88high

My first Supercar-how should I go about this?

Hello! After getting tired of building slow truck trials, I decided to make a change- make my first Supercar. I have been trying to put off this project, but I have finally come to it :) . Now, I have to tell you all that I am planning or want to do:

Supercar

•V8 rear-mounted engine

•Sheepo's MPS frame and suspensions (modified to my liking)

•68.8x36zr wheels with black rims

•red bodywork (will I have enough panels???)

•4-speed gearbox, using red shifter parts (NEED HELP!!!)

•Dual RC buggy motor drive :)

•10L spring-loaded gullwing doors

•opening hood and trunk

•not modeled after a real Supercar

That is what I am aiming for. So far, I have both of my suspensions finished. I will build a frame today. I have a few concerns about my project though...

1.) are my wheels to small? They look small to such wide suspension!

2.) I need help making a compact 4-speed gearbox using the red shifter parts. I only have two of each :(

3.) bodywork...do I have enough panels??? I don't have many flex cables too :(

4.)what angle should you put the 10L spring at to make the doors stay shut?

As you can see, I have a few concerns about my first Supercar. Once I build the frame later today, I will make a short video for y'all on my YouTube (see my signature)

Please help me with some advice or some answers to my questions. Your support is appreciated greatly :)

-88high

It sounds ambitious! When you say "Red Shifter parts", do you mean the 6539 Technic Driving Ring?

6539.gif

In regards to whether the "wheels are too small" or not, we have not seen any pictures yet....

It sounds ambitious! When you say "Red Shifter parts", do you mean the 6539 Technic Driving Ring?

6539.gif

In regards to whether the "wheels are too small" or not, we have not seen any pictures yet....

Yes, that is the peice. I only have two. I will add the video later today.

@ 88high: There are many USA Bricklink vendors who could sell you additional red 6539 Technic Driving Rings. I used to buy Bricklink parts using CASH sent in the US Postal Service mail, until PayPal came along. Look on the Bricklink vendor's "Splash" page or "Store Terms" page to see if they accept cash. I never had any problems sending dollar bills (wrapped in a sheet of paper inside the envelope), and asking for change in the package sent back to me. :classic: I must have done this for ~300 Bricklink orders, over many years. PayPal is faster and easier, but good old-fashioned CASH works too!

6539.gif

Edited by DLuders

Here are my thoughts on this:

1) Tires are fine. If you feel like you want larger tires, the 81.6 x 36 tires fit the same rim. They are expensive, if you can even find them.

2) You can build a transmission using the picture allanp posted, or you may want to check out www.crowkillers.com for more transmission ideas. I think you can buy pre-built 5+R transmission on crowkillers.com or on ebay.

3) Whether or not you have enough panels depends on how many you have. :grin: I have seen some really nice cars that didn't use any panels at all--just lots of flex cables. I have also seen cars that used a lot of panels. It's a matter of personal preference.

4) There are different variables that go into positioning a door spring. Trial and error are probably your best bet to figure out the proper spring angle. However, for your door to stay closed, your door hinge and both ends of the spring should be pretty much in a straight line when the door is closed. Not sure if that makes any sense. I would suggest you build a simple test moc with some beams to figure out the proper geometry before you try to implement this on your moc.

I find that building any Technic moc requires a bit of trial and error. It's not unusual for me to build part of a moc at least 20 times before I'm happy with what I have. That's all part of the fun (most of the time :wacko: )

Bricklink is a good place to buy parts you need.

Keep us updated on your moc! Nice to see another Technic builder in the US.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Here are my thoughts on this:

1) Tires are fine. If you feel like you want larger tires, the 81.6 x 36 tires fit the same rim. They are expensive, if you can even find them.

2) You can build a transmission using the picture allanp posted, or you may want to check out www.crowkillers.com for more transmission ideas. I think you can buy pre-built 5+R transmission on crowkillers.com or on ebay.

3) Whether or not you have enough panels depends on how many you have. :grin: I have seen some really nice cars that didn't use any panels at all--just lots of flex cables. I have also seen cars that used a lot of panels. It's a matter of personal preference.

4) There are different variables that go into positioning a door spring. Trial and error are probably your best bet to figure out the proper spring angle. However, for your door to stay closed, your door hinge and both ends of the spring should be pretty much in a straight line when the door is closed. Not sure if that makes any sense. I would suggest you build a simple test moc with some beams to figure out the proper geometry before you try to implement this on your moc.

I find that building any Technic moc requires a bit of trial and error. It's not unusual for me to build part of a moc at least 20 times before I'm happy with what I have. That's all part of the fun (most of the time :wacko: )

Bricklink is a good place to buy parts you need.

Keep us updated on your moc! Nice to see another Technic builder in the US.

I have two of the larger tires from the nitro menace set. I don't want to mismatch the tire sizes because it would look like a dragster :P

I decided to go with a simple 2-speed with a AWD-2WD changer

I am deciding to do a more paneled look

I am planning to use lots of red beams too

I am right on budget, but I will get some more parts soon

As for the doors, I'll figure something out :)

I also made the frame shorter, so the wheels did not look out of poroprtion

Nice to meet someone else in the US

Thanks for your opinion

You only need two. Try this:

simple_4_speed_gearbox.jpg

Hope this helps. :classic:

Thank you!

@ 88high: There are many USA Bricklink vendors who could sell you additional red 6539 Technic Driving Rings. I used to buy Bricklink parts using CASH sent in the US Postal Service mail, until PayPal came along. Look on the Bricklink vendor's "Splash" page or "Store Terms" page to see if they accept cash. I never had any problems sending dollar bills (wrapped in a sheet of paper inside the envelope), and asking for change in the package sent back to me. :classic: I must have done this for ~300 Bricklink orders, over many years. PayPal is faster and easier, but good old-fashioned CASH works too!

6539.gif

I will buy some soon