1. 1. What do you think of this set?

• Outstanding!
    • Great
    • Good
    • Decent
    • Pretty bad
    • Awful

tn_8443-1.jpg

Set 8443 was released in 1996, contains 327 parts, and features a grapple arm powered by two pneumatic cylinders.

tn_dscn2798.jpg

tn_dscn2799.jpg

The parts includes one small and one large pneumatic cylinder, a pump, two switches, and a large turntable.

tn_dscn2801.jpg

The 6 wheels used in this model are all 6582s, and they come in set 8829 Dune Blaster, 8280 Fire Engine and 8282 Quad Bike.

tn_dscn2802.jpg

The Instruction's first page shows how the pneumatic system works.

Anyway, on with the build.

tn_dscn2803.jpg

Starting with the front, this pneumatic cylinder is used to raise and lower the main boom.

tn_dscn2804.jpg

tn_dscn2805.jpg

tn_dscn2806.jpg

Steering setup next.

tn_dscn2807.jpg

tn_dscn2808.jpg

The first pneumatic switch is placed at step 7.

tn_dscn2809.jpg

The long gray pneumatic hose goes to the pump.

tn_dscn2810.jpg

The turntable is placed on top, and the hoses connects to the cylinder.

tn_dscn2811.jpg

tn_dscn2812.jpg

Steering rack placed at step 11. The turntable is locked by 2 long pins. I've never seen such steering before.

tn_dscn2813.jpg

tn_dscn2814.jpg

This axle with 2 8T gears is placed between the crown wheel and the turntable. The instructions forget to mention that the steering and the turntable is to be aligned.

tn_dscn2815.jpg

tn_dscn2816.jpg

tn_dscn2817.jpg

tn_dscn2818.jpg

The crane boom is comprised of Technic bricks. Some clips are provided to hold the rigid pneumatic hoses.

tn_dscn2819.jpg

tn_dscn2820.jpg

Left side is exactly the same.

The rear end of the truck has its own separate building instruction, first the steering setup.

tn_dscn2821.jpg

tn_dscn2822.jpg

tn_dscn2823.jpg

tn_dscn2824.jpg

The rear hitch.

tn_dscn2825.jpg

tn_dscn2826.jpg

The rear end has some stickered that says "P43S" on it.

tn_dscn2827.jpg

tn_dscn2828.jpg

Mounted on rear axle.

tn_dscn2829.jpg

tn_dscn2830.jpg

A pneumatic pump is placed, and locked with a 8 axle.

tn_dscn2831.jpg

The rear is attached to the turntable.

tn_dscn2832.jpg

Left side pneumatic switch added.

tn_dscn2840.jpg

Rear complete.

tn_dscn2847.jpg

Hoses extended to the end of the boom.

tn_dscn2848.jpg

tn_dscn2849.jpg

tn_dscn2850.jpg

Those perpendicular axle and pin connectors and 4 axles secures the rear end to the turntable.

tn_dscn2851.jpg

tn_dscn2852.jpg

The drivers cabin is starting to form.

tn_dscn2853.jpg

tn_dscn2854.jpg

tn_dscn2855.jpg

tn_dscn2856.jpg

tn_dscn2857.jpg

tn_dscn2858.jpg

Crane arm finished. Now all that's missing is the claw.

tn_dscn2859.jpg

tn_dscn2860.jpg

Claw added to main boom.

tn_dscn2861.jpg

tn_dscn2862.jpg

tn_dscn2863.jpg

tn_dscn2864.jpg

tn_dscn2865.jpg

Lastly adding some 16T gears to assure the claw closes symmetrically.

tn_dscn2866.jpg

Finished!

tn_dscn2867.jpg

tn_dscn2868.jpg

tn_dscn2869.jpg

tn_dscn2870.jpg

tn_dscn2871.jpg

tn_dscn2872.jpg

tn_dscn2873.jpg

tn_dscn2874.jpg

Comparison with the other pneumatic claw rigs; 8436 and 8868.

tn_dscn2875.jpg

tn_dscn2876.jpg

tn_dscn2877.jpg

tn_dscn2878.jpg

Thanks for reading/watching pics. Remember to vote on the poll. Some LEGO designers may read this.

Big pics @ BrickShelf

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Nice, somehow I've never seen this set before. I think it came out right at the start of my dark ages.

I don't quite understand the steering and suspension works. So turning the hand-of-god both rotates the large turntable, and drives the pinion on the center axle? This seems rather odd to me; shouldn't the middle axle stay fixed and the front and back ones steer?

Does the settering rack have to bend in order for it to steer? That seems an odd design to put in an official model. From memory that piece is made from a different plastic which is fairly flexible, but I'd have thought it'd still wear out after a bit when used like this.

And lastly, what's going on with that back axle? It's as if they've designed it to be steerable, then changed their mind and fixed it in place somehow. What degree of freedom does it have? Is it pendular, so the wheels can lift up and down?

Nice, somehow I've never seen this set before. I think it came out right at the start of my dark ages.

I don't quite understand the steering and suspension works. So turning the hand-of-god both rotates the large turntable, and drives the pinion on the center axle? This seems rather odd to me; shouldn't the middle axle stay fixed and the front and back ones steer?

The HOG axle has 2 8T gears on it. The lower one swiwels the turntable, and back part of the truck. The top one meshes with a crown gear on top of the steering rack for the second axle. The first axle is fixed in position, and just follows the body. Because the distance between the second and third axle is so big, it works like a single back wheel steering. Like a forklift.

Does the settering rack have to bend in order for it to steer? That seems an odd design to put in an official model. From memory that piece is made from a different plastic which is fairly flexible, but I'd have thought it'd still wear out after a bit when used like this.

No, it has very little movement. The rear axle is the one turning the most. The 24T crownwheel causes these two axles to turn in a 3:1 ratio.

And lastly, what's going on with that back axle? It's as if they've designed it to be steerable, then changed their mind and fixed it in place somehow. What degree of freedom does it have? Is it pendular, so the wheels can lift up and down?

I dont why they used the "Steering Arm" on the back axle. Maybe it was the most cost-efficient solution. I've checked the B-model which does not use this part. The axle passed from the back allows it to be pendular on either side. The two "Light Gray Technic Cam"s restricts its movement to about 5 degrees.

This topic was from last August by Lost_In_Noise:

I recently bought this set MISB and I am wondering what your thoughts are on the alternate model? Or as I am fairly sure many others in this forum own this set as well, is the main or alternate model better? I rather like the looks of the alternate, but really bought it for the main model...

Thoughts?

Thanks.