Sign in to follow this  
F0NIX

MOD: 3221 LEGO City Truck

indexed.gif V-LC-14C

This is a modification (MOD) that is not about the look. I tried to keep the look on the Truck as close as possible to the original. But it has got a lot of internal modifications. This is the second version. See also the previous thread about the 7848 MOD.

This version I made in this Christmas. I had first some problems with the transfer of the power from the motor to the wheels. I first used rubber bands, that made the car very slow as you see on the first video below. Then I updated the car with fixed axles and gears for power transfer. I also got a better turning radius by making some more room for the front wheels to move.

Here is the original set 3221.

Here is some picture of the thing: (click on images to see larger versions)

6583116965_b3c9b65a35_m.jpg 6583136707_4676e9da59_m.jpg 6583130337_73a805d25b_m.jpg 6583257189_0f6d615a9d_m.jpg

And then I made some changes to the power transfer and made it with axles and even made bigger room for front wheels to move:

6584088207_f7d2ef44a9_m.jpg 6584093299_1c254e5f3c_m.jpg 6584090695_49aa4e01a4_m.jpg

More pictures can be found here.

Here is two videos of the thing in action.

<- here with rubber bands as power transfer. Going for full speed.

<- here with axles for power transfer. Not showing full speed.

(sorry for the dark videoes, but I have not found out how to adjust that. I'm using an iPhone to record them.)

This is almost as clever as your TRU truck, though I do like the battery box cable running between the cab and trailer like a real semi-trailer. :wink:

Your TRU is a little more practical for children to used, like in the yellow one they can't fit a minifig in the drivers seat as it's not there ! :laugh:

Brick On Truck On 'F0NIX' ! :grin:

That's very cool, and I really like the effort spent on keeping the truck's exterior looks the same as the stock truck. Do you plan on doing more conversions?

Thanx folks!

That's very cool, and I really like the effort spent on keeping the truck's exterior looks the same as the stock truck. Do you plan on doing more conversions?

Yes, this and the TRU truck was one of the first steps. I am not as happy with this solution as with the TRU truck. But it has to be something like this to fit into a smaller car. The main idea is to have cars actually driving around in a big city layout when we are at a public display. See also my thread about Faller Car. In the end I hope to fit a motor and automated steering into a 4 wide or 6 wide but a lot shorter vehicle than this. Next step is to fit motorized steering and propulsion into a car of the size of the van in the Vestas set.

I have also done some minor modification to this LEGO truck, but that was mainly to get the containers/tanks on the side a bit higher and strengthen the lower frame.

You have set yourself a challenge there 'F0NIX', perhaps two motors direct driving a pair of wheels....one each, and controlling them independently - like to turn reducing the speed of one motor so the other motor driving forces the vehicle to turn.

Good luck. :classic: