Sign in to follow this  
Morgan19

MOC: #8100 "Cyclone Defender" alternate (sort of)

indexed.gif

I really love "sealed deck" alternate building, using only pieces from official sets. Being tight on space, I've discovered that having to work only with certain pieces can be a heck of a lot of fun: it's especially neat to take an existing model and see what I can do to "add" to it.

In that vein, I'd like to show my alternate 8100 - Cyclone Defender model. I was a tad disappointed with LEGO's new EF wave: the mechs look pretty anorexic and not at all battle-worthy, so I thought I'd see what I could do to "beef up" the Cyclone. So with two 8100s in hand, I sat down one afternoon and tinkered for a half hour or so.

Here's the official model:

8100-1-1163228441.jpg

And here's my take, using only the pieces (with one exception*) from two copies of 8100. I know it's not the fanciest or most complex of MOCs, but I'm very proud of how nice it turned out compared to the scrawny original:

alt8100_00.jpg_thumb.jpg

(*The one exception is a custom dark green hood that I'd whipped up for another project.)

m19

Nice

about the only thing I'd change is those trans green cylinders on the hip shields

you can remove the black technic pins holding them on, and just flip them 180 so they stud into the technic connector

that would free up the two black pins for other projects (as opposed to deforming them permanently; technic pins pushed into round 1*1s supposedly breaks them after a while)

I wonder what you can build with just One copy of that set...

Yeah, I agree about the 'limited deck' challenge

sometimes when you have "builder's block", working with just a few parts helps a lot.

Great work. That's a pretty cool MOC you've made *y*

KimT

I like it. I'll also try to break the barrier of saying "cool moc" and reach the point where I explain why I like it X-D

It looks really like my kind of Mech, especially the arms. The missile launchers are a neat addition aswell, and the claws just add this "warrior" final touch.

Now on the "negative" aspect, the backpack, or the missing backback is a little disappointment. The overall look suggests a really heavy machine, and seing an empty back is sort of strange. ;-)

Jipay is quite right. The MOC deserves more serious comments.

I like the wolverine look. Great idea to incorporate two sets of claws.

The pilot is more protected on this MOC and it looks more buff (compact).

I'm a fan of stickers, so I really miss those, and a shoulder mounted gun or missile launcher would have finished the model quite nicely.