• 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

[pid][/pid]

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

25.jpg

6267titre.png

Introduction

Welcome to my second review on Eurobricks! On my way to review every old Pirates set that I buy new (full story on my 6247 - Bounty Boat review), this time I've chosen one of the few classic sets with our beloved bluecoats : the Lagoon Lock-Up! Time to discover how a once peaceful inn has become a fortified place!

Product Details

Set No: 6267

Set Name: Lagoon Lock-Up (USA) - Soldiers' Tavern (UK) - La taverne des soldats (France) - Hafenschänke (Germany) - Zeerovers-landingsplaats (Netherlands)

Theme: Pirates

Released: 1991-1993

Minifigures: 5

Pieces: 187

RRP: $24,99

Purchase Price: $80 new on Bricklink

~Box~

Front

01.jpg

As usual with older sets, we get a nice picture of the set on a pre-rendered background. Luckily I got the rare yellow-box version from the very early sets (1989 to 1991), instead of the common purple box. I really love the overall colors, it has a fantastic tropical appeal, and it's just screaming "open my lid!".

Back

02.jpg

Here we have 4 (!) alternate models, although they're quite similar to each other. I'll cover them in the next chapter.

Side

10.jpg

An alternate setup of the main model.

12.jpg

Let's all cry together. Damn, where did I park my DeLorean?

Back of the lid

03.jpg

Here we have a good story to start the adventure, among nice shots of the model. I wish TLG still made those lids, and be willing to pay a few more bucks for them. I remember looking under every lid in stores as a child, full of dreams. For those who want to read the story, let's have a closer look :

04.jpg

Quite comprehensive, isn't it? It's funny to see that eventually, the pirates aren't really the bad guys, since they're just after their ancestors' gold.

Under the lid

05.jpg

THIS is the reason I love those lids! A fantastic overview of what you get, and we can hear a loud scream "BUY ME!". The round cuts also add a nice touch, we clearly see that TLG wasn't trying to limit the costs back in those days.

~Alternate models~

Alternate model 1

06.jpg

Alternate model 2

07.jpg

Alternate model 3

08.jpg

Alternate model 4

09.jpg

Nothing to comment, the pictures speak for themselves. As I said earlier, they're quite similar. I still like how they put the pirates in water by removing the legs in the third one, and the arch that hold the rowboat in the fourth.

~Box opening~

Yo-ho-ho! Every remaining MISB Lagoon Lock-Up now has gone up in value! :jollyroger:

Inside the box

14.jpg

One plastic tray, four bags and a few loose plates, blue baseplate and the jail door. They have stayed in this box for 21 years, time to let them breathe a little!

20.jpg

Promotional catalog

15.jpg

A small catalog promoting 1991 sets.

Random (really?) catalog page

16.jpg

I could look at those diorama for hours and hours, not you? By the way, can someone tell me what is redbeard doing with the maiden at the Black Seas Barracuda's stern :pir_laugh2: ?

Instructions

17.jpg

Exactly the same picture as the box, or is it...? Time for a little "spot the difference" game!

29.jpg

Did you spot it? The cannon is the american non-shooting version on the box, and the european version on the instructions. Do you know any other set that have american version on the cover? As far as I know, it's also the case for 6273 - Rock Island Refuge. I first thought of some kind of photo retouching, but looking closer I saw that the american version cannon has been pushed a very little to the left (we see more red at the left of the white brick underneath). Also, every other pictures has this difference (even alternate models). TLG sure did have an eye for detail!

Back of the instructions

19.jpg

Two already-seen alternate models, and a nice portrait of captain redbeard.

Random instructions page

18.jpg

No part callout, and a nice amount of brick put each step. Old-styled instructions, nothing to add!

~Parts and minifigures~

Part layout

21.jpg

First, I'll NEVER do that again :pir-grin: . A lot of white parts, and overall a nice assortment of colors. Interesting parts are the rare 6 * 24 black plate (only found in this set), the large Bluecoat flag, brown doors, and the cloth sail (which make its very first appearance, with a blue alternative on 6273 - Rock Island Refuge). The cannon, as said above, is the non-shooting version, which is much better in my humble opinion, since I don't play with Lego and this one looks way better that the "flat" shooting one. As a kid though I'm glad I got the shooting ones! There is no additional part.

Minifigures

22.jpg

Good old times, 5 minifigs for a ~150 parts set. Okay, we have another captain redbeard, which earn the reward for being the "greatest most distributed minifig ever", but three bluecoats :wub: ! Who would say no to three bluecoats? We also get an almost-exclusive pirate (in this assembly, it also appears in 6255 Pirates Comic), named Bo'Sun Will. Overall, as a standalone, this is a fantastic selection for playing.

~The build~

Building the small ship

23.jpg

Here we can see the structure that will hold the sail. It's placed on a turntable so it can face any direction.

24.jpg

Plenty of room for our beloved captain! If there is no wind, he still has two oars to go wherever he wants! I love the simple yet effective design, which will be reused many times in upcoming waves with color variation. Just one thing : HOW can redbeard hold his cutlass with his hook?

After step 1

30.jpg

With the help of a bird-eye view instruction, we have placed the bricks that will hold the two large black plates. The yellow brick is supposed to be sand : this is where the palmtree will be placed.

After step 6

31.jpg

The four antennas will be at the back of the jail. Slowly the tavern is taking form with the two doors added. We cannot see it but there is a red panel inside which is supposed to be some sort of bar I think (pictures of it can be found under the finished model section).

After step 10

32.jpg

I just LOVE the sunblind. It's only made of four bricks, but this is what makes the set look fantastic. Without it I don't think it would look like a tavern. Next we only have to add the jail door, the roof and it's finished, so let's go.

~The finished model~

Overall view

25.jpg

An old tavern fortified to help battle against pirates. That's what they say, that's what we see, that's what we get. I can see only one little design flaw, it lacks a ladder to access the roof. Other than that it's an absolute winner on everything : colors, minifigs, sturdiness, playability. No wonder why this is one of the most appreciated set among the most appreciated Lego pirates wave. Just one thing : HOW can redbeard hold his pistol with his hook?

Bird-eye view

26.jpg

The cannon design is flawless, with amazing details. We got as usual six cannonballs and one additionnal musket.

Back view

27.jpg

Here we can see the "bar". Pretty simple is the least I can say... Look at how the four antennas are enclosed by an arch to close the jail : it looks perfect!

One more view

28.jpg

Imagine the set without that sunblind, it would really be lacking something don't you think? It still looks like a nice place to live in.

~Final thoughts~

Design: 10/10 - The pictures speak for themselves. Plus it's the one and only pirates/soldiers tavern you can get. How could they live without it?

Parts: 8/10 - Great colors, but a lot of common parts.

Minifigs: 10/10 - Okay, one more redbeard, but for building a story there couldn't have been a better selection.

Build: 6/10 - The jail design is good and the small ship makes its first appearance. No advanced technique is used.

Playability: 10/10 - Three good guys, two bad guys, a tavern, a jail, a boat, a cannon. Need I say more?

Alternate models: 4/10 - They are just small variations of the main model. I've seen much better alternate models among pirates sets!

Price: 10/10 - $24,99. If it still was in store, I'd buy all I could find. Nowadays we can easily find it for about $50, which is still a very fair price for such a great set.

Conclusion: 10/10 - A legend among bluecoats set, a beautiful design, a fantastic minifigs selection, top playability : this is simply what every Lego model should be.

Edited by Boomchil

Another great review with great pictures. I'm becoming slightly jealous of these new Pirates sets you have. I hope we see more Pirate reviews from you as you work your way up in the Reviewers Academy!

Another fantastic review and classic set. Maybe Captain Redbeard is the most common minifig because he sails into a fortified lagoon with a bright red and white sailboat and nothing but a pistol :pir-oh::cannon: Quantity has a quality all its own...

Nice review, 'Boomchil'! :pir-sweet:

This is another classic set... The 2009 Soldiers' Fort set reminds me of this one.

What a wonderful review. I had this set when I was a child and still own it. Unfortunately its no longer in the prime of its life. To see a MISB copy brings back so many happy memories. This was one of my favourite Blue Coat seats. I always regarded it as the pirate equivalent to the Guarded Inn.

Good job on this one :thumbup:

Nice spotting job with those covers :sweet:

Released: 1991-1993

Wow... always thought this one comes from the 80s... they did very good... has better quality than sets from 92-93... 91 was the very top for Pirates series... :wub: later era of Imperials and "let's invent more than we need" came :wink:

It's funny to see that eventually, the pirates aren't really the bad guys, since they're just after their ancestors' gold.

Of course they are! They've always been... Crimson Pirate proved that! :laugh:

Yo-ho-ho! Every remaining MISB Lagoon Lock-Up now has gone up in value! :jollyroger:

Please don't say that anymore... people have ears... and I don't wanna buy this for 500 $ :wink:

15.jpg

A small catalog promoting 1991 sets.

I've never seen this on before. Does it have a different cover? There's no YEAR on it as it should be.

16.jpg

I could look at those diorama for hours and hours, not you? By the way, can someone tell me what is redbeard doing with the maiden at the Black Seas Barracuda's stern :pir_laugh2: ?

I always used to play "spot cpt. Redbeard" on this one :sweet: He's shown so many times... there's even one cursed to be a monkey :wink: Look...

diorama.png

... interestingly there are two strange guests on this picture. Someone who is apparently Governor's son... and a golden parrot making friends with good old Polly... or whatever her name was :wink: maybe my golden parrot from CC is alive too.... have to check...

always cheered for that Soldier running akimbo with two pistols :laugh:

I just LOVE the sunblind. It's only made of four bricks, but this is what makes the set look fantastic. Without it I don't think it would look like a tavern. Next we only have to add the jail door, the roof and it's finished, so let's go.

That's exactly the whole secret of old Lego's magic - simplicity simplicity simplicity... and great creativity behind it :wub::sweet:

Edited by Mazin

I had a choice between this and Sabre Island a little while back, and I chose Sabre Island. I still regret it. This set is just amazing!

Yeah... my friend had Sabre Island, Lagoon-Lock up seems to be a much more "complete" set... Sabre Island looks more like a alternate model... but still a good one :sweet:

Well, all is not lost... you still can get yourself a new one... just leave one box for me :wink:

Yeah... my friend had Sabre Island, Lagoon-Lock up seems to be a much more "complete" set... Sabre Island looks more like a alternate model... but still a good one :sweet:

Well, all is not lost... you still can get yourself a new one... just leave one box for me :wink:

Yes, perhaps I'll get it eventually, but for now I'm focusing on getting the pieces for the BSB. I have almost all of them, just need a bricklink order or two.

Well, thinking of it it was wiser to acquire a Sabre Island back then, because today it is way more expansive than Lagoon Lock-Up if you intend to buy it MISB (~100€ for Lagoon Lock-Up, and ~200€ for Sabre Island).

Yes, perhaps I'll get it eventually, but for now I'm focusing on getting the pieces for the BSB. I have almost all of them, just need a bricklink order or two.

I'm quite surprised to read this, as you can easily find a BSB for ~80€, won't it cost you way more Bricklinking it? The sails themselves are quite expensive, add big pirate flags, original strings, hull pieces, cannons, minifigs... Or maybe you already had these rare parts?

Well, thinking of it it was wiser to acquire a Sabre Island back then, because today it is way more expansive than Lagoon Lock-Up if you intend to buy it MISB (~100€ for Lagoon Lock-Up, and ~200€ for Sabre Island).

I'm quite surprised to read this, as you can easily find a BSB for ~80€, won't it cost you way more Bricklinking it? The sails themselves are quite expensive, add big pirate flags, original strings, hull pieces, cannons, minifigs... Or maybe you already had these rare parts?

I do already have most of the rare parts (sails, hulls, strings, minifigs +extra). The only "rare" pieces I need is a big flag, mast piece, one cannon, and some window-type peices. It'll still cost a bundle, but definitely less than purchasing the entire set.

Amazing review of an even more amazing set that I am proud to say I own!

The only point in which I disagree with you is the alternate model score; while we were little, it was fun to think what was the order of parts in building them. I would give it at least 7 or 8 out of 10! Or it could be just my reminisce... :classic:

Either way, the review is amazing and I enjoyed it as much as the rest.

What a great review. This was my first pirate theme set. I just loved it! I actually just rebuilt it the other day. What a nice surprise to see it reviewed on here. Keep up the good work.