Sign in to follow this  
CamelBoy68

Architecture Contest: VAB (Vertical Assembly Building)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Here's my entry for the comp - The Vertical Assembly Building (VAB) @ NASA Kennedy Space Centre.

(Landmark Series)

Pic 1

7053228583_b584712bb4_z_d.jpg

Pic 2

7053230355_fdbd00b6e9_z_d.jpg

Pic 3

6907142142_9387f4dbd0_z_d.jpg

Pic 4

7053233103_48f5c6529f_z_d.jpg

Built for the Apollo program, it was completed in 1966. The VAB is 526 feet (160.3 m) tall, 716 feet (218.2 m) long and 518 feet (157.9 m) wide. It covers 8 acres (3 ha), and encloses 129,428,000 cubic feet (3,665,000 m3) of space. *oh2*

pap0098a.jpg

image USGS

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I've been waiting a long time for someone (other than the Legoland parks) to build a VAB . Really cool. :thumbup:

Edited by Spencer_R

Very well done, CamelBoy68!

This must be the first complete SNOT building. :thumbup:

It's a tough competition though.

I've been waiting a long time for someone (other than the Legoland parks) to build a VAB . Really cool. :thumbup:

I remember seeing a very large VAB at Billund, very impressive... :oh:

Interesting choice! Love the flag especially.

The flag was the easist bit, it was the Nasa Meatball which was the problem, being circular :cry3:

Very well done, CamelBoy68!

This must be the first complete SNOT building. :thumbup:

It's a tough competition though.

Thanks, I wasn't intentionally going SNOT, its just the building is perfect for it... :classic:

I know, some great work there :sweet: It sounds daft, but I have my fav's I want to see win...... :look:

I've passed this thing a dozen times throughout repeated childhood field trips to Kennedy - this is a really fantastic replica. :thumbup: I love the American flag you've taken into consideration, it really brightens up the piece.

I've passed this thing a dozen times throughout repeated childhood field trips to Kennedy - this is a really fantastic replica. :thumbup: I love the American flag you've taken into consideration, it really brightens up the piece.

Thanks Pie :classic:

I went to the KSC in May 2008 and as there isn't any other structure near it, you don't get the sense of how big it is... *oh2*

Apparently, each stripe in the flag is wide enough for a bus... *huh*

That's great. At first glance it almost looks like a trivial entry that doesn't really have much to it. At second, third and fourth glance.... it's actually fantastic. Lots of subtle detail, and a really spot-on recreation. The rocket in particular is perfect and gives the whole thing a great sense of scale.

That's great. At first glance it almost looks like a trivial entry that doesn't really have much to it. At second, third and fourth glance.... it's actually fantastic. Lots of subtle detail, and a really spot-on recreation. The rocket in particular is perfect and gives the whole thing a great sense of scale.

Thanks for the kind words Ash... :blush:

the rocket was a last minute addition - cos its not really the building.... :sceptic:

My wife and I love the little rocket. Also the flag is fantastic!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it... :classic:

When I first came up with the idea, it was the flag & meatball that were the first things I had a go at - as they are only decorative, they are very much part of the building. When I was Googling reference images, especially the back, it was funny to see the VAB with just the flag on it or the other logo they used to have, it didn't seem quite right... :hmpf_bad:

OMG that is so awesome.

This and the Boeing Plant are some of the coolest "factories" ever built... though this has way cooler factor. it 'assembles' SPACESHIPS.

And you've done a brilliant job of creating this. The attention to detail in such a small space is super impressive!

Hehe "meatball" I always found that name hilarious.

No STS ? it would be funny (if you can make it to scale) next to the Apollo rocket!

You should put this up on cuusoo - I would totally buy it!

OMG that is so awesome.

This and the Boeing Plant are some of the coolest "factories" ever built... though this has way cooler factor. it 'assembles' SPACESHIPS.

And you've done a brilliant job of creating this. The attention to detail in such a small space is super impressive!

Hehe "meatball" I always found that name hilarious.

No STS ? it would be funny (if you can make it to scale) next to the Apollo rocket!

You should put this up on cuusoo - I would totally buy it!

Hi Si-MOC, I did look at a small scale shuttle, except I couldn't get the fuel tanks/booster rockets into a 2 brick wide format (to fit through the door) :angry: . The shuttle on its own - no problem...Its, like 2.5 bricks wide was the smallest I could get to still resemble the shuttle stack.

Thanks for the kind words. :classic:

I think it's very close to the real building. you gave some clean & clever solutions. Good luck with the contest!

I think it's very close to the real building. you gave some clean & clever solutions. Good luck with the contest!

Thanks, you too. :tongue: