viracocha

Architecture Contest: Lyalya Tulpan mosque

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Lyalya Tulpan mosque ("Tulip in Bloom")

Architect Series

Facts

Architect ............................................. Wakil Davlyatshin

Construction Type ................................ Mosque

Height ................................................. 53 m (174 ft.)

Location .............................................. Ufa, Republic of Bashkortostan, Russia (Google maps)

Materials ............................................. Steel, glass, plastic, concrete, stone

Style ................................................... Hi-tech

Year .................................................... 1989 - 1998

Story

The Lyalya Tulpan means «Tulip in Bloom». The tulip is a favorite symbol of the Muslim world so it became a basis of architecture of this mosque. The mosque building is an opened flower, the two minarets which height is 53 meters (174 ft.) are resemble the closed buds on long stalks. The complex of these buildings symbolizes the beginning, origin, spring, nature and eternal belief.

It is unique cult construction and has no analogues in the world. The architect of the project is Wakil Davlyatshin. It was built from steel, plastic, glass and stone and is a good example of hi-tech style.

Mosque’s work is directed on relations strengthening of two religious faiths (Orthodoxy and Moslem). Lyalya Tulpan is a mosque-madrasah and carries out some extra functions at the same time - it is an educational center, Muslim temple and place of meetings of Muslim religious figures. The building can seat up to 1000 worshippers. Now the mosque is one of the main sights of the Ufa city.

Architect

Wakil Davlyatshin was born on March 10, 1949 in the USSR. He graduated as an architect from the Moscow Architect Institute. In 1988 he was offered to design the mosque for 1100 anniversary of Islamizing of Russia and Bashkiria.

The work of gathering and the analysis of various sources on cult architecture including ancient and foreign has begun. The image of the future mosque was helped by impressions of trips to Bulgaria, Hungary, Greece, Germany, and Islamic regions - Turkey, the United Arab Emirates.

In 1998 the construction was finished. The Lyalya Tulpan Mosque became the worthy ornament and the landmark of capital of Republic Bashkortostan. For this work Davlyatshin has been awarded by State award of name of Salavat Yulaev.

Design the model

The most challenging was to replicate the slopes of the building. The scale of the model is 1:480 and it is very tough problem. The Idea was to use tiles with ½ displacement. The nested triangles at the entrance are the most recognizable shapes. For the side awnings was chosen SNOT technique. The minarets have both sophisticated solid stone and floral like design because they symbolize the tulip's stalks. And the teeth are well representing sepals.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Feel free to visit resource with additional photoes.

The photo of the mosque.

61.jpg

You may also look here.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I think this is well designed, great angles in this scale! Although I would think about designing the minarets a little bit different, it is your artistic interpretation of the structure. Also, can it be built with pink/dark pink pieces, I don't know if all the parts are available in that color?

Very nice job on this. The angles are very accurate to the real thing, and I like the use of the white tooth pieces.

One thing that might make your entry better is if you used the same technique for the side awnings as you did for the front ones: by using 2x3 angled pieces. Just to keep everything consistent to have the arches flow better.

Hi guys! Thank you all for the kind comments and constructive advices!

Also, can it be built with pink/dark pink pieces, I don't know if all the parts are available in that color?

Yes, it can be better to use dark pink color for the roof. But I am affraid that TLG does not produce the parts needed in that color.

One thing that might make your entry better is if you used the same technique for the side awnings as you did for the front ones: by using 2x3 angled pieces. Just to keep everything consistent to have the arches flow better.

You will be surprised how many variants for the side awnings I have tried! Anyway I will continue thinking.

That is gorgeous!

Great micro work, to obtain frankly quite a difficult shape!

Good luck in the contest!

I'm not familiar with this building, but you made a nice replica of the mosque in LEGO. The minarets in the original have a different design, but that's hard to replicate with bricks on this scale. Anyway, well done! :thumbup:

SI-mocs, thank you for the comment :classic:

I'm not familiar with this building, but you made a nice replica of the mosque in LEGO. The minarets in the original have a different design, but that's hard to replicate with bricks on this scale. Anyway, well done! :thumbup:

I am agree that building is not well-known in the world yet, but it's interesting design is worth to be built in LEGO! :classic:

The tough scale of the model (1:480) became very complicated task. The minarets have both sophisticated solid stone and floral like design because they symbolize the tulip's stalks. I think that 1X1 bricks fit well in that scale.

Thank you for the comments!

I have updated the first post. To more correspond with the official LEGO Architect Series I have added "Architect" and "Design the model" sections.

Also by the request of some members I have unveiled some tips and hints in my brickshelf.

It's a really unique building and your model is really impressive. One thing I don't like thought, is the fact that you made the top of the roof flat. Of course it's a narrow angle and in this scale I'm not sure if there are other options, but maybe you should try something different. Good luck with the competition.

ojojo, Leo-J thank you for the replies!

One thing I don't like thought, is the fact that you made the top of the roof flat. Of course it's a narrow angle and in this scale I'm not sure if there are other options, but maybe you should try something different.

As far as I understood the most confusing is the tile on the top of roof. Without latter the gap is very large and the effect of solid roof is lost.

I like your building.

White & red looks good.

I did not know about this structure...

I have given you 1 point!

icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

Oops! I accidentally made a double-post! Sorry!

Edited by Pikachu