Sign in to follow this  
MikeyB

Docks of Cartoth

Along the Southern edge of Lord Arlindus' lands of Circardia lays the Bay of Orthus. Named after his father to commemorate his landing in the Enchanted Island years ago, the Bay's shoreline is largely high cliffs and only navigable by the best sailors. One area is more hospitable than the rest, the cliffs aren't as high and the shoreline is offered some protection. In this area is the fishing village of Cartoth.

Cartoth1-M.jpg

Most families have their own dock that they maintain. The Tritus family is well known for their fish but also as a trader in other goods as well. Horace Tritus runs the dock with his two sons, Grayvin and Jaucco do the majority of the fishing and dockwork. They run a small dock where local villagers come to purchase fresh fish from the docks.

cartoth2-M.jpg

A crane brings the goods from the dock to the top of the cliffs.

cartoth3-M.jpg

Gravin is known a fine sailor and knows how to navigate even the toughest waters in the Bay of Orthus

cartoth8-M.jpg

Horace haggles with a village woman over the price of a fresh fish

cartoth10-M.jpg

Jaucco the youngest of the Tritus sons

cartoth6-M.jpg

More photos can be found at this link

As usual, Comments and Critics are welcomed!

Also I was going to enter this in the Commerce Challenge as well but before I do, I didn't know if we enter something in the smaller challenges if it would be scored as a free build for our guild as well. Can someone clarify that? If i can get guild points and enter the challenge that would be great.

Edited by MikeyB

This is another great moc from you Mikey! The cliffs are great and do look dangerous! Love the board walk out from the cliffs!

Sadly to say but Benoic don´t have any coast so I´m not going to build any fishing village :wink:

Thats a great moc again Mikey! Some really nice stuff like the crane, the cart and the detail of supporting the stairchase! :thumbup:

Don't you mean 'more hospitable' or 'less inhospitable'? :blush:

Wonderful build, though. It really captures the feel of a cliffside fishing village. The mix of wood types lends to the idea that this spot has been re-built repeatedly by the inhabitants, as if this place had been battered by sea storms and the people have just gotten used to it.

I really like the way the stairs and crane look :thumbup:

The rockwork is good too, I hope it counts a free build if entered in a mini-challenge; so you can enter it.

It seems to me like it should but I'm not in charge :laugh:

Don't you mean 'more hospitable' or 'less inhospitable'? :blush:

your correct! edited the post!

@de Gothia, isn't there a lake or river somewhere in Benoic?

@Eccles

I went through a couple crane designs but thought this one worked well. And glad you noticed some of the details, sometimes I wonder if anyone notices the small details, especially if I don't highlight them.

Nice! It reminds me a little of Barqa with the cliffs and all...default_blink.gif I think my favorite parts are the crane and the birds flying.

Nice! It reminds me a little of Barqa with the cliffs and all...default_blink.gif I think my favorite parts are the crane and the birds flying.

thanks those birds have made appearances in a couple builds now. Its been my experience that if there are fish by the seashore, there are seagulls!

Very nice build MikeyB! I love the birds, they really add to the scene. And of course, the nice winding dock down to the base of the cliff, and all the activity up above. The story is well done as well. I like the two boats linked together, but might I suggest a 4x4 plate over the gap between the two boats(in addition to the brown tiles you've used) to make the boat seem more like one single hull?

This immediately conjures up the thought of a cliffside village. Great build!

Very charming build. Perfectly showcases everyday life while still retaining a very personal flourish that I've seen in your builds many times. Great work!

Thanks again for the comments.

@rouge, I did try the plate but the I would have had to raise it higher and it looked awkward. Ideally I would have just made a boat from scratch!

@legonardo You mean I beat you to the a scene you were thinking of building? Ask de Gothia how many similar builds we have built! great minds think alike! Build on Guildsman!

@meph I am pretty happy with the crane. not sure it is 100% accurate but it works!

@Jason thanks for the compliments.