Sign in to follow this  
Dorayaki

Licensed System instead of Duplo only?

I'm often concerned that LEGO just made part of the licensed themes in Duplo, which have actual potentials in large System sets and buildings:

Winnie the Pooh: not really suitable for large building sets, but I'd love see some more realistic treehouses, other guys' home and other characters.

Bob the Builder: originally cartoon for kids, so maybe LEGO didn't plan to make little vehicle characters like Pixar Cars do? If this is a System theme, it can be a good adddition to City construction sets.

Thomas and Friends: If this is Takara Tomy in Japan, I believe that there are big potentials for LEGO to enlarge their train system with licensed systems. Or it's TT who dooesn't want LEGO to compete with them?

Dora the Explorer: owned by Nickelodeon, but the only one except Spongebob and Avatar that don't appear as System. I think there could be some action bricks for this theme.

Disney Princesses: the sets seem to simply aim at little girls learn to play with princesses characters while the sets don't actually contain the background stories (eg, evil queen's chase), and I'd love to see realistic castles in System. On the other hand, LEGO's original Castle sets mostly stress on wars, princess stories could be a nice addition to Castle sets.

Toy Story/Cars: both are the Pixar franchises and made in both Duplo and System brands. Some of them give the examples to give simple and comlex scenes as bricks.

I think while Duplo is a starter series for new brick players, the reason LEGO made licensed Duplo is mostly for market profits. But in Car and Toy story, I do think these can give young players interests in System LEGOS, while Duplo-only theme could make negative side effects.

Edited by Dorayaki

I think the reason these themes you listed are Duplo-only is because they mostly appeal to young kids, kids too young for System. :wink: Still, I suppose those themes could bring interesting new molds!

Like purpleparadox said, I doubt that anyone over the age of 5 would want most of those themes as system sets. The reason why the Pixar and Mickey Mouse sets did fairly well as system themes is because they appeal to people of all ages. The only exception maybe is the Disney Princess line which indeed has a lot of potential as a system line and would probably appeal to a fair number of TFOLs/AFOLs as well. We can only wait and hope that TLG decides to go system with those sets like they did with Cars, but as for the other licenses, I'm just fine with them staying Duplo.

Like purpleparadox said, I doubt that anyone over the age of 5 would want most of those themes as system sets. The reason why the Pixar and Mickey Mouse sets did fairly well as system themes is because they appeal to people of all ages.

Has it been confirmed that the Pixar themes did well? I love LEGO Toy Story as much as the next guy, but I don't think half of the theme sold well, and that the Cars theme sold well at all. :look:

I believe Disney Princess will replace Friends someday :wink:

I don't think so. Maybe sort of a subtheme, but LEGO has put too much research into Friends just to replace it with a license, even if it is down the road. :sceptic:

I'm often concerned that LEGO just made part of the licensed themes in Duplo, which have actual potentials in large System sets and buildings:

Winnie the Pooh: not really suitable for large building sets, but I'd love see some more realistic treehouses, other guys' home and other characters.

Bob the Builder: originally cartoon for kids, so maybe LEGO didn't plan to make little vehicle characters like Pixar Cars do? If this is a System theme, it can be a good adddition to City construction sets.

Thomas and Friends: If this is Takara Tomy in Japan, I believe that there are big potentials for LEGO to enlarge their train system with licensed systems. Or it's TT who dooesn't want LEGO to compete with them?

Dora the Explorer: owned by Nickelodeon, but the only one except Spongebob and Avatar that don't appear as System. I think there could be some action bricks for this theme.

Disney Princesses: the sets seem to simply aim at little girls learn to play with princesses characters while the sets don't actually contain the background stories (eg, evil queen's chase), and I'd love to see realistic castles in System. On the other hand, LEGO's original Castle sets mostly stress on wars, princess stories could be a nice addition to Castle sets.

Toy Story/Cars: both are the Pixar franchises and made in both Duplo and System brands. Some of them give the examples to give simple and comlex scenes as bricks.

I think while Duplo is a starter series for new brick players, the reason LEGO made licensed Duplo is mostly for market profits. But in Car and Toy story, I do think these can give young players interests in System LEGOS, while Duplo-only theme could make negative side effects.

I can see a huge market for the Disney Princess / Disney Castles system theme to spawn off of the Friends line. Of the others... Maybe a Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan type set to go along with them. (Actually Peter Pan or Neverland would be a really cool Pirates spin off). I don't think a Bob the Builder or Dora line would do well in the older kid oriented System lines. They seem a good fit for Duplo.

Not sure about the future of these licensed Duplo lines.

But I do so love my Disney Princess Duplos! The colors are outstanding, and the only thing I need now is a granddaughter (or grandson) to play with me and my Duplos. Too bad LEGO does not provide live grandkids to play with their toys and me!

I am a huge adult fan of Duplos....my favorite builds so far have been a sitting on the dock fishing scene and my Duploville city. It was a sad day when I had to put them away so we could use our dining room table again...for dining. Phooey!

Here's to Duplos....hip hip hoorah! Gal

Kids too young for System.

I think it's for older people or make children interest in playing System in the future, not asking a 4-year-old child to play System.

I doubt that anyone over the age of 5 would want most of those themes as system sets.

This is another point that even though some people love the theme, they don't want to play Duplo. I just thought that it's a pity these Duplo themes can't be compatible with normal sets, because most themes don't have Duplo as well.