Sign in to follow this  
-GZ-

Architecture contest: Moscow Kremlin Spasskaya Tower

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

It's an obvious decision for a LEGO Fan from Russia to build the most famous tower of the Moscow Kremlin for the contest!

first.jpg

The Spasskaya Tower (Literally something like The Saviout Tower) is the main Moscow Kremlin Tower, and it's famous certainly for its clock, the kuranty... There is no clock on my Architecture Landmark-scale tower (classical LEGO clock tiles used for the official Big Ben wouldn't wit). However, it has four black circles as the dials, and many other details. Some things are quite simplistic, only because of the scale. Just look at Adam Reed Tucker's official models... :tongue:

1a.jpg

2.jpg

Construction:

inside.jpg

The black circle piece holds these white horns perfectly... Something like SNOT without studs (:laugh:)...

And with the real one:

origin.jpg

More DIFFERENT views and pictures on my BRICKSHELF: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=499898

Yet just a beginning...

(I'm just afraid that anybody else would choose the same building... I'll post the final entry as soon as possble!)

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Now the tower is 100% complete (and its quite large for Landmark series...) But I have some problems with my camera, so i'll complete my entry tomorrow.

Edited by -GZ-

Sorry for the doublepost. I want anybody to see the full MOC)

Very nice and recognizable shape you made! Especially I like the way you have used white canine teeth. I want to suggest to remove lowest dark green slopes 1X1 because they are making illusion of curved ends of the roof.

Thanks! I thought about removing the slopes. But without the slopes, the roof looks quite small and I haven't proper green pieces (jumpers). The real tower has quite curved roof.

Very nicely done! It shows great resemblance to the original building, and the intricacy of the design of the roof is impressive. :thumbup:

One change I might suggest, though - find a way to avoid those illegal connections you're using. There isn't anything in the rules against them, but it does say "in the style of" the current architecture sets, and those never use illegal connections like sticking a plate vertically between two studs.

Still, just a suggestion as to how you could make a great entry even better! :classic:

Thanks!

Architecture series sets are often built with SNOT. Maybe not so illegal, but quite interesting) I think rules still allow SNOT and other things like it here!

The entry wouldn't be better without such things, because it would be much more simplistic and different from the original Tower...

My tower in fact isn't fragile. And it's made in style of official sets, thought it's quite big for Landmark Series!

Edited by -GZ-

I like your model with or without this 'illegal technique'! In my eyes you captured the original building pretty well! :thumbup:

If you choose the 'Architect Series' category, do not forget to add the architect's name. Good luck!! :sweet:

Reminds me of christmas(in a good way). Basically I'm talking about the colour scheme. It is sort of christmas colours.

This looks good so far, I really like the technique you used for the tower. Who knows, maybe TLG would use this method. The Empire State Building was consisted mostly of jumper plate off-sets, and there were sets from the 60s/70s that used the connection of wedging a plate sideways between two rows of studs (so is it really "illegal"?).

Anyways, if I might make a suggestion, if you're able I would try to switch out the bright green with sand green and the bright red with sand red. IMO the colors are a little garish and not accurate to the building as they are now. :classic:

Thanks!

Official LEGO Architecture sets have some problems with colours... But the Red squre is known as the Red to the whole world...) The towers in fact aren't sand red too, and I haven't much sand red parts... Maybe some parts I need do not exist in sand red.

But the roof is 100% not sand green, maybe dark\bright green, not sand... Unfortunately I haven't bright\dark green cone.

It's not Architect category, it's about Landmark Series. Maybe quite big for it, yet a world famous building.

Edited by -GZ-