Sign in to follow this  
Bob De Quatre

Empire revolutionary research in transportation

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

After many decades of research, Empire's scientists have finally discovered a new way to achieve terrestrial transportation!!

Obviously this publication is strictly confidential, to avoid the rebel alliance to get their hands on that technology. Any attempt to transmit information regarding this document is chargeable of death by distance force choking.

Achieving lower energy consomption than the hovering, and better stability than bipedalism or even quadrupedalism, this marvelous discovery will revolutionize the life of billions of civilians across the galaxy.

Here is a picture of what the best scientists call "the wheel":

lddscreenshot79p.png

Sorry, had to made this after seeing the OT yesterday... :sweet:

Are you kidding??? :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol:

If you are not kidding, this is a great revolutionary research in transportation for the Empire :rofl::laugh_hard:

I've watched the original trilogy, and there isn't one vehicle with wheels, except the Sandcrawler.

Seriously if the AT-AT had wheels, they wouldn't have been destroyed by a simple rope!

And the AT-ST were defeated by laying wood logs on the ground... that won't have happened if they had wheels !! :grin:

Legs provide greater movility in harsh terrain, an AT-ST can go where no wheeled vehicle can, but repulsor lift on the other hand...

Originally the AT-AT was supposed to have wheels but Lucas didnt like the idea. And was also his idea to defeat the empire with teddy bears :sceptic:.

And was also his idea to defeat the empire with teddy bears :sceptic:.

Those so-called "teddy bears" were one of my favourite parts of RotJ as a kid! Go Ewoks go!! :laugh:

By the way, Star Wars probably wouldn't exist without Lucas.

Yeah, I was thinking this too sometimes. The Empire should have stuck to AT-RTs and Juggernauts. This would have made a great basis for a single pane Star Wars funny, but now it's kinda pointless.

Legs provide greater movility in harsh terrain, an AT-ST can go where no wheeled vehicle can, but repulsor lift on the other hand...

Originally the AT-AT was supposed to have wheels but Lucas didnt like the idea. And was also his idea to defeat the empire with teddy bears :sceptic:.

I'm glad Lucas didn't like the idea. Wheels may be more efficient, but the walkers definetly look cooler and, back in the 80s, way more unusual.

As for the Ewoks, I agree that I didn't like everything about the whole Endor scene, especially not the way the Ewoks defeated the AT-STs.

But I liked the idea that the Emperor consequently underestimated the Ewoks, probably judging to their abilities from their appearance; I liked the idea that the apparently powerless can turn the tide of the battle and bring empires to fall.

I'm glad Lucas didn't like the idea. Wheels may be more efficient, but the walkers definetly look cooler and, back in the 80s, way more unusual.

As for the Ewoks, I agree that I didn't like everything about the whole Endor scene, especially not the way the Ewoks defeated the AT-STs.

But I liked the idea that the Emperor consequently underestimated the Ewoks, probably judging to their abilities from their appearance; I liked the idea that the apparently powerless can turn the tide of the battle and bring empires to fall.

You've misunderstood a bit there. The AT-AT was never 'supposed' to have anything in particular. The wheeled design for the vehicle was just one concept design out of several, and in fact one that Lucas quite liked. So much so, in fact, that 25 years later the design was re-examined and re-adapted for use in the Kashyyyk sequence of Revenge of the Sith. Today we know it as the Clone Turbo Tank.

The concept design stage of production in movies, TV and video games is utterly fascinating and often produces some absolutely beautiful artwork. Star Wars in general has had some of the best, most inventive and most creative concept work in modern media history and it's well worth investigating. Ralph McQuarrie, lead concept designer on the original trilogy, is hailed as a master of his craft. As well as vehicles, aliens and the like, concept artists will help define intangible things like the colour palette used in sequences. This is why Hoth in The Old Republic and Ord Plutonia in The Clone Wars both tend towards the blue end of the spectrum in their depictions - they're both riffing off the original 1979 McQuarrie concept paintings for the battle of Hoth.

I think it was Joe Johnston who designed the turbo tank style ATAT. Ralph McQuarrie's artwork though is beautiful. Its a great shame that he passed away earlier this year.

Do you think its possible that lego will ever make sets based on the concepts from the film? They've made action figures of the concepts before.

I'd love a McQuarrie Starkiller/Skywalker minifigure, maybe even a concept Boba Fett. They could reuse the mould for a Rako Hardeen minifigure.

mcq_ia_12.jpg?w=600

tumblr_l9bf7uPP0n1qzeek3o1_500.jpg

I think it was Joe Johnston who designed the turbo tank style ATAT. Ralph McQuarrie's artwork though is beautiful. Its a great shame that he passed away earlier this year.

Do you think its possible that lego will ever make sets based on the concepts from the film? They've made action figures of the concepts before.

I'd love a McQuarrie Starkiller/Skywalker minifigure, maybe even a concept Boba Fett. They could reuse the mould for a Rako Hardeen minifigure.

Unlikely, as Lego doesn't sell to anything like a wide enough audience to sustain a profit on such a niche item. They have a hard enough time pushing EU sets.