Sign in to follow this  
Ryushi

Architecture Contest: S.R. Crown Hall

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Architecture starts when you carefully put two bricks together. There it begins.

- Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

S.R. Crown hall is famous for not only being one of Mie's famous works, but the building that teaches students the Mies van der Rohe's philosophies and architecture at Illinois Institute of Technology.

Architecture series S. R. Crown Hall

Facts about S. R. Crown Hall

Location..........Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois, USA

Architect.........Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Building type.....Educational Classroom

Materials.........Steel and Glass

Style.............Modern

Date..............1950 to 1956

Floor area........26,400 square feet (2452.6 m2)

front2.jpg

3d.jpg

iso.jpg

top.jpg

Please search google images to understand more the scale of this building. The building is placed in a area where it is impossible to get a shot of the corners of the building, though the most iconic shot is that of the front stairs (the one that is in the background with the lego model in front.) For more information about the building please visit the wikipedia page or this site for pictures of the building.

crownhall.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Looks quite good. I'd suggest making the first three lower levels green to better resemble the building. What you have there otherwise is a nice build and instantly recognizable. Great job and good luck in the contest.

Looks quite good. I'd suggest making the first three lower levels green to better resemble the building. What you have there otherwise is a nice build and instantly recognizable. Great job and good luck in the contest.

It is actually one big floor, the top floor is 18 feet tall. The windows are frosted glass, it is green due to the lighting in the last image. This picture is the imagine of the building in full, showing the frosted windows. Thank you for the luck in the contest.

Edited by bricktect

I am unsure if it is ok for the contest, but I would like to edit my post entry to have a different image of the real building (not the lego work) to this picture. If that is ok, please tell me so, as it better portrays the building than the first.

Edited by bricktect

Maybe ask that question on the main thread for this contest? I dunno, but i think an admin is more likely to notice your question there.

Great build and very nice to see this architect represented - I'm surprised there hasn't been an official set yet.

Edited by caperberry

Maybe ask that question on the main thread for this contest? I dunno, but i think an admin is more likely to notice your question there.

Great build and very nice to see this architect represented - I'm surprised there hasn't been an official set yet.

Thank you for the advice and compliment. Are you a fan of Mies?

Isn't everyone? default_laugh_new.gif

I hope many people are. I think most people are, but the students at IIT have a love-hate relationship with Mies and his buildings.

Did you see the google doodle that was done on his birthday?

Oh, what an absolute beauty! You captured the building so well in bricks, and it looks so much like the Lego architecture style. Great job, and good luck with the contest!

Oh, what an absolute beauty! You captured the building so well in bricks, and it looks so much like the Lego architecture style. Great job, and good luck with the contest!

Thank you, this is my first contest I've entered for MOCs, I hope to do well.