ghostmind

My hangup with the prequels sets

This has probably been covered by someone earlier, but I wanted to throw my own 2 cents out there to see what others thought.

Simply put, I cannot deal with the CW minifigs.

I started collecting only SW IV-VI sets, because those are the movies I grew up with, and like many I have a few "hurt feelings" about how the prequels turned out. The "Anakin & Sebulba's Podracers" set turned me around on buying prequel LEGO though, as IMO that set is very well-designed and full of vibrant colors.

Since then I've picked up most of the recent SW I-III sets, but I draw the line with the CW sets. Half the reason I buy licensed LEGO sets is for the minifigs, and I am so off-put by the CW faces and designs (even the clone troopers) that it actually stops me from purchasing them. Instead, I find myself hoping that someday the Venator, the Republic Frigate, and the recent Geonosis sets among many others will get reissued with "regular" minifigs. And when sets like this year's Jedi Interceptor get announced, I am happy to see that it is not yet again a CW set.

Anyone else have this hang-up? I realize the CW series is nearing its end, but it has kind of put a damper on collecting the prequel LEGO for me.

hmm, I don't really have any problem with the CW minifigs. But then I only have a few

What is it exactly that you don't like about them?

This has probably been covered by someone earlier, but I wanted to throw my own 2 cents out there to see what others thought.

I started collecting only SW IV-VI sets, because those are the movies I grew up with, and like many I have a few "hurt feelings" about how the prequels turned out. The "Anakin & Sebulba's Podracers" set turned me around on buying prequel LEGO though, as IMO that set is very well-designed and full of vibrant colors.

Since then I've picked up most of the recent SW I-III sets, but I draw the line with the CW sets. Half the reason I buy licensed LEGO sets is for the minifigs, and I am so off-put by the CW faces and designs (even the clone troopers) that it actually stops me from purchasing them. Instead, I find myself hoping that someday the Venator, the Republic Frigate, and the recent Geonosis sets among many others will get reissued with "regular" minifigs. And when sets like this year's Jedi Interceptor get announced, I am happy to see that it is not yet again a CW set.

Anyone else have this hang-up? I realize the CW series is nearing its end, but it has kind of put a damper on collecting the prequel LEGO for me.

I would like to see the TCW characters with PT faces. I'm not sure though how likely it is that even the main characters from the PT will be covered. No Episode II sets were released for a couple of years; I hope that this will change in 2013. What is really maddening me is that we'll probably never see any exclusive characters from TCW (Rex, Ashoka, Ventress, ARF troopers, Cad Bane, Embo, Hondo, Mandalorians, Wolffe etc.) in the PT style.

I am so off-put by the CW faces and designs (even the clone troopers) that it actually stops me from purchasing them.

Right there with you. I don't like the faces at all. They seem to come out okay with some of the more alien faces, but the humans in the lineup look grotesque. I don't collect much Star Wars anyway because of the high price for what you get, but the predominance of CW faces in the SW theme makes me turn away from SW altogether these days. It's a shame because even though the OT is "my" Star Wars, the PT actually has some really great vehicle designs.

I agree a little bit with your statement on clone wars figs. I'm not a fan with the eyes and with the 3D release of attack of clones and revenge of the sith over the next 2 years I believe Lego will release these figs with normal printing. On the flip side to that I grew up on the prequels I was 6 or 7 when I saw episode 1 and it brought me into star wars. I do understand that the original trilogy is better but I love the prequels. I think a lot of star wars fans give the prequels a hard time because they grew up with the originals. It's like anything people grow up with like as an example as a kid I loved Pokemon and when I went round to see my little cousin the other day he was watching the new tv show. I look at it and thought this doesn't even compare to the old stuff. This got me thinking that really the only reason people hate the prequels Is because of the child hood memories. If we went back in time to 1977 and showed a kid who just watched a new hope episode 1 he would love it. I only reason he doesn't love it today is because he has matured since episode 6 and is now an adult. I'm happy that the first star wars film was episode 1 I think as a result of that I like all star wars films and I even watch the clone wars ( although I don't like the figs). Although I understand the points about jar jar and everything else I can't help but love all six films and if I was give the choice I would watch episode 3 everytime. Most likely because I always find myself glue to the screen screaming turn around the clones are going to betray you. That's followed by nooooooo and a feeling of sadness :cry_sad: . In end all films are great and I love the community that these films and Lego have create around the world. :classic:

Even though I am a child of the OT, I don't mind the PT. I don't think they are equal by any means, but I think I get where Lucas was going with the story, even though he had a hard time conveying it at times. Some of the character and vehicle designs in the prequels are my favorites though.

When I heard about the upcoming "Palpatine's Arrest" set I was excited by the prospect of a non-CW Mace Windu and Chancellor Palpatine. But when I look at the "Clone Turbo Tank" at the store, I am thinking "wow, they did a good job on this revision" for the vehicle and then "ugh, more ugly doll-face minifigs", and so I put it back down. I end up feeling like I am missing out, and hoping for a new version sometime in the next 10 year, because I got back into SW LEGO far too late for the original Turbo Tank to be an affordable option. Yes, I could just ignore the minifigs in these sets, and buy them purely for the vehicles, but that doesn't feel right to me (plus I would have a lot of unmanned vehicles LOL).

Edited by ghostmind

I think people don't consider the thought that the reason Lego designed the figs that way is because they are based off the show designs. Can't blame Lego for that.

-Omi

I think people don't consider the thought that the reason Lego designed the figs that way is because they are based off the show designs. Can't blame Lego for that.

-Omi

I totally get that, and I don't blame Lego for it. It's just ugly and makes we not want to buy the sets.

I'll put it out there and hang myself. The Clone Wars line is designed to look like the characters in the show. This is what the current fans of LEGO and Star Wars are growing up on. I grew up on Episodes IV thru VI and I absolutely love those episodes. I watched The Empire Strikes Back more times than I can count and it is my favorite episode. My children of 7 & 9 grew up watching the films in order. Neither one really care for the OT. If asked to pick one Star Wars movie to watch, they'll pick Episode III every time. Now let me hang myself. Despite growing up on the OT, I really like the PT. The stories and acting aren't the best but I like the overall stories. My family, myself included are fans of The Clone Wars series. The way I see it, TCW is keeping SW alive for me. I don't think we'll ever see new Star Wars films on the big screen and watching TCW at least gives me more stories. I read a ton of the books in my early 20s but it's been so long I've forgotten them all.

Back on topic.

If TCW never came out and LEGO never made all those Clone Wars SW sets that everyone here seems to hate, I really doubt the LEGO Star Wars theme would still be around today. And if it were still around, I couldn't see any more than 3-5 sets a year. TCW saved LEGO Star Wars. Myself and my kids would never have gotten into LEGO & Star Wars without it. I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fans of the heads on TCW minifigs but I still like them. I don't mind the way the head looks on the Clones but on the other hand, I think the Mandalorian heads are hideous. You know what though, since my kids and I have gotten into LEGO, we have spent more money than I'd care to admit on the SW theme. And when TCW cartoon finally ends, I bet the number of sets released each year will go down considerably.

Honestly? I think the issue gets a little overblown. Yeah the CW based sets have minifigs that are a little more cartoony. Mainly with the eyes and some of the bolder lined markings on the faces. And some of the human characters seem a little off because of that. But honestly it is a lot less jarring or problematic as it was when Lego switched from Yellow heads and flesh to skin tones. The oddity of the CW figs in truth really only effects a small number of figs. Mostly Anakin and Obi Wan. (and one example each of Mace Windu and Chancelor Palpatine. The CW Dooku fig actually is an improvement over the old).

Of those characters the stylings are a little more cartoony. This is most obvious with Obi Wan with his brighter more red hair and beard. But they do reflect the stylings and look of the show they were made from. (and just because the show has a slightly diferent art direction then the movies is no reason to dismiss it. The show actually is a far better series of Star Wars stories than the prequel movies and most of the published books. There is some good stuff in there once you get past the mildly childish intro movie. The CW art stylings are in part an homage to some other earlier SciFi, in particular Gerry Anderson's classic Supermarionation famed for things like Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlett.)

Yeah the Clone faces are kinda ugly... but who ever looks at them? For the better part of a decade Stormtroopers had blank black heads or worse yellow heads with a black circle where their eyes/faces should be. The CW clone armor and helmets are probably the best stuff that Lego has ever put out. Just fantastic detailing and printing on the helmets. denying yourself those because you don't like the look of a head that you never see? Ummm? The same with the sets themselves. some of the CW ships are truly fantastic. The Republic Frigate is one of the best sets Lego has made in the entire SW line. The same with the General Grievous Starfighter. (which doesn't actually come with any humans so no creepy human heads). And heck the CW non humans are just fantastic. Cad Bane! Embo! Aura Sing! Ventriss! Savage Opress! Ayala secura! The Togruta! The assorted pirates, bounty hunters, Jedi and other weirdo's that populate the world.

I'm just saying don't deny yourself some of the best kits ever made of the subjects and hobby that you love because you think the new faces are a little weird, or are different from the old ones. The changes are exactly the same sort that we have been through in the past. (OMG the Minifigs! Their ARMS MOVE NOW!!!!) Just kick back and enjoy some really exceptional Lego Star Wars kits.

P.S. Oh and regarding that "Clone Wars nearing it's end" I got some bad news. At a minimum there is another full season coming. CN bought 100 episodes of CW. However word is both Lucas and CN want to up that to a full 7 seasons. They just finished the 4th. To further put this in perspective. We have roughly 7 hours of the original trilogy. Roughly the same for the prequels. Of those 14 hours, we typically see the ships that we know love and drool over for a grand total of 15 seconds. I'm not kidding over this. The B Wing fighter that Lego has made at least twice. 15 Seconds of screen time. Contrast this with the Clone wars series. There has currently been 36 hours of CW episodes aired. They use digital effects so all of our beloved ships are digital models. Once created it costs next to nothing to show them to us. So we get some nice looks at all of them. And they have lots of incentive to go back and re-examine stuff we have dreamed of or read about for years. So the show will be a major source of kits for awhile to come yet.

I don't have any problem with the PT minifigs or sets. In fact, since I was young when they came out, I think I like them even better. I like the OT sets and figs, but there just something nostalgic about the PT minifigs. The Clone Wars figs aren't exactly perfect, and I would have loved to see the minifigures looks like they do in Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, but I guess it's too late now. I just wish Lego had released some of the more wanted minifigures, i.e. Ki-Adi-Mundi, Saesee Tiin, but I guess beggars can't be choosers, eh?

I'm in a similar boat when it comes to the CW sets. I've always collected the PT sets so that was never an issue for me, but I did draw the line at CW. And it is because of the figures. There's some CW sets out there that did look very well done. But yeah I just can't get over the figures. There's a few CW sets too that I have bought because they don't have any ridiculous looking figures, like Grievous' starfighter. The Grievous in that set is much better than the PT one released in 2005. And it comes with another mon calamari head and those were done nicely. But overall the CW figs are horrible. I mean just look at Barriss Offee. The PT fig of her in the swamp speeder set is absolutely gorgeous. The CW Barriss, well she has a mustache...

I would like to see the TCW characters with PT faces. I'm not sure though how likely it is that even the main characters from the PT will be covered. No Episode II sets were released for a couple of years; I hope that this will change in 2013. What is really maddening me is that we'll probably never see any exclusive characters from TCW (Rex, Ashoka, Ventress, ARF troopers, Cad Bane, Embo, Hondo, Mandalorians, Wolffe etc.) in the PT style.

Of those characters you mentioned, correct me if I'm wrong, but they never appeared in the movies. So, why would TLG make them in PT style?

-Omi

Exactly. They look like their tv show counterparts. So until that changes, you're out of luck. It's like I mentioned in the fleshy discussion. The reason why theres so little in the way of other fleshtones in the Licensed themes is the lack of other neccessary characters in other flesh tones.

Of those characters you mentioned, correct me if I'm wrong, but they never appeared in the movies. So, why would TLG make them in PT style?

None! But: Since I would like to get them in a non-TCW style nevertheless, that's precisely what I'm complaining about :classic:

But maybe some of them will get a non-TCW style via Underworld.

Edited by Brickadeer

I mean just look at Barriss Offee. The PT fig of her in the swamp speeder set is absolutely gorgeous. The CW Barriss, well she has a mustache...

I completely agree here. I love my PT Barriss, what a perfect figure. I find it funny that the LSW III video game, which is based on the CW line / tv series does not continue the style set by it. The characters look more like a good crossover 20% CW / 80% PT. Seems like they realised how bad it would look..

@Ghostmind = Purchase the sets you like, BL your CW figs away and get a PT crew on these ships. That's how I do it. Those ships shouldn't be missed, they are great!

I completely agree here. I love my PT Barriss, what a perfect figure. I find it funny that the LSW III video game, which is based on the CW line / tv series does not continue the style set by it. The characters look more like a good crossover 20% CW / 80% PT. Seems like they realised how bad it would look..

Which Barriss? The original is a ROTS style one, the other is a TCW style one and looks it.

what a pointless discusion. It would be better for you guys to concentrate on building big quality sw mocs instead of bitch about couple of printed lines on minifig head.

what a pointless discusion. It would be better for you guys to concentrate on building big quality sw mocs instead of bitch about couple of printed lines on minifig head.

Obviously it is not pointless, as quite a few people have something to say on the matter, both in this thread and in previous.

And I do not recall when you were made arbiter of what should or should not be discussed in this forum.

The discussion might have derailed but i still agree with OP. Since last year I buy almost all (even older) OT sets and also go for some of the PT sets (memorable scenes of the movies) but go ways round anything CW (animated series). IMO, comics turn the fantastic into the ridiculous or maybe that's simply out of my age range. Thus i tend to moan a bit about TLG releasing a 'Malvolence' which is only of interest to the fans of CW while they also could have had a shot at the 'Invisible Hand' for example, which adresses a broader audience, IMO.

Still, for as long as TLG keeps up a good mixture in the release waves, they have a good chance to attract all of us. I felt pretty satisfied with the spring 2012 wave and will also go for the OT sets in the summer (Jabba when the price gets right). Planet sets and maybe the Sith Fury Interceptor are optionals to me. Furthermore i feel hungry for next year, too. Mos Eisley, Cloud City, Star Destroyer and a Stormie/Scout Rebel BP might already be under construction in TLG's secret forge... :wink: This leaves enough room for more CW stuff and would not hurt anyone...

Come now, trolling reflects poorly upon us passionate fans(And I speak from experience, comrades!). :wink:

Obviously it is not pointless, as quite a few people have something to say on the matter, both in this thread and in previous.

And I do not recall when you were made arbiter of what should or should not be discussed in this forum.

It's called friendly suggestion :wink:

And for example here are quiet good arguments why this is pointless

a) you can`t change anything

b)Lucas&Lego don`t care about couple of guys bitchin on forum about minifigs since huge majority of ppl (and there customers) are buying sets like crazy and just don`t care about 3 more lines on minifig head and 2 more dots in eyes

:wink: