Artizan

Architecture Contest: Hagia Sophia

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

From Wikipedia;

"Hagia Sophia (from the Greek: "Holy Wisdom", Turkish: Ayasofya) is a former

Orthodox cathedral, later a mosque, and now a museum in Istanbul, Turkey. Famous for its

massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine architecture, and it was the largest

cathedral in the world for nearly a thousand years."

6850131868_8984785978_z.jpg

6995326047_ae03846392_z.jpg

6851634740_fda9af0d3a_z.jpg

The building in real life:

thumb640x360.jpg

Hello, I have completed my design of the Hagia Sophia in landscape style for the architecture contest. I am open to any comments and criticism, hope you like it.

Come support my new project on LEGO CUUSOO so it can become an official LEGO product:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/12575

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I'd say definitely the tan since the dark red is just too dark. Although if you can find some pieces in sand red to throw in with the tan while making it look natural, it would probably be more accurate.

Tan.

Also, what about putting the screw drivers in the top of your spires? Although their color may be all wrong for your model. Too bad they don't come in silver.... :hmpf_bad:

I've checked the parts in Bricklink, and I saw those arch pieces are not available in dark red anyway, so it will be tan.

@CorneliusMurdock, I can throw in a few sand red pieces, but since it's in mini scale, it won't look random enough..(and the sand red parts are very pricy!)

@Slick Willie, putting screw drivers is a good idea actually, I'll consider that!

Thanks for feedback everyone!

Edited by Artizan

The LDD rendition looks great, nice work. Yeah, I think the tan would look good. If you wanted to try a color more similar to tan to try to mix the colors, try dark tan.

One suggestion I have is to make the roofs of the sides more round, maybe by using half-domes instead of the slopes that you have now. Otherwise it looks very true to the real thing, and good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Wow, that looks amazingly impressive! Lots of nice details. :thumbup: I would buy it.

Thank you for the kind comments, I will be uploading pictures showing different angles.

My favourite building so far. My only gripe is the main dome is too round, and that's probably the most striking feature in the building. But yes, this one is my favourite.

Thanks all for the kind words again :) Updated the first post.

Edited by Artizan

Wow, the new design is amazing! I was pretty impressed with the original, though like others have said the colors were a little bit off. It's hard to capture the color subtleties of weathering effects with LEGO. With this new version, though, I think you've captured the building beautifully. Most of the official Architecture sets are unremarkable to me, but I'd buy this one in a heartbeat. Two thumbs up!

When I saw the subject I wasn't expecting much. An amazing building that I didn't really think would work well, especially in microscale. But you've done an amazing job. Really, really impressive and right up there with the retail sets in my opinion.

I was away for vacation, I couldn't reply sooner, so anyway, thanks for the comments! Your kind words mean a lot to me :)

When I saw the subject I wasn't expecting much. An amazing building that I didn't really think would work well, especially in microscale. But you've done an amazing job. Really, really impressive and right up there with the retail sets in my opinion.

This is my favorite MOC today, great job!

Great choice of building, and lovely build. There are lots of angular buildings in this contest, probably because it`s easier for the builder, and unfortunately this is how architects behave too. Kudos to you for something different.

:classic:

With regards to putting it on Cuusoo my gut feeling is that Lego won't be making any sets of overtly religious buildings any time soon! Although maybe the fact that it's now a museum means that that wouldn't be an issue.

Good luck in the contest though. It's probably my favourite out of what I've seen so far and there have been a lot of really good ones.