Sign in to follow this  
tatertots

Winter Village: Brickmaker's Shop

indexed.gif B-OV-22A

For the Expand the Winter Village contest: Brickmaker's Shop

The story line, a youngster drops off his brick order at the Brickmaker while the snow blower keeps the sidewalk clear. Inside the Brickmakers are all hard at work. We've got one loading in ABS pellets to be turned into some lovely 1x2 plates while another worker loads up boxes to be shipped out. Upstairs in the imagination room a designer plays with new molds and designs for the upcoming year.

6765803467_7cdfffc501.jpg

6765851487_7e562e2e0e.jpg

6765865281_cfd9642e82.jpg

6765865303_8ce9aa6502.jpg

The project was inspired by two projects, LEGO's limited release of a Molding Machineand Department 56's release of a project with some LEGO bricks in it. I was also inspired by the current Winter Village line and tried to incoporate some elements of those models including a distinct chimney, Christmas colors such as dark green and red, and a layout that encourages play. I also like the Friends floor concept where tiles are mixed with plates so that minifigs can be moved around and posed in a wider range of poses. I'm planning on doing this to the second floor but ran out of time.

Winter Village: Brickmaker's Shop

Enjoy!

Nick

Edited by Phred

I love the idea and the colours - it's a bit disappointing that you've merely copied another concept, but what a nice concept it is, and you've stuck to the original idea. It looks like something that would easily fit in with the official WV buildings.

That's a great idea. The colours are simple and nice, yet they do give the Christmas feeling. I like how you showed different steps of brick production. My favourite detail is the snow blower. He comes very hand with all the snow in WV. Well done. :thumbup:

I really like the concept, there are numerous interesting features. I really like all your LEGO block building machines and the snow blower.

The overall design is very whimsecle and as such does fit with the Winter Village concept.

Andy D

Very nice, I like the consistency it provides to the other buildings. It fits in perfectly and isn't overbuilt. Great job.

I love the idea and the colours - it's a bit disappointing that you've merely copied another concept, but what a nice concept it is, and you've stuck to the original idea. It looks like something that would easily fit in with the official WV buildings.

It's definitely an interesting point of discussion to figure out how to describe where the various influences come for a project like this. Some aspects of the ceremaic Department 56 model translated to the LEGO elements nicely, such as the glass front, while others lead to a complete departure, developing a workshop on the second floor and a roof that would allow me to keep things to scale (I tried something more like the Department 56 model with one giant sweeping face but the model quickly got too tall to pursue so I had to come up with something else). I'm often left wondering how far to go with noting influences with a project as there are problably half-dozen more notations I could make about where an idea came from. For example, this band saw got me thinking about how to build a stand-up model for this and my snow blower was the result of a search for other LEGOsnow blowers online. While there are some similarities to these components it was tons of fun figuring out how to make a new one that I could call my own :classic:

Perhaps this would be a good discussion thread? How far do go with noting your sources of inspiration? Is it distracting? Something we need to more of? Meh?

Edited by tatertots

Excellent entry ' tatertots ', I really like all the machinery in the place ! :grin:

Nice exterior detailing too ! :classic:

Good luck and Brick On 'tatertots' ! :classic:

Lovely shop 'tatertots'! Very colorful, it makes this very appealing. The detailed tools inside are great and the parts rack and snowblower are great, especially you take on the blower!. Great job and good luck in the contest default_classic.gif

It's definitely an interesting point of discussion to figure out how to describe where the various influences come for a project like this.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an absolutely lovely creation, and one that I'd love to add to my own Winter Village setup! The only reason I brought it up is because I interpreted it as an entry for the Expand The Winter Village contest, and as such I'd expect it to be an original idea rather than something that so obviously draws inspiration from something else. But I don't underestimate the building skills needed to transfer the ideas from the model into Lego!

Very neat build. I really like the color scheme. The windows are a nice touch too. My favorite part is the snowblower though!

Interesting concept for a build. I suppose minifigures would like to play with Lego as well.

Keep up the good work.

Very neat build. I really like the color scheme. The windows are a nice touch too. My favorite part is the snowblower though!

Interesting concept for a build. I suppose minifigures would like to play with Lego as well.

Keep up the good work.

have fun with it!

6773501415_6304a1bc6a_m.jpg

I think this would make a great set! Could easily see this with the Winter Village line or as a standard City set. Does the conveyer belt work?

I think this would make a great set! Could easily see this with the Winter Village line or as a standard City set. Does the conveyer belt work?

I thought about it but then ditched the idea. The belt does turn if you move it with your fingers. I tried slipping an axel in there to come out by the chimney or the molding the machine but found the space to be a bit tight to maintain the overall look. The easiest idea would be to have something come out by the chimney near the ground. I was thinking the turning mechanism on the exterior wall could have been made to look like a vent or electric meter (2x2 round tile with decal)or something to that effect. I'll play it with some more since you asked! Time to block out the next few nights :laugh:

Edited by tatertots