solta

MOC: GM EMD GP9 Locomotive

To build my locomotive, I was inspired by sets 10133 (Santa Fe BNSF) and 10219 (Maersk Train). I picked up some solutions from these two locomotives and some solutions are mine.

The locomotive is constructed on the RC platform, which already has built-in battery box and IR receiver. This is the main reason why the lower part of the locomotive is in black color.

Locomotive is a replica of General Motors EMD mark GP9. It is 36 studs long and almost 8 studs wide over all. It has air vents for cooling air and air intake for engine. There are two exhausts on top.

picture-004.jpg

A few more photos here: GM locomotive EMD GP9

And the photo from behind:

picture-007.jpg

Nice one Solta. I like the B&W color combination. The side vent pieces (for lack of a better name) look good and add to the detail. Nice job on the back end as well - great use of the cheese slopes. Overall, a very impressive engine. :thumbup:

Cool.....nicely done....I had started working on a MOC of that very engine around Christmas, but in the Rock Island blue and white...but I stopped when I realized that the color I needed (the new med azure) wasn't in enough parts to make this without a ton of difficulty....

6940116609_61ff39859f.jpg

Here is what I was going for, plus I plan to do the caboose...if I can get the color worked out (the medium blue doesn't look right).

Edited by Tearloch

That's a very clever use of the RC train base. It's notoriously difficult to use well but this makes it look easy.

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Cool.....nicely done....I had started working on a MOC of that very engine around Christmas, but in the Rock Island blue and white...but I stopped when I realized that the color I needed (the new med azure) wasn't in enough parts to make this without a ton of difficulty....

Yeah I know, sometimes the color can be a problem. I always check the consistency between parts, color and availability during the construction.

As I can see, it seems to me that the photo shows the EMD mark GP7. May be I am wrong? But still a good choice.

As I can see, it seems to me that the photo shows the EMD mark GP7. May be I am wrong? But still a good choice.

The difference between a GP7 and a GP9 was mostly a more powerful engine on the GP9. On the exterior, the only difference was to the classification lights and an extra set of loovers on the side if I remember correctly. So you can decide which it is.

I've always been a big fan of the early diesels, especially the ones with tall short hoods. Your model is particularly good great! The extra challenge of using the RC base makes it even more impressive. The only easy thing about using the RC base is that you won't have to try to fit in the Power Function components. The color choice is quite striking with the yellow line separating the black and the white.

I have a small question. I noticed that the motor was clipped in one plate lower (which gives it the proper proportions) than the RC base allows. I was curious as to how you pulled that off?

Brick on!!

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

I have a small question. I noticed that the motor was clipped in one plate lower (which gives it the proper proportions) than the RC base allows. I was curious as to how you pulled that off?

Thanks 'Dan-147' for you comment.

The answer to you question: I simply added 'Black Technic, Plate 2 x 6 with 5 Holes' at the bottom.

32001.jpg?1

Edited by solta

Yeah I know, sometimes the color can be a problem. I always check the consistency between parts, color and availability during the construction.

Nice catch...I am actually new to the whole train world, so I make some mistakes like that...I guess I was speaking of the overall design (tall hood, early diesel, etc).

I am hoping that I can make mine a reality at some point. With the Medium Azure being a new color, I hope it gets an expanded part inventory in the near future. I actually think I could do about 95% of what I need with existing parts, but I got lazy :sweet:

Anyway, your MOC is flippin awesome. The colors really pop, and the RC base saves the dreaded decals. Thanks so much for sharing it. My first post kinda missed that point (it was late...wife was nagging...forgot why I was replying). On my re-read, I seemed like I was trying to steal the show.....not intended :look:

Very nice work there Solta with using the IR base, they are not the most build friendly of elements to use but you have done a really good job with creating such a nice looking locomotive.

Looking good! I love the roof design. I might have to steal some of that and re-deaux my GP-9. Nice use of the RC base as others have mentioned. It can be tough to incorporate nicely, but you managed it.

-- Davey --

Thanks again to all for your comments.

Looking good! I love the roof design. I might have to steal some of that and re-deaux my GP-9. Nice use of the RC base as others have mentioned. It can be tough to incorporate nicely, but you managed it.

-- Davey --

Hi Dave. I saw your GP9. It looks great. Red color makes it more powerful. Good job.

Nice loco. I really like the colors.

100th Post.

Edited by Legoroni

This is why I like bumping from time to time very much ...

Missed this entirely. It is absolutely brilliant. That bulky piece (the RC train failure base) is rusting somewhere deeply buried in some box ... time to get it out! What a cool design Solta! The very slim design is really nice. And it comes with the batteries nicely wrapped up. And it does not interfere with the PF channels. And you can run it with the much more better PF train motor.

Absolutely nice.

Best regards,

Thorsten

Thanks again everyone for all your comments. I really had fun when I designed the locomotive.