Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

LOTR MOC: Mount Doom

Mount Doom, the one place where the ruling ring can be destroyed. I based this mainly off the movie, but the path is an important detail from the books. The top of the volcano lights up, though you can't see it in these pics because it's an official LEGO light brick and not very bright :hmpf: It's obviously quite a bit smaller than it should be, but it used all my dark bley/grey at this scale :blush: The bridge and mask are very accurate to the movie. In fact this is the most movie accurate Mount Doom MOC I've seen, though if you know of a more accurate one I would love a link pirate_thumbup.gif

Here are some pics:

7769412040_f67fc802e7_o.jpg

7769396334_b4d825ae7f_o.jpg

Hope you enjoyed looking, and comments or criticism welcome :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

The inside of the cavern is really nicely detailed! The lava looks great, especially the bubbly bits. The rock texture on the outside of the mountain is well-executed, though I think the overall shape of the mountain is a bit too cubelike - though I can tell you had a more SNOT approach to it, which naturally resulted in a box shape, I think more sloped sides would benefit this a great deal. The entryway is great, it looks very fluidly built into the rock around it, and I like the lava at the peak! Nice work.

Oh, very nice bubbling lava technique. Me likey.

The inside of the cavern is really nicely detailed! The lava looks great, especially the bubbly bits. The rock texture on the outside of the mountain is well-executed, though I think the overall shape of the mountain is a bit too cubelike - though I can tell you had a more SNOT approach to it, which naturally resulted in a box shape, I think more sloped sides would benefit this a great deal. The entryway is great, it looks very fluidly built into the rock around it, and I like the lava at the peak! Nice work.

Thank you, I'm glad such an experienced LOTR builder approves :sweet: You are right about the mountain though, it does look a little cubish.

very nice MOC :thumbup: .P.S. I always thought it would be funny if Frodo was about to drop the ring and saw Anakin and obi-wan fighting below :grin: .

Love it. :wub: Hope you win something in the LEGO contest.

very nice MOC :thumbup: .P.S. I always thought it would be funny if Frodo was about to drop the ring and saw Anakin and obi-wan fighting below :grin: .

That would be awesome. :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by SheepEater

Mount Doom looks terrific! :sweet: The rocky face and the orange lava oozing out just combines together so well. Great MOC.

Thanks, yeah that would be amusing :laugh: maybe I'll do it :innocent:

Love it. :wub: Hope you win something in the LEGO contest.

That would be awesome. :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you, I'm confident of at least a poster and I'm hoping for the sets :moar:

Awsome lava :laugh: hope,you,win the contest !

Thanks, I do too :classic:

I like the bubbles in the lava.

Steve

Thank you!

I really liked your MOC, that Lava technique is great. Good luck in the contest :classic:

The rockwork and the bubbling lava is fantastic. :classic: Awesome MOC!

Thank you

Nice MOC, you have alot of dk Grey/bley default_huh.gif

Yeah, my collection of greys has gotten much larger since I joined GoH, I still had to make a very small order from BL though :shrug_oh_well:

Mount Doom looks terrific! :sweet: The rocky face and the orange lava oozing out just combines together so well. Great MOC.

The MOC looks really stunning. You could re-enact the action scene with Gollum, too.

What I found a little interesting AND amusing is the use of a shark as a wall piece. I have never seen something like that and I really like it a lot.

The MOC looks really stunning. You could re-enact the action scene with Gollum, too.

What I found a little interesting AND amusing is the use of a shark as a wall piece. I have never seen something like that and I really like it a lot.

Thanks! If I get a Gollum I may just do that :thumbup: Glad you noticed the shark, he was in my dark grey box and I thought well why not use him? He saved some pieces which was nice :classic:

Nice work, I really think it looks like the movie, yet faithful to the book. :thumbup:

That lava is just awesome! It glows. Very, very nicely done. The interior is excellent overall as is the rockwork. Compliments on a job well done. I think some ingenious solution to portraying a falling Gollum with the ring (so that he is connected somewhere but looks like falling), would be a really cool next step. I'd love to see the photos of that if you ever do it.

Outside, perhaps it just my jaded 1980s Castle builder eyes but I'd enjoy seeing a little more old grey mixed in, bley makes the mountain look a tad blue. A mix of more different greys might be nice - and of course breaking the cubish shape more would be a good idea as some said, if you are ever looking to develop the model. But as said, these are just ideas, the MOC is fantastic as it is!

Nice work, I really think it looks like the movie, yet faithful to the book. :thumbup:

Thanks!

That lava is just awesome! It glows. Very, very nicely done. The interior is excellent overall as is the rockwork. Compliments on a job well done. I think some ingenious solution to portraying a falling Gollum with the ring (so that he is connected somewhere but looks like falling), would be a really cool next step. I'd love to see the photos of that if you ever do it.

Outside, perhaps it just my jaded 1980s Castle builder eyes but I'd enjoy seeing a little more old grey mixed in, bley makes the mountain look a tad blue. A mix of more different greys might be nice - and of course breaking the cubish shape more would be a good idea as some said, if you are ever looking to develop the model. But as said, these are just ideas, the MOC is fantastic as it is!

Thank you :classic: Good suggestions, I may do a scene with Gollum if I get him before I need the pieces from this :laugh:

Great moc, I really like the scale.

Thanks, I think it worked pretty well :classic:

Very nice! :thumbup::thumbup: I like everything about it, especially the lava.

Thanks!