Locutis

Motorizing Emerald Night 10194 with PF Motor 88002

Hi everyone,

I have an Emerald Night set (10194) motorized the proper way. However, my gears jam sometimes, and overall I dislike the gear-driven wheels and motor setup, especially since it takes away the driver and other parts of the set.

What I'd like to do is modify my set to use the PF battery and motor inside the tender. I saw in a Youtube video it has been done with 9v motors, but has anyone really done this with the PF kit?

Would the tender with only a pair of wheels look strange? How do I get the power cable to the battery without too much hassle?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know this train has been out for quite some time, and if this has already been discussed, please accept my apologies and include a link. I searched and could not find a topic covering this subject.

Locutis

Hello,I found this on brickshelf athough it uses an pf xl motor instead of the pf train motor.

Brickshelf link

That's quite a MOD'd EN and it looks like an M, not an XL motor.

What I don't like about motorizing the EN the official way is the battery box being so obvious. I've been playing around with different ways to motorize mine. I have 2 so I do have extra parts which is helpful. If you really want to motorize the tender & you have some extra pieces you could make the tender a little longer so you could balance out the wheels. You could also make it a bit taller so you can cover the battery. It shouldn't to too hard to create a gap for the power cord to come up from the motor to the battery box.

I'm in the process of trying to build my battery box into the very front of my locomotive and moving the XL motor forward and extending the cab a few studs. We'll see how it works out, I'm just waiting on some bricks to arrive in the mail.

it jams because I guess your gear wheels are not in 90 degree out phase....

try to get it to this setting and will work much better =] *secret tips lol

it jams because I guess your gear wheels are not in 90 degree out phase....

try to get it to this setting and will work much better =] *secret tips lol

I have checked this, and they are setup correctly. When the battery is completely charged, it runs fine. However, once the battery drains a bit, the motor chug-chug-chugs in a lurching motion, and if I run it too slowly, it tends to want to stop.

Also, if I run it slow in reverse, it stops on a corner.

There's resistance because of all of the moving parts, and I'd like to smooth it out like how the other trains run. It's nice having a mechanical train, but quite honestly it's unnecessary. My son's Red Cargo Train lasts a lot longer on a charge than mine, which is indicative that the gears cause friction, reducing the efficiency of the motor and battery. I'd like to strip all gears out of the inside of the Loco and have all of the wheels free moving.

Locutis

Part of the problem with the EN is the piston rods binding and there's an article in Railbricks issue 7 on how to improve them and other problem fixes.

Edited by Snapshot

Hi, I just managed my Emerald Night with a 88003 (L-Motor) inside the boiler. I will post it in some days when I have some pictures. Here is just a picture to see the modification with the motor and the receiver.10194_L-Motor.jpg.76c08b68bb40e85df40917fc07a05a20.jpg

Edited by Oliver77