Sign in to follow this  
AwesomeTaylor

My new modular - Bakery and Sushi Shop!

indexed.gif B-OM-13C

Hello everyone! By now I am sure you are all aware of my love for 16-wide modular buildings! Along with my new builds, I have been working on converting my previous 32-wide modulars to this new standard and I have just finished my Bakery and Sushi Shop!

Here is the 32-wide version:

5995184473_119f2b2781.jpg

The biggest issues were:

- The rooftop garden was nice, but the garage was wasted space

- No one knew it was a Bakery unless they looked inside! And the interior of the bakery was barren

- Everyone just thought it was a Sushi Shop - there wasn't enough to distinguish the two businesses

- Not enough pink!

And here is the new building!

6878525365_3de1c72309.jpg

Here is my newest modular - the Bakery and Sushi Shop!

6878525913_869c587735.jpg

Here is a head on view of the building. It's a bout a brick taller than the Pet Shop

6878526405_38b1315e20.jpg

The spiral stairs take you up to the bakery

6878524677_b2c125e4b0.jpg

He might not look too happy with his cramped little space, but this guy makes the best sushi in town!

6878527071_a17e135616.jpg

A lady chooses some cupcakes for herself from the display downstairs

6878523985_0b84108f69.jpg

This woman is very excited to be picking up snacks for her office!

6878527735_4dacb415ac.jpg

Here the baker is working on a new batch of cookies! Behind her is a wedding cake waiting to be picked up, and her shelves are full of treats for people to buy!

6878528265_3bfd05c88a.jpg

The ladder comes into place to allow the baker and her friends to go up to the apartment

6878529013_71a13d0188.jpg

The bed and couch in the apartment above the bakery

6878529671_7bbc6058fd.jpg

Here a girl almost falls over taking a book off the shelf...

6878530783_ce38c01eb2.jpg

Here is a slightly blurry picture showing the different floors

Great build 'AT'! Lots of unique colors. I like the details throughout this modular, especially on the "Sushi" sign. I'd like to learn how to build those a bit better. Keep up the great builds default_classic.gif

Excellent modular design 'AwesomeTaylor', neat little Sushi bar downstairs....the bakery could have also passed as a florist too ! :wink:

Brick On ! :classic:

Wow! ur 32-wide house is really nice! the staircase is really well-made. actually to make the Bakery visible, u can remove/reduce the planter boxes and put up a Bakery signage there.

Great design!!!! Two shops compressed to 16 wide, shouldn't be possible. But you've just made it :wink: It looks very urban and natural with these shops placed as close to one another. One might think that you're japanese, with the sushi and the excellent use of small space :wink:

Somehow the light and dark pink seems very natural. I would never have considered those colours for a modular. unless something cuban purhaps. But yours looks really great.

It might have been done before. But my favourite detail is the couch-pillows. Simple yet brilliant!!!

I can see why you're going from 32-wide to 16-wide, as it does make new buildings more affordable, but an unfortunate side effect is that the buildings also tend to get less impressive. I haven't seen your old 32-wide version before, and I love it - it's got some great details, like the balcony, the garage and that double staircase out front. It would stand out in a line of modulars - it's different.

The new one doesn't tick the same boxes. I like the old sushi sign better (I think grey works better than yellow), and the pink and brown floor doesn't do it for me. It's a bit too colourful for my taste, and it just looks much less sophisticated. In my opinion, you've gone from something great to something average.

What I do like, though, is the interior. The bakery and the apartment are both very, very nice.

Great build 'AT'! Lots of unique colors. I like the details throughout this modular, especially on the "Sushi" sign. I'd like to learn how to build those a bit better. Keep up the great builds default_classic.gif

Thanks! Making the sushi sign yellow is what finally pulled everything together I think, although the yellow parts seemed to be a tighter design than the light grey ones so the fit wasn't *quite* as clean.

Here is a great guide to help you plan your signage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-segment_display_character_representations#Latin_alphabet

Looks very nice! I really like that pink floor and the bed inside! Keep up the good work.

Thanks! Making the bakery pink (the previous model was gray with a pink stripe running through it) really brightened it up! And the interior is MUCH more detailed than what I did previously!

Excellent modular design 'AwesomeTaylor', neat little Sushi bar downstairs....the bakery could have also passed as a florist too ! :wink:

Brick On ! :classic:

Perhaps, but the original bakery was made as a sort-of mini tribute to my fiancee who makes incredible cakes and cookies, so there was no way I could have changed it!

Wow! ur 32-wide house is really nice! the staircase is really well-made. actually to make the Bakery visible, u can remove/reduce the planter boxes and put up a Bakery signage there.

Well, I took it to bits to make this new adaptation, but that's a good suggestion. I was considering brick-building a cupcake sign, but thought it might have been a little over the top for a little town bakery :D

Great design!!!! Two shops compressed to 16 wide, shouldn't be possible. But you've just made it :wink: It looks very urban and natural with these shops placed as close to one another. One might think that you're japanese, with the sushi and the excellent use of small space :wink:

Somehow the light and dark pink seems very natural. I would never have considered those colours for a modular. unless something cuban purhaps. But yours looks really great.

It might have been done before. But my favourite detail is the couch-pillows. Simple yet brilliant!!!

Thanks! I have a few buildings where there are other businesses on the different floors, such as my Skate Shop and Butchers I posted a few weeks ago, but I really wanted to distinguish the two different businesses on the outside here!

The pink worked much better than I expected! I thought that once I added it to my lineup it would look a little overpowering but it wasn't too bad!

Thanks! The couch was fun to build, but the first design was WAY too dark. The cushions brought it to life I think :)

Great looking modular, really like that double curve stair, not sure about the pink bits though :sceptic:

Thanks! The pink on the 32-wide? Yea, it really didn't quite fit into place, which is why I added much more on the new design. Or do you just not care for the colour pink in general?

I must agree with L@go here. The 32x32 building looks much better to me than the 16x16. I love the colours you used, although the Sushi sign look better in the smaller building. The Medium blue stands out better in yellow then in the Light gray.

The interieur look very pleasing.

Another big fan of 16-wide modulars here - good work on utilizing the space you've had available to the maximum! I also enjoyed the 'unconventional' second floor of the bakery and the diagonal arrangement of the entire building. I must admit though that I' mot a huge fan of the pink + other colours combo - it does work great with bley, but the addition of brown, yellow and light blue makes for a rather eclectic facade. Then again, I guess that's just what you were aiming for, placing a sushi bar and a bakery in the same building, so it does look rather sweet :sweet:

I can see why you're going from 32-wide to 16-wide, as it does make new buildings more affordable, but an unfortunate side effect is that the buildings also tend to get less impressive. I haven't seen your old 32-wide version before, and I love it - it's got some great details, like the balcony, the garage and that double staircase out front. It would stand out in a line of modulars - it's different.

The new one doesn't tick the same boxes. I like the old sushi sign better (I think grey works better than yellow), and the pink and brown floor doesn't do it for me. It's a bit too colourful for my taste, and it just looks much less sophisticated. In my opinion, you've gone from something great to something average.

What I do like, though, is the interior. The bakery and the apartment are both very, very nice.

I appreciate the honesty! The old design sure did stand out in my old line-up as something unique and I enjoyed some of the details - but the old sign and garage were sticking points for me a bit. The garage because I struggle with making cars so it really sat empty most of the time, and the blue in the old sign wasn't as noticeable as it looks in the picture here.

The double staircase WAS something that I wanted to keep, and at 16-wide I could have just squeezed it in, but then I would have had two very cramped commercial spaces. And as I am moving everything to 16-wide due to personal preference I had to sacrifice a small part of it.

I agree that it IS very colourful though - however some of the other buildings I am working on are quite a bit darker and monotone so I am hoping that this can liven them up a little when placed together :)

And thanks for your compliment on the interior - I'm having more and more fun making them!

I must agree with L@go here. The 32x32 building looks much better to me than the 16x16. I love the colours you used, although the Sushi sign look better in the smaller building. The Medium blue stands out better in yellow then in the Light gray.

The interieur look very pleasing.

Thanks! I tried a few different colours, but yellow seemed to work best when placed alongside the medium blue and the bright pink! Another bonus was that all of the parts were readily available!

Another big fan of 16-wide modulars here - good work on utilizing the space you've had available to the maximum! I also enjoyed the 'unconventional' second floor of the bakery and the diagonal arrangement of the entire building. I must admit though that I' mot a huge fan of the pink + other colours combo - it does work great with bley, but the addition of brown, yellow and light blue makes for a rather eclectic facade. Then again, I guess that's just what you were aiming for, placing a sushi bar and a bakery in the same building, so it does look rather sweet :sweet:

Thanks! Yes, 16-wide introduces a whole host of extra challenges, and you are forced to get a little extra creative, but I think that is a big part of their appeal! And yes, I defiantly went all-out on having a bight building - some of the other ones I am working on are a little on the dull side colour-wise so I wanted something loud and exciting to break up the monotony a little in my street-scape!

I appreciate the honesty! The old design sure did stand out in my old line-up as something unique and I enjoyed some of the details - but the old sign and garage were sticking points for me a bit. The garage because I struggle with making cars so it really sat empty most of the time, and the blue in the old sign wasn't as noticeable as it looks in the picture here.

The double staircase WAS something that I wanted to keep, and at 16-wide I could have just squeezed it in, but then I would have had two very cramped commercial spaces. And as I am moving everything to 16-wide due to personal preference I had to sacrifice a small part of it.

I agree that it IS very colourful though - however some of the other buildings I am working on are quite a bit darker and monotone so I am hoping that this can liven them up a little when placed together :)

Being an avid car-builder myself, the garage is just the kind of thing I'd love in a modular, but if you don't build cars yourself I can definitely see why you'd want to get rid of it :)

As for the staircase, I think it was probably a good idea to chop it in half for the 16-wide. If not, it would just have taken up too much space.

Great job, Awesome taylor!

My only suggesastion would be to change all that grey (and I so :wub: that much grey) into another colour, such as brown.

Dakar

I actually like this one better than the 32-wide. The exterior is fine, only I find too much pink in this model, and in this way, the 32-wide was nicer. However, the overall look is more simple, and as you said, can be distinguished more easily that there's a bakery and a sushi shop. The interiors is great, the bakery is my favourite. It's so full with different sweets and treats. And the pink walls look quiet nice for the bakery. Also, the appartment interiors is well done. :thumbup:

I'm really liking 16 wide buildings too, and yours is a very fun build :thumbup: I love the use of pink for the buildings businesses. I find that bakeries and sushi shops frequently have some pretty bright colors on them to draw attention and pink's pretty cool for this.

Being an avid car-builder myself, the garage is just the kind of thing I'd love in a modular, but if you don't build cars yourself I can definitely see why you'd want to get rid of it :)

As for the staircase, I think it was probably a good idea to chop it in half for the 16-wide. If not, it would just have taken up too much space.

Haha, I think I struggle mostly through not having the little bits and pieces I would need to sit down and work on them - for some reason I really struggle to design them in LDD. It's a goal for later this year though.

The staircase also had the added issue, when you have two store-fronts, of pushing the building back even further. I have a modular that is mostly complete that I want to re work for precisely the issue that I think it is too far forward and looks awkward, so having something starting 12+studs back would have been just as bad!

Great job, Awesome taylor!

My only suggesastion would be to change all that grey (and I so :wub: that much grey) into another colour, such as brown.

Dakar

The gray at the top of the building?

I actually like this one better than the 32-wide. The exterior is fine, only I find too much pink in this model, and in this way, the 32-wide was nicer. However, the overall look is more simple, and as you said, can be distinguished more easily that there's a bakery and a sushi shop. The interiors is great, the bakery is my favourite. It's so full with different sweets and treats. And the pink walls look quiet nice for the bakery. Also, the appartment interiors is well done. :thumbup:

Thanks! I actually considered more detailing on the front of the building but though, especially with the apartment, that I had gone a little over the top on the old building so dialed it back a bit.

Thanks for your kind words regarding the interiors, it was fun to try to put so much into the little space!

I'm really liking 16 wide buildings too, and yours is a very fun build :thumbup: I love the use of pink for the buildings businesses. I find that bakeries and sushi shops frequently have some pretty bright colors on them to draw attention and pink's pretty cool for this.

Thanks! I might have been a good idea for me to show it as part of a line-up - the bright pink doesn't look quite as overwhelming then :D

I very much like the bay window and the staircase design. And the apartement is just lovely, I want to live there! With a bakery down below, what more can you ask for?

I must admit, though, that the 32wide version of your building is more impressive from the outside, like L@go and the dutch guy already pointed out.

You've done it again. Both your 32 and 16 wide modulars are excellent. I like the two storefront facade in one building like that. The interior doesn't disappoint either. Well done.

I very much like the bay window and the staircase design. And the apartement is just lovely, I want to live there! With a bakery down below, what more can you ask for?

I must admit, though, that the 32wide version of your building is more impressive from the outside, like L@go and the dutch guy already pointed out.

Thank you! Yes, it is much more difficult to make a building that looks big and impressive with 16-wide - but that's part of the challenge :D

You've done it again. Both your 32 and 16 wide modulars are excellent. I like the two storefront facade in one building like that. The interior doesn't disappoint either. Well done.

I really appreciate this, thank you!

I like the 32-wide version better, but its a close shave. Each version gives off a different vibe - the 32-wide says "affluent historical city center", while the 16-wide says "crowded high-rise tenements". Plus, the entirely pink storey section looks strange to me. But the inside is sweet, especially the top floor apartment. And the stairs are great too, in either version. :thumbup:

Strange combination (I hope whoever makes the food deliveries doesn't mix up his orders by accident) but I like the buildings overall. I don't think I will ever warm up to pink as a viable building color, but you have used it as well as I've seen. Nice interiors, too.

Thanks! The pink on the 32-wide? Yea, it really didn't quite fit into place, which is why I added much more on the new design. Or do you just not care for the colour pink in general?

Not that I don't like pink, just looks out of place on this building with the more neutral colors used, what made you choose pink?

I like the 32-wide version better, but its a close shave. Each version gives off a different vibe - the 32-wide says "affluent historical city center", while the 16-wide says "crowded high-rise tenements". Plus, the entirely pink storey section looks strange to me. But the inside is sweet, especially the top floor apartment. And the stairs are great too, in either version. :thumbup:

Thanks! Yes, they definitely give off very different looks! It's surprising how such small details can totally change the tone of the building!

Strange combination (I hope whoever makes the food deliveries doesn't mix up his orders by accident) but I like the buildings overall. I don't think I will ever warm up to pink as a viable building color, but you have used it as well as I've seen. Nice interiors, too.

I should have gotten a photo of the back, that light pink door actually leads to a loading bay! But i would like to think that the baker is paying attention and doesn't make any salmon cupcakes! I know that the sushi chef would get especially angry if he was delivered flour and chocolate!! :D

Not that I don't like pink, just looks out of place on this building with the more neutral colors used, what made you choose pink?

1) It was a bright, exciting colour. I was starting to worry that my buildings would all turn out a bland gray/tan!

2) The building was made for my fiancee and she wanted it to be bright!