Sign in to follow this  
touthomme

Architecture Contest: Parliament Buildings of Canada

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Here is my entry for the Architecture Contest, the Parliament Buildings of Canada, entered as a Landmark Series entry.

The prominent tower is called the Peace Tower, and is a very recognizable and well known symbol in Canada. The Parliament Buildings actually encompass many buildings, so to be precise, this model represents the most famous of them - the front section of the Center Block. I chose this model as I live in Ottawa and this building is about 15 minutes from my house.

More information about these buildings can be found here.

Building Info

Location ..... Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Style ........ Modern Gothic Revival

Completed .... 1922 (Peace Tower completed in 1927)

Designer ..... John Pearson and Jean Omer Marchand

Height ....... 92.2 meters

3446760792_a565275ece.jpg

Model Info

Pieces ............ 192

Size .............. 22 x 9 x 15 studs

Instructions ...... truedimensions.com/lego

The roof of the building is made of copper and as you can see in the real photo, the Peace Tower roof has not been restored yet and is still the pale green of oxidized copper. I decided to make the roof of the model entirely black, to represent what it will look like when the entire roof restoration is complete.

I wanted to build this model at a very small scale but still keep as many details as possible. It was quite challenging and I went through several versions of the Peace Tower before coming up with this one.

7048217801_c9b1eb7539_c.jpg

7048217611_433770ee8a_c.jpg

Flickr

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy the model!

J

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Enjoying your model? Absolutely!! The construction of the maintower is gorgeous :thumbup:

Good luck in the competion :sweet:

Really impressive! :thumbup: Would be possible if the the spire was green like in real?

Edited by Sess

Really impressive! :thumbup: Would be possible if the the spire was green like in real?

Sand green would be the best colour to match the real tower roof. Unfortunately the part I used doesn't exist in sand green. It exists in regular green, but that doesn't look very nice. I could have used a sand green 2x2 cone, which actually doesn't look too bad, but I preferred the look black square slope.

Thanks so much to everyone else for the comments! Much appreciated!

J

Instantly recognizable! I love the use of the technic pins and clips on the tower itself, though the 1x1 round tiles seem out of place to me for some reason.

I like your model very much! You have replicated the details of the building successfuly! :thumbup: To my mind the flag is very relative and it's not of necessarily.

One more good entry for the contest!

Instantly recognizable! I love the use of the technic pins and clips on the tower itself, though the 1x1 round tiles seem out of place to me for some reason.

I agree with everything, except the round tile thing. Thanks to Lego, we now have a micro scale clock tower clock piece! Now only if it were printed :tongue:

Voting for this contest is going to be so hard!