Sign in to follow this  
Dammtuss

Architecture Contest: The Ericsson Globe

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

As soon as I saw this competition I knew what building to choose: The Ericsson Globe, as I’m from Sweden and it’s probably our most famous building. And to clarify, the category entered is the landmark series.

globen006small.jpg

The Ericsson Globe (originally known as the Stockholm Globe Arena, or in Swedish nicknamed Globen, ’The Globe’) is the national indoor arena of Sweden, located in the Johanneshov district of Stockholm (Stockholm Globe City). The Ericsson Globe is currently the largest hemispherical building in the world and took two and a half years to build. Shaped like a large white ball, it has a diameter of 110 metres (361 feet) and an inner height of 85 metres (279 feet). The volume of the building is 605,000 cubic metres (21,188,800 cubic feet). It has seating capacity of 16,000 spectators for shows and concerts, and 13,850 for ice hockey.

I also chose to include the surrounding building Annexet in my build, as it’s an essential part of the Globe complex. In total, I’ve used some 500+ bricks. The base is 20 x 22 studs. With no further ado, please let me present my entry: The Ericsson Globe.

The real deal:

globen_se.jpg

My attempt:

globen022small.jpg

globen014small.jpg

globen009small.jpg

All in all, this was a fun build which did i ndeed present some difficulties. If I were to do it again, I probably would have chosen to make an attempt on using SNOT on the globe. And as always, comments and criticism is much welcome as it helps me improve as a builder. :classic:

Regards,

Wombat

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

The shape is recognizable indeed. But the closer look have revealed some insignificant differences. I believe that you have made the main sphere very well. And levers which placed at the sides of the building are represent the details well too. :classic: