Lego1975

Painting parts?

Well I have been searching and looking and gathering all the parts and pieces I need to build my first "set" of MOC Locos. I have collected some decals(O scale) and have collected all the bricks i need to make the following engine....

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGfNICqaYExu9aJ2vBa5HA2X-TzXTX-AOA9IHjSbF4Cf8LRlqiyg

And the parts and and pieces to make the freight version(black) same deco but not enough dark blue for the passenger loco and passenger cars....

http://t1.gstatic.co...ztR7NLBX7d4kNWY

what are folks thoughts on dying the parts needed to the dark blue......?

Thanks....

Edited by Lego1975

what are folks thoughts on dying the parts needed to the dark blue......?

I'm not sure that that is the best idea. You'ld have to ensure every piece is painted consistently and it would be prone to scratches. Have you checked this

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp

You may find that that elusive color is already supported by TLG although you may have to change which pieces you use for which part of the Train.

Good luck though and please let us know what you decide to do!

You're probably going to get some purists telling you painting parts is going to the dark side and some other people telling you painting is fine.

I would say, if the dark blue parts aren't there you either figure out an alternative design with parts that are available or find another prototype to build.

I agree with Duq. People will either agree or disagree, but what is best for you is quite independent of either stance.

I'm not a total purist but I've never seen a paint job that has the same appearance as unpainted LEGO so I wouldn't do it. If you are really intending to dye rather than paint, I'd be interested to see if the finished product actually looks like official LEGO parts. If so I'd be inclined to go for it. Has anyone had any success dyeing LEGO?

Printing them on vinyl is also a nice option :) I still have problems reproducing those ugly halftones that LEGO uses in Santa Fe stickers etc ;)

I have painted some bricks black in the distant past in days before bricklink and the internet in general, (around 1992.) when I ran out and needed a few to finish off a project, but I had no other way of obtaining the parts I wanted. Nowadays I would not consider it, but it is at the end of the day up to you. If you think you can pull off what you want to do. It will be interesting to see the results though so make sure you post them on here.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but the 2013 set 6007 (High Speed Chase) has a nice dark blue windshield like the one the Santa Fe Super Chief used.