• 4730 Chamber of Secrets
    • 4753 Sirius Black's Escape
    • 4756 Shrieking Shack
    • 4766 Graveyard Duel
    • 4767 Harry and the Hungarian Horntail
    • 4768 Durmstrang Ship
    • 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost
    • Other (not listed above)

A howling wind begins to twirl frightfully around you chilling the flesh of your bones. Skeletons, Ghosts, and Undead Creatures of the Night begin to dance around you. It is 13 days befor Halloween, the time in which the spirits of the dead invade the living world, to haunt the places we fear the most; the dark places, the frightful places, and those places that we do not name for just their names invoke fear.

In celebration of Halloween, I have chosen 12 sets that I feel are among the most spooky of the Lego collection for you to choose from. The 13th set remains unnamed for those of you who wish to select a set not on my list voting for "Other".

Look at these sets carefully, for they are all possessed with spooks and haunts of Lego's most infamous of scary creatures. Discuss your selection below. *skull*

13spookysets.jpg

Neat poll, Brickster.

I voted 4766 Graveyard Duel. I very well designed set, with a great amount of pieces for it's price. *y*

i voted for 1380, Werewolf Ambush... for all the reasons said here and here ;-)

although, the 4756 Shrieking Shack is worth mentioning... its rotating house was the inspiration behind my haunted mercantile in GHOST TOWN'S HAUNTED PASS 6776.

Yes, both are very good choices as well as the Graveyard Duel that SD mentioned. This is among my favorite.

Graveyard Duel.

Sure, there's skeletons and ghosts in other Lego sets, but this one REALLY has kids confronting the concept of death, and in a horror movie kind of way. >:-)

Damn... now that I look at it closer on Brickshelf, I'm kinda' cheesed off that they never sold them at any stores in this town.

>: (

Hard one really |-/

I am still undecided between two sets or two concepts in a way:

* Vampire's Crypt: Since I'm a kid I always loved the classic Dracula movies and their fantastic atmosphere: Peter Cushing frightened walking into the crypt, witha stake in its hand to get the world rid of the infamous count *wub* Orthe more fun approach taken by Polanski :-P

Also, the vampire MF is one of the best ever made by TLC

* Graveyard Duel: exactly for the reason put forward by Jinzo: the real approach od death

I think I'll vote nonetheless for my 1st option ;-)

*yoda*

6034 Black Monarch's Ghost . Look at the knight, he is sooo scared of that ghost, I mean, it glows! I bet at night, pitchblack, that ghost right in front of you( perhaps on your face??), yeah, that could be scary. Scarier to know how it got there!

6034 Black Monarch's Ghost . Look at the knight, he is sooo scared of that ghost, I mean, it glows! I bet at night, pitchblack, that ghost right in front of you( perhaps on your face??), yeah, that could be scary. Scarier to know how it got there!

Great choice. For $, value, and quality, I chose this set as my first. Lego doesn't make sets like this anymore. My 2nd choice is the Graveyard Duel, although I would not like this set for smaller children.

It was very different for Lego to offer a set as dark as this. I do love it; however, for the design, some of the pieces, and figs. I esp. like the wagon.

Graveyard Duel.Llike Jinzoningen73 said,it really shows a confrontation with Death itself (although It is only half a fig,stuck to a gravestone X-D ).

I'm suprised anyone voted for that.

You have a man on a fast horse... and the ghost is present in just a tiny enclosure.

I imagine he'd ride up to it, the door would open by itself (unless he used his weapon while mounted to open it), followed by "Zounds. That's not quite right", at which point he goes galloping away to go get hammered at a pub.

What it lacks is peril. There's no enclosure, no one way out, no getting trapped. And he's looking down on the spectre...

A haunted house, a graveyard, an arena, etc etc... it's you using even more of your frightened brain cells to calculate an escape route, however simple.

Despite all this, if he were dismounted in that pic, perhaps a few studs away from the horse, maybe even the ghost's enclosure in between him and the horse... THEN it'd be a little more scary.

Despite all this, if he were dismounted in that pic, perhaps a few studs away from the horse, maybe even the ghost's enclosure in between him and the horse... THEN it'd be a little more scary.
hmmm... that brings up an interesting point... i voted for my favorite set... not the one i thought was most scary...

i think the graveyard duel is the most scary, with all the openning tombs, scary tree, and cart. however, i voted for werewolf ambush, cause i like it the best ;-)

- BrickMiner

hmmm... that brings up an interesting point... i voted for my favorite set... not the one i thought was most scary...

It's a combination of most favorite spooky set. You voted correctly.

I don't think Black Monarch's Ghost is the most scary, but it is my favorite of the bunch for reasons mentioned above.

I'd have thought Vladeks Dark Fortress would have been listed.

Anyways, I voted for the laboratory.

I have a question: Why is the durmstrang ship on the list?? I don't think it is spooky at all...

I think it has a spooky look - almost like a ghost ship.

I'd have thought Vladeks Dark Fortress would have been listed.

This was my set of spooky pics. Everyone has different opinions. You could have always voted for Other and named this set. Others may agree with you.

Not all ghosts have to be evil *skull* .I wasn't really a fan of the HP sets, the Studios sets are quite nice, but I liked the Monarchs ghost the best

Well, I think Graveyard Duel is definately the most spookiest set of the bunch (10 out of 18 or 55% of the respondents voted for this set).

Did anyone ever do a pic review of this set?

I really like the minfigures in the studios sets (especially the Dracula and Mummy, my two favorite movie monsters), but the set designs were a bit lacking. The Graveyard is a pretty good set too, but I can't stand the fleshtones. The Shrieking Shack, also has some useful pieces, particularly the windows and dog. But in the end, I'm going to have to vote with my first lego love: Castle. So I choose the black monarch's ghost, the original spooky (and glow in the dark) fantasy set. Plus you get some nifty doors and a fully armored knight.

Steve

As I was taking another look at these sets, I realized I did forget a very spooky set: Arkham Asylum. It should definately be in this collection. - maybe also the KK Scorpion Prison Cave and Vladek's Dark Fortress (as mentioned). - Maybe I'll add these next year and make the list a little broader.

Graveyard Duel is definately by far the winner!