edsmith0075

Custom 9V Track Durability?

Greetings everyone,

I have enjoyed reading the posts and learning more about this hobby. I have invested in as many kits as I could find on ebay. So far the only one that came is the Maesark GP-38. I built it this weekend and can't wait to get some track to run it on.

Heres my question, I saw the tutoriol on how to apply copper tape to non conducting track for use with the 9V train system. I want to know if anyone has done this here? How long does it hold up? I was thinking of using silver instead of copper cause I hear it will last longer. Any input or advice hear. I would rather invest in trains instead of track and have the time to make my own if everyone has had positive results.

Greetings everyone,

I have enjoyed reading the posts and learning more about this hobby. I have invested in as many kits as I could find on ebay. So far the only one that came is the Maesark GP-38. I built it this weekend and can't wait to get some track to run it on.

Heres my question, I saw the tutoriol on how to apply copper tape to non conducting track for use with the 9V train system. I want to know if anyone has done this here? How long does it hold up? I was thinking of using silver instead of copper cause I hear it will last longer. Any input or advice hear. I would rather invest in trains instead of track and have the time to make my own if everyone has had positive results.

Why don't you introduce yourself first?!!!

Also... try to use your spellings checker. There are more people that aren't native speakers here but... About copper tape. I have used silver tape and it works quite well (for the cross switch).

Apart from that I saw that Sparkfun has copper tape. I only think the silver color is better, but apart from that it shouldn't make a difference I think.

Hello, I have tried the copper tape. I have had a problem (very minor) of it not conducting perfectly without you pressing on it. I have found somewhat of a fix (if this problem happens)

1. find where it is that it is not conducting.

2. cut a small piece of tape and fold it in half.

3. put that in where it is not conducting

I think i didn't put it on right for a couple of pieces. So this should not be a problem for you. I also think it is much better than paying about $80 for a pack of 8 straight track.

Rail Co

Hello, I've experimented with copper tape, aluminum tape and stainless steel tape. The tests were done using an eight wide Alco FA A-B-A configuration with 4 9volt motors. Both curved and straight sections were tested. The copper and aluminum tape had about the same life span (1 1/2 to 2 hours) I put the stainless steel tape on a double crossover and there was no visible wear after five hours. The exact numbers are buried in a box somewhere, I moved and everything is still boxed up. It's been over three years, I gotta start moving faster! Hope this helps.

post-6981-133280028009.jpg

Edited by asleepatheswitch

I use copper tape on all but 2 of my PF tracks. It works well at first (a year ago) but the corrosion is making things difficult. also, the copper tape wants to lift from the track so I have to press it down again. I wouldn't use copper next time, I would use ME Model's track. Copper tracks would be a more suitable temporary situation.

disclaimer: I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean so your mileage may vary.

Thank you for all the kind replies. Any suggestions where I might be able to pick up the silver tape? I checked the local hardware stores but they did not even have the copper stuff... Thanks in advance

Hi edsmith0075,

The stuff is originally sold for stained-glass hobbyists. Check locally if anyone is in the stained-glass hobby (gives classes or if there is a club) and they should be able to tell you where they get it.

Dan-147

Thank you for all the kind replies. Any suggestions where I might be able to pick up the silver tape? I checked the local hardware stores but they did not even have the copper stuff... Thanks in advance

Well it depends on what country you are in but, there is Hobby Lobby,stain glass shop (of some sort), or for that matter most hobby stores.

Rail Co

Thanks fot the info. I was able to find some copper at a local craft store in the bead making deptarment and supplies. I am going to try it with the copper but would really like to use stainless steel as it will last longer. I am looking for suggestion on where to purchase Stainless steel tape. I am located in the United States. I did find a company that make something called "stainless steel shim tape". I though it looks similar to the copper only in steel. Any advice?