Spencer_R

Architecture Contest: Burj Al Arab

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

We decided that if you could draw a building simply with a few strokes of a pen, and it was instantly

recognizable as not only the building, but the place... then you've created something that was an icon

- Tom Wright, architect Burj Al Arab, on the philosophy behind its design.

Inspired by the words of Mr. Wright, I decided that if I could build a building with a few simple LEGO elements, and it 

was instantly recognizable as the building and the place, then I've created something that might be worth entering in a contest.   :wink: 

My Landmark Series entry for the Architecture Contest is the world famous Burj Al Arab luxury hotel in Dubai.

Approximate Model Dimensions:

122mm x 122mm x 177mm

16 x 16 x 22 studs

7051637003_fda4f897e5.jpg

by Spencer_R, on Flickr

7051634795_08061e9b6c.jpg

6905541810_87aa31e6ac.jpg

7051630471_d260313253.jpg

Some facts and a picture of the real building. If you are not familiar with the building, please do an image search. One picture does not do

the colors, shapes, and setting of this magnificent structure justice.

6905536862_fd841b4007_b.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Wow, now this is something I would pay money for! Fantastic job! You've got every detail, from the ridges on the curved side, to the helipad on top! :thumbup:

Stunning. This challenge really brings out some fantastic entries!

This tops the list, in my opinion. The way you took a highly complex building and scaled it down to that size while retaining all the design details that make it unique is nothing short of amazing! I'm glad I don't have an entry in here because there is no way I would top that. :classic:

After having seen all entries I think I find this one the best of them all. It's an iconic building, captured very well in a small scale. That last fact makes it fit perfectly within the spirit of Architecture sets. I could see this as an actual set! Lovely parts usage, it even has Technic :D Great job!

This really is stunning. Also, do you mine sharing the instructions.

It is just to great. I would love it for my desk. :classic:

Edited by The Blue Brick