.

Sticker Sheet

8375013009_3d2503e5ca_o.png

The stickers in this set are quite minimal and IMO adequately serve its purpose in giving the truck the proper details. They're of the same transparent waterslide decal material like most stickers in sets nowadays.

The LEGO parts

Bag #1 Contents:

8376086042_3cabcc9080_o.png

A mixture of bleys, black, and the standard red+white motif of the Fire subtheme. The two yellow plates are in-line with TLG’s habit of including odd-colored pieces in sets. Nothing to really to be excited about the piece selection in this bag.

Bag #2 Contents:

8375011955_baaabfcb4d_o.png

The same colors can be found in the assortment of pieces in the second bag. The contents in this bag are less but bigger (vehicle roofs, windwhield, ladders, etc.)...

Pieces of Interest:

8376085020_cc098b692b_o.png

Speaking of ladders, the ladder piece with side supports is a new element introduced this year and can only be found in two other Fire-themed sets. I have mixed feelings about this new ladder piece: for one it's always nice to get new pieces like this, but on the other hand I see it as a large specialized part that is borderline <insert that tiresome argument>. The 6x6 round plate looks like a ‘common’ piece, but surprisingly it is also a new element, with only four sets having this piece. Two new pieces for a small set – not bad.

The Minifigures

Meet our ever reliable fire-fighting duo operating Fire Engine 60002: Frank “the Prank” Fireman and Fred the Fire-Fighter (corny fictional names made up for the purposes of this review :grin: ).

Frank "the Prank" the Fireman

8376084776_9ac4a108ce_o.png

Frank is the designated fire engine operator/fire truck driver who has been in the service for 15 years. He sports a brown mustache and generally has light-hearted disposition. He wears a black overall, an orange safety vest with light-green reflectorized strip. He never leaves the station without his two-way radio strapped on his torso. And why Frank “the Prank”? Just look at his "water splash prank" attempt above. :tongue:

Fred the Fire-fighter

8376084386_57e26347e9_o.png

Fred is one of the top fire-fighters in the service. He’s strong, brave, and dedicated to his vocation, the scratches in his face is a testament of a hard day’s work of rescue service. He wears a black overall with light green and silver reflectorized strips. A safety carabiner for dangerous high-level rescue and gas tank gauge dial is always attached in his outfit.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with both of these minifigures. The fact that they have different fire-fighting outfit (torso) is a plus, and the level of detailing is quite impressive if you take a closer look at the print details (luminiscent green strips, silver reflectorized strips, pants pockets, even stitches!)

The Build

The 54-step modular build is divided into two main parts:

Bag #1 Build

8376084016_b6e3cb437b_o.png

At the halfway point of the build, the fire truck's chassis, driver/passenger area, and equipment storage compartment in the middle are constructed from the first bag of pieces. The build is fairly straightforward and is easily done in 28 steps.

Bag #2 Build

8375009717_e4e60cb6d1_o.png

The second bag contents make up the fire truck's roof, windshield, wheels, and ladder set-up, completing the whole set as pictured above. Quite a solid-looking set I must say. Let's take a closer look at the 'star of the set', the Fire Truck...

Different Views of the Fire Truck

Front Quarter View

8376083272_2f4f1ce69e_o.png

This is considered as the "main view" as it features almost all of the primary features of the fire truck at one glance. The set number is also emblazoned atthe front side as FIRE 60002, cleverly assuming the designated truck number of real-life fire trucks

Side View

8376082860_1691cf62bf_o.png

This is probably my most favorite view of the truck, as it effectively shows the length of the truck - 20 studs long to be exact - resembling the long dimensions of real fire trucks.

Right Rear Quarter View

8375008525_19500d4301_o.png

The fire hose reel is located in the right rear corner and is prominently seen in this view. The stickered dial gauges give also a nice touch of realism.

Left Rear Quarter View

8375008033_cf241a4652_o.png

The left side is a bit 'less busy' than the other side and though not as 'sexy' as the right it still offers the same features (storage compartment entry, water inlet, equipment attachments) minus the fire hose reel.

Front and Rear Views

8376081640_628a098d96_o.png

Front: Somehow the large windscreen makes the truck look more like a bus than a fire truck when viewed up front. While this windwhield piece ain't that bad, I still prefer the old 2x2x4 angled windshields used in previous fire trucks (or for most truck for that matter). Also, the set number is once again displayed as a license plate number together with the letters "JC", which is most likely the set designer's initials.

Back: The back really gives an impression of a workhorse fire truck - with the white-red warning stripes, fire-fighting tools, and ladder entry. And please, do not laught at my "impeccable sticker-positioning expertise". :tongue:

Set Features

Passenger Area and Exterior Handle Bars

8375006799_5f9dd9d72a_o.png

Left: The truck comfortably seats the two minifigures inside, with the driver in front (obviously), while the fire-fighter can sit on the passenger seat at the back.

Right: Alternatively, the fire-fighter can ride the truck outside using the external handle bars (four of them, two on each side). This is one of my most favorite details in this truck, since I've seen real firemen do this kind of fire truck riding which is more 'macho' and 'adrenaline pumping' (yeah, leave the sissies sitting inside the truck :tongue:).

Water Inlet-Hydrant Connection

8376080470_4b6b6e2fb6_o.png

Located at both bottom corners at the back are water inlet which allows attachment of a water tube to transfer water from the hydrant to the fire truck's water hose (and thereby justifying the presence of the fire hydrant in this set). IIRC, this is the fire time this particular feature is included in LEGO fire trucks (pls. correct me if I'm wrong) [EDIT: 6593 Blaze Battler was the first fire vehicle to have this water inlet feature. Thanks to Marv for the info.]

Equipment Storage Compartment and Fire Hose Reel

8375005933_7a6c39aa9b_o.png

Left: A compartment in the middle of the truck allows for storage of the fire-fighting gear (helmet, oxygen mask) and the 'water-splash' add-on for the water hose, using the yellow crate. the compartment is conveniently accessible on both sides.

Right: After suiting-up with his fire-fighting gear, Fred is ready to extinguish some fire with the dedicated water hose! An observation though, it takes some efforto to completely roll out the water hose (string) as the reel is quite tight to rotate.

Fire-Fighting Equipment

8376081226_7f7ccbee7c_o.png

The set gives us a generous amount of essential fire fighting equipment: fire helmet gear with oxygen tank, electric hand saw, ax, wrench (for opening hydrants), communicatin radio (which seems to be redundant with the two-way radio printed on the fireman's torso), and a fire extinguisher. It seems everything is covered except for one minor add-on I would've wanted - a simple flash light.

Extendable Ladder

8376079536_ce7ce563f5_o.png

The ladder has five angles of elevation by virtue of the pre-set angles of the click hinges. The sturdiness of the click hinge angles, though, make up for this limitation.

8375004505_fb47479101_o.png

Of course, the ladder is extendable, with a maximum height of 7-and-a-half superheores standard minifigs ~ 37 bricks high. For any modular city set-up, this fire truck can adequately attend to any multi-level fire-fighting needs of your modular buildings. :wink:

8375004857_481f178056_o.png

The ladder can also be rotated on either direction afforded by the turntable mechanism. However, I found it surprising that it cannot be rotated a full 360-degrees as there are two door rail pieces acting as stop mechanisms. Though after second thought this set-up does make sense as real life fire trucks always situate in front or at the side of the fire area, and never with their backs facing the area with fire.

Comparison with Real-life Fire Trucks

8375017793_a6de1e8961_c.jpg

I've scoured through hundreds of fire truck images on the internetz trying to find the closest real life fire truck resembling this 60002 Fire Truck model, and this is the closest match I've seen: "Ladder Truck 13" from Air Force Fire Protection, MacDill AFB Florida - from the four-wheels, ladder type, storage compartments, and just the overall length, size, and look. Though I understand the designer most probably didn't base the 60002 Fire Trucks' design on a single reference model but rather got inspiration from various real-life fire truck models.

Comparison with previous LEGO Fire Trucks

Over the years, TLG has released various fire trucks/fire engines mostly as part of fire station sets (7208, 7945, 60004), but there has been also stand-alone Fire Truck sets like 7239 (with a life boat set-up attachment) and this year's 60002 Fire Truck. Below is the comparison image of these fire trucks (though in my hast forgot the fire truck from 60004 Fire Station :sceptic:).

8376078332_9c0ab4c273_c.jpg

From Left to Right: 7945 - 7239 - 7208 - 60002 (LXF Sources: BrickWild - 7945, roamingstudio - 7239, Costy - 7208)

I think for the most part I like the overall design of 60002 better than the previous fire truck models. For me, this year's version closely resembles the general look of real-life fire trucks on top of the essential fire-fighting features.The other previous models have their own positives (7239 & 7945's ground stabilizers and safety box), but this year's model has the 'most complete' fire-fighting features compared to the other previous fire trucks. Though this is not to say that 60002 is perfect, I actually have a couple of constructive criticisms about it:

1. The windscreen, like I previously mentioned, could have been better with the standard truck windshields; and
  2. I wish the truck could have been longer, probably 3-4 studs longer to accomodate another pair of wheels at the back which will give it a monster fire truck look.

The good thing though is that these perceived minor shortcomings of this model are easily addressed through simple modifications (that's the beauty of LEGO afterall :wink:), so it's not really a huge issue at all.

Comparison with other LEGO CITY Trucks

Here is a comparison of the 60002 Fire Truck with other recent CITY trucks:

8381716653_25102c634b_o.png

(LXF Sources: PsyKater - 60016, 60018, Sjuip - 4434, Costy - 4432)

My initial concern that this fire truck 'could've been longer' seems to be justified in this comparison pic - as it is clearly shorter than most of the other CITY trucks - which is a bit disappointing since I consider fire trucks (like the reference image above) as 'monster workhorses'. Here is another view comparing the lengths of the trucks:

8382799692_94429173ca_o.png

Rating the Set:

Design – 9/10 Except for a few missed minor personal preferences, the design is very well thought-of and executed and this fire truck is probably the 'most complete' (functionality) and 'best-looking' (aesthetics) fire truck LEGO has ever released.

Build – 7/10 There really was no overwhelmingly clever technique nor a new building style to be admired in this set. Everything was just the standard straightforward building process we've all been accustomed to.

Parts – 8/10 The two new pieces are always welcome, but the rest are relatively common. The reds will definitely be useful in MOCs for other themes.

Minifigures – 8/10 Gotta give credit to the surprisngly good detailing of the figs, even for a non-Licensed theme such as CITY (just goes to show the consistency of high quality of minifigs across all LEGO themes :classic:). Also loved the fact that both figs have distinctly different roles (outfit) and personalities (facial differences).

Playability – 9/10 Compared to trucks of similar price point (Dump Truck, Ambulance, Garbage Truck, Cement Truck), this has more playability features that would keep a young'n busy playing for hours imagining himself as a fire-fighter. :classic:

Price – 9/10 The price is consistent with the other truck set releases of years past, so the price is not an issue. (Actually I got this at even lower price than the SRP here in Singapore :sweet:)

Overall: 83%

TRIPLE REVIEW CONCLUSION:

We've come to the end of our Triple Review Special, and after reviewing three sets of this year's new Fire sets, I feel that TLG did quite a good job at reinventing the CITY Fire product line, giving us fresh takes of the Fire set regulars that are significant improvements over previous releases. IMO, it was a good idea for them to release three small sets featuring three different Fire-themed vehicles that would work as stand-alones or as a combined group, like this batch I got!

8376077716_7c395070e0_o.png

For a decent price of $39, you'd be able to assemble a 'Fire Squad' or a 'Fire Task Force' having a fire truck, a fire car, and a fire motorcycle ready for action, ably manned by a competent group of firefighters with their unique capabilities and strengths. What more could you ask for? :classic:

8375003403_27a3209113_o.png

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and take a look at this series of reviews. :classic: 'til next time!

You could also look at my previous reviews if you haven't seen it yet. :classic:

8378041793_6ea717610c_o.png 60000 - Fire Motorcycle Review

8379119790_7eedb18dc5_o.png 60001 - Fire Chief Car Review

Thanks for the nice review. I am personnally pleased that TLG has decided to replace the 7239 Fire Truck from 2005. Didn't like the look of that one and surprised it lasted so long but must have been a good seller.

This Fire Truck is similar in looks to 7208 but much better. The comparison you made to this new Fire truck to the real one is realistic. It is a more all round fire truck, like a "Quint" compared to 7208 which is more a turntable ladder.

I will definatley get this set. I like the introduction of the new ladder piece that lego have made, but wish they would bring out a ladder peice that is the same length as the truck, even though its a kids toy after all,it would maybe look realistic.

Ive not voted yet on the "which is the best fire truck" vote yet as up until now 7945 was my favourite so still undecided. You should edit your original post to include the picture of the Fire truck from 6004 Fire station.

Thanks again 'KDM' for an excellent review of the most AWESOME of the Lego city/town fire trucks.....realistic and with just about everything you need to fight a fire.

Now I will get a little picky now, pick one.....no where really to store feed hose, pick two.....a power saw hanging off the back of the truck ?, pick three.....no shovel and crow bar - both useful in fire fighting.....in fact original town fire sets came with a pick axe and shovel :blush:.

Apart from that I :wub: the set, yep these have made it to Oz stores.....built mine last week and enjoyed the build. :grin:

Ha! I'm in the United States Air Force, and I'm now going to have to start checking our fire trucks to see if they look like 60002. I've never been to MacDill, but if I ever drive by the base fire station where I'm out now, I'll have to see if they match. I don't know if we buy standardized trucks or not.

Great looking truck, although I do think it's inexcusable that Lego can't figure out how to get two minifigures in the cab of a six-wide vehicle. I realize that the wheel well blocks would get in the way of those chairs, but it's still annoying.

Great review, I can tell you you spent a lot of time with these. I got this set last night to replace the original old FB fire truck. It's been said elsewhere, but it just barely fits height wise in the FB bay and sticks out of the back quite a bit so some modding is required. I really feel though that it is a good enough truck to warrant a renovation of the FB bay. I've been waiting for a good replacement for a long time!

Located at both bottom corners at the back are water inlet which allows attachment of a water tube to transfer water from the hydrant to the fire truck's water hose (and thereby justifying the presence of the fire hydrant in this set). IIRC, this is the fire time this particular feature is included in LEGO fire trucks (pls. correct me if I'm wrong).

6593 Blaze Battler had a similar system ;-) http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6593-1

I really enjoyed reading this review. Thank you for that.

It seems to be one of the best city sets in this years lineup.

Edited by marv

Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciate it. :classic: And glad to know I'm not the only who sees 60002 as probably the best among all fire trucks ever released.

Now I will get a little picky now, pick one.....no where really to store feed hose, pick two.....a power saw hanging off the back of the truck ?, pick three.....no shovel and crow bar - both useful in fire fighting.....in fact original town fire sets came with a pick axe and shovel :blush:.

1) I haven't tried it, but the feed hose can probably fit inside the storage compartment.

2) I agree the hanging equipment outside the truck (power saw, wrench, ax) are all unsafe practice in the real world. But this is understandably for better presentation of the product, as the truck would look quite bare without those equipment showing outside. At the very least, you could always store them inside the spacious equipment compartment. :wink:

3) Shovel and crowbar? I agree those would have been welcome additional equipment for this truck! Though on the bright side those two are quite common pieces so not a big deal.

6593 Blaze Battler had a similar system ;-) http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=6593-1

Thanks for the heads up. That is such an old Fire set that I completely overlooked it, though you are right that the water inlet feature isn't the first time for a LEGO fire truck. Thanks for the correction. :classic:

Great review.

I recon this fire truck is the best fire truck LEGO have ever made. Great parts selection (flat windscreen, tilt roller doors for the sides, new ladder piece, detailing pieces etc) and great design.

Now that feed hose I have stored in the storage compartment.......I guess buying a spare shovel and crow bar I could add to it. :wink:

Out of curiosity, I tried to compare the 60002 Fire Truck with other recent CITY trucks, and my initial concern that this fire truck 'could've been longer' seems to be justified in these comparison pics:

8381716653_25102c634b_o.png

(LXF Sources: PsyKater - 60016, 60018, Sjuip - 4434, Costy - 4432)8382799692_94429173ca_o.png

The comparison images clearly show that this fire truck is shorter than most of the other CITY trucks - which is quite disappointing since I consider fire trucks (like the reference image above) as 'monster workhorses'. :sceptic: So I may just have to mod it to suit my personal preference.

Interesting to see them that way, I don't often think of a laddered fire truck as being smaller than a garbage truck. I guess in a way though I am glad it isn't too much bigger or it would be hanging off the baseplate in my Fire Brigade. With a little modification it seems to be a pretty decent fit for that.

Keep in mind guys that European fire trucks are often much smaller than US ones.

I remember watching Nat Geo's Mega Factories episode on LEGO, and they did show designers doing actual visits to check on places/vehicles to draw inspiration (Police HQ in that episode), so you might be right that 60002's design is more European than American.

Again, my minor issue with the length is just a personal preference. I actually think the current length is ok, but could still be improved to compare well with other LEGO trucks.

I agree. I think 60002 is pretty close to this german fire truck

Thanks, that's probably the closest match to 60002 (much better comparison than the MacDill one). :classic:

I remember watching Nat Geo's Mega Factories episode on LEGO, and they did show designers doing actual visits to check on places/vehicles to draw inspiration (Police HQ in that episode), so you might be right that 60002's design is more European than American.

Again, my minor issue with the length is just a personal preference. I actually think the current length is ok, but could still be improved to compare well with other LEGO trucks.

Thanks, that's probably the closest match to 60002 (much better comparison than the MacDill one). :classic:

Hi KielDaMan. I would say this 6002 is more likely based on an applaince similar to the MacDill one albiet it a smaller scale. This quint style with ladders is rarely seen in Europe. They come with booms like the ones on 79465. If 6002 had come with detachable ladders it would have been more like the fire engine pic posted by MrDarthLord. The appliance pic posted by marv, an out and out turntable ladder is what the engine that comes with 6004 Fire Station will be based on.

Awesome triple review, KielDaMan! Thanks a lot for it! I was already completely in love with this firetruck, but now... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Nice review, good photos :classic:

Great fire truck. My 3 year old wanted this as soon as he saw it, it's a really nice toy, fun to play with.

Probably an MB Econic low-floor ladder quint (the bin truck is probably an Econic too). But eh, who knows, it's a toy not a scale model. :wink:

Awesome triple review, KielDaMan! Thanks a lot for it! I was already completely in love with this firetruck, but now... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Thanks, glad you liked the triple review. :sweet: I must agree I also instantly liked this truck the first time I saw the set and it's worth every penny I've spent. (I'd even go as far to say this is the best truck for 2013, for me, even better than the new cement truck, flatbed truck, and the new tanker truck).

Great review KDM. I absolutely love the picture comparing the span of the ladder to the stacked-up superhero figures - genius!

Thanks! Actually if I had multi-storey modular buildings I would've used that to better show the length of the extendable ladder, but I guess a stack of superheroes is a good alternative. :grin:

Nice review, good photos :classic:

Great fire truck. My 3 year old wanted this as soon as he saw it, it's a really nice toy, fun to play with.

Thanks man. yeah I agree I'm sure kids would have quite the fun playing this with all the playability features - heck even I, a childlish adult, enjoyed playing 'testing' the features myself. :grin:

Thanks for the review! I love Lego vehicles and hope to add this to my collection soon. Seems like the Fire Dept got a lot of funding the past two years compared to the police!

Hi. I'm new here.

I think this truck looks just like a Sasgar Type B: http://www.sasgar.com.au/fire-fighting-vehicles/typeb

AKA an 'Alpha' appliance for Queensland Fire and Rescue Service.

4778232925_b012d00970_z.jpg

Which is quite neat because the truck from the 60003 set it a splitting image of the 'Juliette' ladder trucks used by QFRS. A perfect pair!

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=60003-1

1203459692_739ud-M.jpg

60002 is the best fire engine TLG have produced in my eyes, and I like the more European, 6 stud wide reduction.

As others have said, nice model with good part selection, just a shame about the large DSS!

I think this truck looks just like a Sasgar Type B: http://www.sasgar.co...-vehicles/typeb

AKA an 'Alpha' appliance for Queensland Fire and Rescue Service.

Which is quite neat because the truck from the 60003 set it a splitting image of the 'Juliette' ladder trucks used by QFRS. A perfect pair!

http://www.brickset....il/?Set=60003-1

Yes, it sure does like Sasgar Type B in terms of size except for the ladder type used. And good to see too the 60003 fire truck equivalent in real life!

As others have said, nice model with good part selection, just a shame about the large DSS!

I understand why stickers are unpopular, but this one is quite ok with me since it gives the necessary details on the fire truck. These stickers serve as the ciustomized prints that real-life fire trucks have (just look at the examples above).

Thanks for the review!! It was a tough choice for my favourite; I ended up choosing the platform truck from 7945, as is most closely resembled a Bronto Hydraulic Platform straight out of the box. I really like this truck as well and feel that it closely resembles a Scania Telesquirt / Teleboom that the Metropolitan fire brigade operate in Melbourne, Australia. (Not my photo, copyrighted to the photographer. Found doing a net search.)

post-1717-0-70253100-1359247457_thumb.jpg

Edited by marvinblue