Rufus

Architecture Month: Building Contest

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

6870913259_3f3ed3d1dc_z.jpg

To help celebrate Architecture Month, Eurobricks is proud to present its first Architecture Building Contest!

The Idea

With the recent worldwide release of LEGO Architecture sets, including many landmark buildings from around the world, we would like you to create a LEGO rendition of an iconic building or landmark in the style of the existing LEGO Architecture sets.

The current Architecture line-up consists of two styles: the Architect Series features notable designs by famous Architects - examples include Fallingwater, Robie House and the Solomon R. Guggenheim® Museum; the Landmark Series consists of world-famous buildings, often rendered in micro-scale, such as the Empire State Building, Brandenburg Gate and Burj Khalifa.

We'd like you to create a LEGO rendition of an real, iconic building in either of these styles. Ideally it would be a building from your locality, but we will accept any real building, structure or monument, so long as it remains true to the overall Architecture style.

Index of Entries

The Rules

• The contest is open to all EB Members (except staff) who registered before 8th March, 2012 New registrants are allowed to enter.
  • Entries must be posted by midnight GMT, April 8, 2012.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously) and similar in style and size to the previous official TLG Architecture sets.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts. The exception to this is flex tube, which can be cut to the desired length.
  • Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Special Themes forum. The title of the topic should begin with "Architecture Contest: " and then give the name of the entry.
  • The entry post (first post in your entry topic) may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 4 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size. You must include one additional picture showing the real building.
  • You must state in the thread whether your entry is based on 'Architect Series' or 'Landmark Series'. If you choose an 'Architect Series' style entry, you must state the name of the architect.
  • No photoshopped backgrounds or packaging.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • Though this contest there is no promise from TLG to include the winner in the Architecture series products!!!

The Prizes - Note the new prizes kindly donated by TLG!

1st Prize: 21010 Robie House (worth 199 Euro)

2nd prize: You get a maximum budget of 150 Euro (~198 US$) to buy sets on LEGO Shop@Home.

3rd prize: You get a maximum budget of 50 Euro (~66US$) to buy sets on LEGO Shop@Home.

4th Prize: 21012 Sydney Opera House (worth 40 Euro)

5th Prize: 21011 Brandeburg Gate (worth 35 Euro)

Architecture Set prizes and worldwide shipping very kindly donated by The LEGO Group. Monetary-value prizes and world wide shipping are sponsored by Eurobricks.

Important remarks:

1. Each winner is allowed to select up to 5 sets as long as the total amount is under his/her maximum budget. We won't pay you the difference between your chosen sets and your maximum budget. Each winner provides us his/her list of sets and we'll buy them on S@H (don't buy them yourself). Your sets will be shipped to you directly from LEGO Shop@Home, so make sure Shop@Home ships to your country! If not, then you can still enter and we do our best to find a solution. We will pay for the shipment on top of your budget, so you can spend the full budget on sets.
  2. If you are one of the contest winners you'll get a PM after the contest is over to workout the details (like providing us your list of sets, your shipping address, etc.)

Edit - Rule change:

New registrants are allowed to enter; flex tube can be cut to different lengths.

Edited by Rufus
Prize pool expanded! Prices corrected.

Is there a size limit? For example, most of the Landmark series sets in microscale are considerably smaller than some of the larger Architect series houses (i.e. Robie House). Will there two separate categories for microscale buildings (typically 8x10 bases) and the larger ones?

FANTASTIC competition and a great prize! Yay Eurobricks!

Question... I have started a MOC that would fit the criteria perfectly. I haven't finished it and haven't posted a WIP anywhere - would it be fair to enter it? (If I finish it in time that is!)

On reading this I have already started doing some designing for it, but choosing a structure will be hard. :blush:

This is such a great idea for a contest! I've already got ideas! :sweet:

Awesome, I'm off to build right away. :sweet:

What's the ruling on official Lego stickers? Do those fit under the rule of "no cutting parts"?

Is there a size limit? For example, most of the Landmark series sets in microscale are considerably smaller than some of the larger Architect series houses (i.e. Robie House). Will there two separate categories for microscale buildings (typically 8x10 bases) and the larger ones?

There's no size limit, but we reserve the right to disqualify entries that do not fit into the Architecture genre. We'll warn you if your entry doesn't comply.

There won't be separate categories.

Question... I have started a MOC that would fit the criteria perfectly. I haven't finished it and haven't posted a WIP anywhere - would it be fair to enter it? (If I finish it in time that is!)

As long as it hasn't been displayed or posted publicly, it should be ok.

What's the ruling on official Lego stickers? Do those fit under the rule of "no cutting parts"?

Official LEGO stickers would be ok, provided they aren't tampered with.

There's no size limit, but we reserve the right to disqualify entries that do not fit into the Architecture genre. We'll warn you if your entry doesn't comply.

There won't be separate categories.

As long as it hasn't been displayed or posted publicly, it should be ok.

Official LEGO stickers would be ok, provided they aren't tampered with.

I really don't mean to be pestering - just trying to get a good handle on the expectations for this. It seems like it would be really hard to judge and evaluate between a 21000 Sears Tower type set versus a 21010 Robie House type set in the same category because they're such completely different styles and sizes. Maybe I'm missing something here?

are LDD entries allowed? I would only use parts in colors that exist, but my part collection isn't the best and I would still like to compete

EDIT never-mind, I just read the rules :laugh:

oh well maybe next time.

[*]Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.

Can flex tubes be allowed to be cut to custom lengths? It is a "legal" move with the LEGO Architecture Space Needle set and it would allow a lot more freedom in doing curving designs.

I would love to enter this :sweet:. If I can find the time that is, kind of limited amount of that at the moment :cry_sad:

Only real LEGO ???

That means Modulex, the old architecten LEGO, too ???

That's the real LEGO to build architectur !!!

Edited by Sinner
Removed irrelevant link

Can we paint pieces? There are a couple of bricks that would work well in microscale but only exist in a couple of colours...

I suppose the photo of the "real" building is to be shown together with the model's pic in the voting thread?

I really don't mean to be pestering - just trying to get a good handle on the expectations for this. It seems like it would be really hard to judge and evaluate between a 21000 Sears Tower type set versus a 21010 Robie House type set in the same category because they're such completely different styles and sizes. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Realism is key. A small model that is a recognisable representation of a famous building will most likely do better than a large model that is a poorer representation of an obscure one.

Can flex tubes be allowed to be cut to custom lengths? It is a "legal" move with the LEGO Architecture Space Needle set and it would allow a lot more freedom in doing curving designs.

That's an excellent point. :thumbup: We will allow cutting of flex-tubes (and only flex-tubes) as that is indeed a building feature of the Space Needle. I'll adjust the rules to reflect this.

Only real LEGO ???

That means Modulex, the old architecten LEGO, too ???

That's the real LEGO to build architectur !!!

Sorry, only System LEGO.

Can we paint pieces? There are a couple of bricks that would work well in microscale but only exist in a couple of colours...

No, sorry. You are allowed to make custom decals, though.

I suppose the photo of the "real" building is to be shown together with the model's pic in the voting thread?

Yes.

My design is almost done, after that I'll be bricklinking the pieces and build the real thing hopefully.

I have a building that I've already posted here before, but I've been thinking of rebuilding it in a different scale. Will that be eligible?

Fantastic contest idea.

I will make my best to participate.

Read about that contest today and registered immediately afterwards!

But I think, I'm too late (no registered member before 8th March 2012),

to enter? Am I?