Would anyone here know how to build one of these things, just like in a bicycle. I am making a geared down R/C car and I would like it to coast. Ratio is 1:3 so the engine brake is very strong.

Cheers

You can try to look at the this year 9396 Helicopter. It contains very simple clutch, that allows rotor to continue spinning after motor is turned off.

You can try to look at the this year 9396 Helicopter. It contains very simple clutch, that allows rotor to continue spinning after motor is turned off.

I looked the instructions up and studied it, I am not 100% sure but I think it's a specialty part, the piece is at the start of instruction book 2 http://cache.lego.com/upload/contentTemplating/Technic2BuildingInstructions/otherfiles/downloadB99A0DCCFF2AAF4774C8F6CB58DB2D7C.pdf

I think one of the most used technique is "ratchet" mechanism that was talked about in

. Basic concept in that is to engage or connect the gears when they move in one direction and disengage them by letting some gears to "jump" around driving gear when the forces are used applyed to other direction. There was good picture of that mechanism
but there are also some pictures available.

I think one of the most used technique is "ratchet" mechanism that was talked about in

. Basic concept in that is to engage or connect the gears when they move in one direction and disengage them by letting some gears to "jump" around driving gear when the forces are used applyed to other direction. There was good picture of that mechanism
but there are also some pictures available.

Yes fantastic, that's what I want thanks. Lol so simple I feel dumb...

i used that mechanism in this moc...it was so cool that im using it in the new offroad car im building now :)

here's the video where i took inspiration from :)

but you'll need a brake system because otherwise your model won't stop when desidered :P

Edited by piterx

yeah! you don't even need to make it that big...its enough if you make it like this

if the model has really a lot of torque you could cut a 3 studs axle in 3 parts and put it inside of the empty part of the rubber (sorry i hope i've been clear xD)

this because those rubber parts tend to bend on theirselves if the torque is too high...but with an XL motor we all know what usually happends xD

i solved that problem filling the rubber parts with a "self made" 1 stud axle :P

2lkpa0x.jpg

Edited by piterx

Hmmm. Piterx's solution was something I thought of the other day, but I didn't have the rubber pieces to try it.

Edited by Lipko

ah...and of course you'll need a gearbox with reverse :)

Ah dammit! I'm using the RC gear, I only have two switches to work with..