Sign in to follow this  
______

Spartan Trireme MOC

[pid][/pid] 130B

During Christmas I decided (finally) that my Series 2 Spartans needed something, not having any of those new column pieces a Temple was out of the question, instead I tried something new, a rather unusual thing to make from LEGO, a Trireme. These were used during the 5th Century BC by Spartans during the Greco-Persian wars. Mine is based off a real replica off one (loosely) called Olympias. I think my favourite thing about this ship is the fact that very few people have replicated a Trireme in LEGO, It makes me feel unique :laugh:

So here it is.

6668756519_cfa605fd8e_z.jpg

The ram at the front is used to smash into other ships and hopefully make a hole in the hull. Triremes usually had eyes painted on the bow.

6668748539_51f3489020_z.jpg

This ship has 60 Minifigs to row it, they range from Darth Vader to Father Christmas.

6668739697_5ee2031b72_z.jpg

The back section of the ship uses a viking hull, the shape was perfect for the back, though I needed to add a bit extra to the sides using a bit of sloping and SNOT in order to cover up a big gap.

6668762055_b0739beffe_z.jpg

This is my favourite shot of the ship, probably because it's the only semi-clear one I have :laugh:

I hope you enjoyed seeing my slightly unconventional LEGO ship, Comments and Criticism are welcome :wink:

Edited by Big Cam
added Pirate index #

This is totally AWESOME 'halfpenguinhalflego', sails perfect, haul of the ship perfect.....just an excellent piece of MOCing dude.

Planing any other creations shortly eh ? :wink:

Brick On Sail On Fight On 'halfpenguinhalflego' ! :grin:

I really like your MOC. Seeing all the creations here on Eurobricks makes me want to try and make MOCs of my own. For some reason ships have always been very appealing to me. Just haven't had the guts to fully dive in.

I don't know anything about that part of history, but your MOC is very impressive.

Keep up the great builds!

Awesome trireme, you're right, it's not a ship we see very often. Are the gundecks accesible? I'd love to see some pictures of that, 60 minifigs rowing in unison. :wub: There's only one small thing that's bothering me, the eyes. I dunno, the front just looks like an angry bird to me. Maybe something like this would work better?

Awesome ship! The pirate forums guys needta see this!!! Great techniques for covering up the rear hull.. Now all might need is a Helen of Troy figure and a Brad Pitt-ish minifig to redo Troy in Lego form..

ps - Haha i loved how you describe the rowers - from Darth Vader to Santa Claus..

Your ship is amazing, it has the right look.

Compliments on it.

If possible I would like to see the interior.

I have to concur with others, the eyes need a curvy form and perhaps a little of blue.

Greetings. :classic:

This is a very original ship! :thumbup: The execution is great, your woodwork is awesome, and the colors go well with the subject depicted. If I may humbly make a suggestion though; your main back sail is a little bit too small, and looks a bit off. If you make a custom sail that's 2 or 2.5 times as long as the one you have on right now it will instantly look better. Check out proportions of this

Well done! :sweet:

What did they have to do to get Vader to row? :wink: Very nice, although the sails are a bit colorful. Maybe using the sails from QAR?

Great ship, very well done on a tricky hull shape! :thumbup: Sirens-of-Titan raises a valid point with the masts and sails though, and you look like you could use a few more brown oars. Although with Vader on board, you could probably force propel the ship along! :laugh:

Great work! The moment I got that Viking hull, I thought it would be perfect for this. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the great comments! :tongue:

In regards to the sails, many Triremes had colourful sails. Just depends how much dye was on hand I guess :laugh:. However I agree that maybe the back sail good be larger, or alternatively, the front sail good be smaller. Especially seeing the link 'Sirens-Of-Titan' provided.

Now it's interesting that 'Skipper' said that the eyes look like Grumpy Sparrows. I had the same feeling in the back of my head. I love the link you provided, I wish I knew that this MOC was there whilst building the ship. :sweet:

An excellent ship, better than most that LEGO has released. Are all or the figures going to be issued their oars at one point?

An excellent ship, better than most that LEGO has released. Are all or the figures going to be issued their oars at one point?

If I get the hang of this Bricklink thing then I may get them some oars, and if I have not demolished the ship for parts by then. Thanks for the great compliment!

P.S "Grumpy Sparrows" I like :wink:

I applaud you for the use of the Viking hull in such a fashion. I've tried MOCing it similar to this but nothing I made was conceivably close to how good that is.

Thanks! :laugh: I thought that the only effective way of making a trireme's stern was using a viking hull.