40 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding!

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Welcome to the review of one the amazing sets from one of the coolest new themes for 2013, Legends of Chima. Lets get into it already! I present

70004 Wakz' Pack Tracker

gallery_2955_234_23122.jpg

Name: 70004 Wakz' Pack Tracker

Theme: LEGO System / Legends Of Chima

Year: 2013

Pieces: xxx

Minifigs: 3 minifigures

Price: USD $29.99, GBP 29.99, EURO 31.99, 44.99 $Aus

Resources: Brickset

Front Box Art

It seems the Chima world has some parallels to the Avatar world of Pandora. I know a fair few AFOL's who like to build floating rocks, so expect a few new and interesting MOC's in future from this theme. From the looks of the box, this set will contain 3 nicely detailed minifigures and a wolf-like (lupine) vehicle for the baddies!

gallery_2955_234_97526.jpg

Rear Box Art

The rear image is packed with all the play features of the set, and by the looks of it, there are plenty!

gallery_2955_234_154278.jpg

Close ups of the Box Art

The three amazingly detailed minifigures are featured in addition to the usual scale image to represent the exact size of the minifigures.

gallery_2955_234_89239.jpg

Another close up of the figures.

gallery_2955_234_54789.jpg

The mystical banner art depicting the CHI energy that flows through the Chima legends.

gallery_2955_234_121898.jpg

A rear winch to retrieve the flick missile.

gallery_2955_234_50206.jpg

gallery_2955_234_66099.jpg

Instructions

Time to take a look at the glossy instruction manual in all its details!

gallery_2955_234_16685.jpg

A look at the entire theme sets so far, I hope there will be more waves coming!

gallery_2955_234_40791.jpg

A look at the Speedorz sets. Featuring a similar style of interaction to the Ninjago spinners, this will get people excited with more than just the building!

gallery_2955_234_72777.jpg

Access to the online world of Chima.

gallery_2955_234_105980.jpg

gallery_2955_234_25058.jpg

The complete character line up for the first wave of Chime sets!

gallery_2955_234_100958.jpg

Heroes

gallery_2955_234_102929.jpg

Villains

gallery_2955_234_8159.jpg

Random instruction page featuring the new upside down bracket piece

gallery_2955_234_43041.jpg

Box Contents

Three numbered polybags and an extra "3" bag with yellow half-bush pieces that must have been left out originally in production.

gallery_2955_234_34163.jpg

Can't forget the four gigantic wheels!

8293890500_e86377dc5f_z.jpg

Bag One

Let's take a look inside the first bag to reveal some surprises....

Some nice dark red pieces, greebly dark grey hinges, tan bricks with studs on the side and loads of interesting minifig parts.

8292835497_3fce799b6e_z.jpg

8293890266_4eb8312e7d_z.jpg

Some of the more interesting parts that caught my eye include the new axe mold, the new crystal mold, the bracket piece, new sword which fits a light sabre blade and the new studs on side piece from the Hobbit sets which looks to be 2x 87087's. Castle builds will probably be interested in this piece for more stability.

8293890038_b8fedd73ab_z.jpg

Minifigures

Lets take a look at the amazing figures in more detail! I present Equila, Winzar and Wakz. All with double sided heads and so much printing on the legs and torsos.

8293939024_4dbbaf3922_z.jpg

Now with the beautifully molded head pieces!

8295481476_3a25f52e82_z.jpg

A closer look at Equila from all angles.

8295481384_61c6e631a5_z.jpg

Bad boys!

8294425311_a3f868543d_z.jpg

Progress

Completed bag 1 of the build. Still not seeing too much of the final design yet.

8295481294_d5e5853446_z.jpg

Bag Two

Here we see the contents of bag 2 laid out. Some nice wedge plates are always useful as is the new bracket design.

8295481220_61626d8771_z.jpg

It's almost impossible to make the technic pins sit neatly on my table.

8294426451_52f9a415b7_z.jpg

Progressing through the build

Now we see the beast taking shape. Wakz' or any member of the wolf pack would be proud to show this bad boy off around town.

8294425879_e3af777b70_z.jpg

Bag Three

Some more interesting parts shown in bag three include the old faithful missile launcher, guaranteed to cause damage if aimed at eyes! Some cool flame pieces and more dark red goodies round out the selection of useful grey parts. The little technic arm pieces are new to me and seem quite useful and loads of teeth!

8295480718_5af8aa23e0_z.jpg

8294425945_af8839d92d_z.jpg

Completed Build

End of the road

8295480376_265d6ca1d1_z.jpg

Time to bask in the sweet detailing of the Pack Tracker, not only does it feature impressive rockets on the sides, but an ferocious wolf face, off-road wheels for heavy duty driving and a opening mouth that closes once per rotation of the front axle.

8294425667_607f378e66_z.jpg

8295480188_a20f41645d_z.jpg

8295479878_fe3311935a_z.jpg

Conclusion

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (Plenty of moving parts including the mouth, ears, eyebrows, spring-loaded missile and spiked tail.)

Design: 9/10 (A really cool design, by angling the Pack tracker down, it feels like the wolf is close enough to pursue and bite the victims it is chasing. The design itself is very hardy and has held up under tough play conditions, except when dropped from over a metre :cry_sad: , but hey it is LEGO after all, just pick it up and rebuild)

Price: 7/10 (I feel this is a tad high price wise, but this is a great looking set, and probably worth the cost!)

Overall: 9/10 (A fine addition to the line of Chima, this set has loads of play features and travels pretty quickly on the floor or off-road, round it out with some of the most detailed figures seen from LEGO and TLC are on a winner. I can only imagine the how much fun the designers had working on this set, but I know the excitement my two sons had when they first laid eyes on this set, let alone the fights over who gets to play with it :laugh: )

I gave it a "34/40" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: 3D"http://farm9.staticflCbr />

I thank you for taking the time to check out this review and cast your vote on how much you like it, I welcome any comments and criticisms you may have.

Thanks,

I Scream Clone.

Dear all,

The special exclusive Legends Of Chima review is completed and reviewed by ISC.

This review is now officially fit for public viewing. Please feel free to leave your thoughts.

WhiteFang

Thank you for your review!

I must say, I do not share the same feelings as you do ISC, I find this no more than average...

The build looks interesting and fun, but the result seem a little disappointing.

And is Wakz wearing a tail of a dead member of his tribe? *huh*

Thank you for the review! :thumbup:

The vehicle looks too technic-y for my liking, nevertheless, the minifigures looked fantastic both with and without their "helmet".

Thank you for the review! :thumbup:

The vehicle looks too technic-y for my liking, nevertheless, the minifigures looked fantastic both with and without their "helmet".

Agreed. The wolf figures could have been great for a Castle fantasy setting if not for the insistance of all Chima figures to have that blue crystal thingie painted on the torsos, in spite of their armor having one as well. A bit of a shame, as they otherwise look great and feature amazing heads.

Can't see myself buying this one. Not really my sort of set. I don't like the plastic wheels The minifgures are nice though. Really like the new little wing pieces.

Kids seem to love those firing cannon things. My cousins were obsessed with the one in my Lunar Limo. Far better than the flick firing kind.

I am really disappointed with the chimas collection. I thought that it was less ugly and more playable. In my opinion, the minifigures are not that great. I am hoping to see it in a brand store, builded, to have my last impression

BTW, thanks for the review!!!!!!

Thanks ISC for the review! :thumbup:

I'm not really a fan of this set, too few useful pieces and although the minifigs are detailed and well done for their purpose, they don't really cut it for me. The amount of technic parts in this theme, just as in previous action themes, is too high. In my opinion the action themes suffer from being too focused on play features and not enough options for freestyle building with the pieces. Luckily there are other themes from LEGO that provides that.

Still want a lot of those wing pieces though! :wub:

Another great and insightful Chima review, thanks ISC.

I'm less impressed by this model than I am with Eris's Interceptor, I'm not sure if it's the lack of volume under the chassis and around the wheels or just the overall look of the vehicle, but I'm just not sold on this in the same way... but again the minifigs are something special! I really like that each minifig has 3 faces/heads that can be used - these have a ton of mileage in MOCs. Is the general consensus on these that stylistically the 'helmet' is the head with extra use provided by the base head prints, or that it's simply a helmet? Curious about folks' thoughts on that one....

I'm liking this more from the detailed pictures. The baddies in this theme really appeal to me, I'll likely try to get this one. Thanks for the nice pictures.

Thanks for the awesome review with the detailed pictures! I have been eagerly awaiting the Chima sets, and the wolf and hawk figures in particular. The vehicle is not particularly impressive, but the figures more than make up for it! I agree that the blue orb detracts a little from the utility of the torso, but I can work with it in my castle theme, and there will be some use for those wolf heads in Star Wars (Bothans anyone?) I can hardly wait until my Lego store releases this on the first!

Thanks for the good review. The Chima theme is warming up to me with these pictures, I actually think I like the wolves the most of what I've seen this far. They have a feral look. I might get this for the figs, not that big a fan of the pack tracker but ok parts.

Thanks for the review! I have to admit that I really like the look of this set. That wolf face just looks awesome. And the figures aren't too bad either, especially those wolves (particularly the one with the claw marks in his eye).

Thank you ISC for this fine review. I enjoyed reading it and viewing these pictures. It appears like some sort of Monster Truck with the Wolves banner leading the charge. Not too bad and I am very surprised of the firm technic built used in this set. Very nicely done up. As usual, getting this set for the Wolves minifigs will be a pretty good excuse.

No stickers? The flag is printed? I just love the wolves here, although their helmets (big heads, whatever) are not as good as the eagle's helmet (which has a horrible head print). I hate the mouth print on Winzar (mainly helmet mouth, but head mouth is just as bad...). That's my two cents

No stickers? The flag is printed? I just love the wolves here, although their helmets (big heads, whatever) are not as good as the eagle's helmet (which has a horrible head print). I hate the mouth print on Winzar (mainly helmet mouth, but head mouth is just as bad...). That's my two cents

Yes all items are printed.

Thanks for all the comments so far guys.

The wolfes look like Predators with their masks on, stick on some dreads and your done.

predator+drawing.jpg

Maaan, those minifigs are awesome... At first, I thought Legends of Chima was going to be another boring theme (heh, im not a big fan of fantasy themes), but I acctually like it. Thank you for the review 'I Scream Clone', now we have an idea of what Chima will be: Human-like animals and vehicles. Yeah!

Having bought and built this today (really wanted to have some Wolf faction contingent) I'm happy to say that my original skepticism has given way... very cool model, cool features and of course, mega minifigs!

I've got 4 Chima sets now and I've also got to say there is a certain complexity of build for these that makes them really interesting and fun to assemble, even on the smaller sets (thinking Lennox's Lion Attack there).