Paul Boratko

Anyone see these 8070 prototype pics?

I just stumbled on this today and I don't recall ever seeing these posted or anyone talking about them...

Bilder-Faszination-Auto-LEGO-Technic-Supercar-Weihnachten-2011-001.JPG

Bilder-Faszination-Auto-LEGO-Technic-Supercar-Weihnachten-2011-004.JPG

Bilder-Faszination-Auto-LEGO-Technic-Supercar-Weihnachten-2011-007.JPG

Bilder-Faszination-Auto-LEGO-Technic-Supercar-Weihnachten-2011-008.JPG

LINK

I apologize if this was posted before, but these were new to me...

Those are nice :thumbup:.

But there's a picture a came across that's also quite interesting

Bilder-Faszination-Auto-LEGO-Technic-Supercar-Weihnachten-2011-005.JPG

(same source as the pictures from paul)

Take a look at the steering, especially how the steering rack is connected to the steering arm :wub:.

Great find.

Take a look at the steering, especially how the steering rack is connected to the steering arm :wub:.

I'm wondering what that piece is, since 6246d.png doesn't fit.

Nice find Paul. :thumbup: I hadn't seen those pics before, but I'm not sure that they are all 8070 prototypes - it looks like there are a few older sets in the mix too. Apart from the obvious 853 Car Chassis, there is also the 8448 Super Street Sensation, the 8145 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano 1:10, and the 8653 Enzo Ferrari 1:10, and perhaps others.

I'm wondering what that piece is, since 6246d.png doesn't fit.

Perhaps at this concept/prototype stage they just cut one of these to fit:

2739b.jpg

I've often wished that there was a piece like that, either with an axle or pin.

Edited by Splat

Those are nice :thumbup:.

But there's a picture a came across that's also quite interesting

Bilder-Faszination-Auto-LEGO-Technic-Supercar-Weihnachten-2011-005.JPG

(same source as the pictures from paul)

Yeah, I seen that too.. Those must have towball socket ends that can be turned either way... They must have came up with that concept piece due to the fact that the 5 x 11(and 5 x 7) open liftarm is not very steering friendly when incorporating all wheel drive into it... The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the control arm suspension pivot point would be back too far, especially when it was steered in the opposite direction... Probably why this concept never happened... I also don't like the shock only being able to be supported by one angled liftarm... But a part like that could certainly be used in other aspects of Technic building... It looks like they were just trying to keep the set up as simple as possible though, which makes sense, but isn't always the best option... That is also a 1 x 11 prototype gear rack which as far as I know, doesn't exist...

Nice find Paul. :thumbup: I hadn't seen those pics before, but I'm not sure that they are all 8070 prototypes - it looks like there are a few older sets in the mix too. Apart from the obvious 853 Car Chassis, there is also the 8448 Super Street Sensation, the 8145 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano 1:10, and the 8653 Enzo Ferrari 1:10, and perhaps others.

Yeah, I know... :wink: I wasn't sure exactly how to title the thread because there were some older models in there along with some 8070 ones that certainly looked different including that red one with the Blue Interior on the far left... You can see behind Markus Kossman that prototype also had scissor doors, but they opened differently than the 8070 does... Maybe he and Uwe Wabra both came up with 2 different concepts..? I don't know...

Edited by Paul Boratko

I love them all, the tan seats really do seem to look best to my eyes with the red in the supercar's.

Those are some really cool pictures you you found. That one car with the blue seats looks interesting. Also looks like there were some alternate stickers produced. Your red Vampire Gt would look right at home cruising with those other red cars. :grin: Shame it stalled out at cuusoo. :angry:

Nice :classic:

I really like 8070, I'm not usually a big car fan, but it's an awesome set.

I agree, but I think I like the B-Model even more.

Your red Vampire Gt would look right at home cruising with those other red cars. :grin: Shame it stalled out at cuusoo. :angry:

I guess they all can't be winners... :classic:

Wow those pictures are great! nice find. I think some of the prototypes look better than the model they choose...

tim

Wow those pictures are great! nice find. I think some of the prototypes look better than the model they choose...

tim

The Model that Kossman is holding has me a little intrigued due to it's bulkier look and alternate seats from the actual 8070 that Wabra is holding... When I was building the hood for my Supercar Deluxe 2, I was using a similar design with the panels to make a sort of "Hood Scoop" but in the end, I didn't like how it looked and removed it...

The text mentions them using a laser 3D prototyping system to create new parts overnight, thats probably where the unusual parts are from.

The text mentions them using a laser 3D prototyping system to create new parts overnight, thats probably where the unusual parts are from.

I was thinking that they probably were using a 3D printer... That technology is really amazing...

Thanks Paul! I wouldn't have seen this without your thread.

A bit off topic, but TLG has been leaking a lot of Technic prototypes the past few years...8275, 8110, now 8070 (am I forgetting any?)

So that makes me wonder, what else will leak?--I have a prototype leak wish list!

- 8265 (I just know a pneumatic version with airtank was on the final list--now I want to see it)

- 8043 with the "correct" sized bucket that we'll never get our hands on :cry_sad:

- 9398 Only because of this thread I now want to see the other versions of the new Rock Crawler. Was there one with power puller tires/wheels? Or a new version of larger, but lighter tires (using the current type of rubber)

I'm done. for now. back on topic.

I remember seeing a prototype 8043 around here, it was the very first proof of concept for the gearbox, bearly recognisable even as an excavator. I may have said this before but I also remember seeing a prototype for 8485 control centre 2 helicopter. I remember it being red and had a base/mechanism similar to the one fould in a technic idea book (the yellow plane model). Would love to see more.

Edited by allanp

Thanks allanp, now I remember that prototype. That was an unusual prototype leak compared to all the others, which are completed models vying for the final release (theoretically, of course).

And now back to the regularly scheduled programming... The 8070 prototypes make me wonder what the color options were for that set :wink:

Edited by Dannnohhh

I think it was red, red or, possibley red, not sure which!

Edited by allanp