Homer_S

Lighting the 3677 PF with 8870

Hi all this is one my first topics started on this site so bear with me.

I picked up the red cargo train before christmas at TRU on a buy 1 get one 50% so I decided to order a 8870 light kit for it. They did not leave any room for is so it took some modifications.

IMG-20111210-00053.jpg

IMG-20111210-00052.jpg

IMG-20111210-00050.jpg

I switched the bricks that hold the headlamp with the open back style and with the 1x2 panels installed behind there is vclearance for the 8870. I also had to change the smooth 1x3 plates on the top of the hood with 1x4 to streghten the assembly.

the second engine has no PF, just rolling stock, The PF is going in another project.

I also lighted my sons 9738 with the 8870, no modifications needed, there is room behind the front panel and a gap under the panel under the engineer to run the wire.

Hi, This is a clever solution! :) I see you are showing the wiring to the rear end of the engine, and I have a question, were you able to add lighting to the head end as well? Does wiring go under the battery box? There is hardly any space under the battery box and I can't think of any other solution? I'm curious to know how you solved it. By the way I just joined the site and this is my first message. :) Thanks.

Nice modification! Can we see a photo with the lights on at night or something like that?

I too added PF lights to another train - 7938 Red passenger train. (

)

As for the wiring, well it goes either below or above the battery box, wherever there's some place to squeeze the wires.

I figure its a locomotive, front is a relitive term, depends on what direction the engine is pointing. My 9738 is lit in the lower white housing, no modifications.

Hi, This is a clever solution! :) I see you are showing the wiring to the rear end of the engine, and I have a question, were you able to add lighting to the head end as well? Does wiring go under the battery box? There is hardly any space under the battery box and I can't think of any other solution? I'm curious to know how you solved it. By the way I just joined the site and this is my first message. :) Thanks.

I've had a quick fiddle with LDD to see if the fronts can be lit and reckon I've got a pretty good run from the IR to the front under the battery pack. It is a tight fit under the battery, but the small cables should run under like they do in the passenger train. I'll post an update when I get round to ordering the light set (all my others are being used and a hassle to rip them out to try).

The front method is pretty much the same as Homer's idea though when it comes to the light sections. I've kept to the official dark grey centre block between the lights though rather than red like homer has done.

Edited by balsaq