Thalion

9V Christmas Train Help

Hey all,

I'm so sorry that I'm using this forum for tech/help/advice concerning a train instead of my own creations, but I'm setting up a Christmas display and I've bumped into a major problem. I've been going to eurobricks for over 7 years looking at news and creations but never registered until now.

My 9 volt Lego Train has 2 and a half carts attached to it and makes a fairly large loop around the tree. After the 2nd or 3rd go around, it simply slows down and then stops. Givin my carts are pretty heavy, but I've checked the tracks and the connectors and everything is working. It works great for the first minute or so, and then it slows down and stops. I've searched online for answers, but can't find any.

Is the "engine" simple broken? It has been a few years now. Is there something wrong with the tracks? It can't be the electricity because the light still fully lights up when it goes to max. I can't figure this out, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks all. Sorry to use up your forum, but I read the guidelines, and asking for help was okay, so here I am. :classic:

If it works out, I'll post some pics so you guys can see it! :sweet:

Edited by Thalion

Hey all,

I'm so sorry that I'm using this forum for tech/help/advice concerning a train instead of my own creations, but I'm setting up a Christmas display and I've bumped into a major problem. I've been going to eurobricks for over 7 years looking at news and creations but never registered until now.

My 9 volt Lego Train has 2 and a half carts attached to it and makes a fairly large loop around the tree. After the 2nd or 3rd go around, it simply slows down and then stops. Givin my carts are pretty heavy, but I've checked the tracks and the connectors and everything is working. It works great for the first minute or so, and then it slows down and stops. I've searched online for answers, but can't find any.

Is the "engine" simple broken? It has been a few years now. Is there something wrong with the tracks? It can't be the electricity because the light still fully lights up when it goes to max. I can't figure this out, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks all. Sorry to use up your forum, but I read the guidelines, and asking for help was okay, so here I am. :classic:

If it works out, I'll post some pics so you guys can see it! :sweet:

It is probably the motor, but if you take the motor out and apply power directly to the wheels with the transformer, does it also stop after a minute or two? You can use the two cords that come out of the transformer to do this.

It is probably the motor, but if you take the motor out and apply power directly to the wheels with the transformer, does it also stop after a minute or two? You can use the two cords that come out of the transformer to do this.

When I take the parts of the train off and just run the wheels on the track it runs fine.

When I add any other weight, it slowly wears out. (Even just the train.) Whenever it dies out, it takes a long time for it to build back up again. When I had the full weight of it on, it would die fairly soon, and then not even run itself until at least 10 more minutes. Do I just need to give it a break for a long while? How much weight do I know is too much?

It sounds like the thermisistor on the motor has died. This is to protect the motor from overload situations. The only way to get at it is to open up the motor. If you remove it, you are on your own rather than lego grounds. I have a large # of motors without them...

James P

It sounds like the thermisistor on the motor has died. This is to protect the motor from overload situations. The only way to get at it is to open up the motor. If you remove it, you are on your own rather than lego grounds. I have a large # of motors without them...

James P

This sounds great! Any tips on how to open it without damaging it, or is there anywhere I can look with guides about this, or is it pretty self-explanatory? (I have a bro who is a computer engineering major.)

Thanks so much!

-Peter

There have been guides up, but basically, cut the tabs off the bottom using a sharp knife (cut towards your chum, not your thumb...), then the bottom pops off, the wheels need to come out. Be careful of the white plastic gears & axles, they have a disturbing habit of getting lost (or mine do...). Then, the thermsistor is located on push on tabs on the motor. All the parts are push/snap together. When you have pried out the thermsistor, you can put the motor back into place, then the wheels & push the case back together. The friction from the tabs will hold it together OK. If small/extremely inquisitive children are going to use the motor, then I would suggest gluing the case back together. I have a 6 year old autistic boy, and none of mine are glued back together...mostly, they come apart due to my faults not his !. (train crashes off bridge tend to dismantle lots of stuff!)

Lego7.jpg

There have been guides up, but basically, cut the tabs off the bottom using a sharp knife (cut towards your chum, not your thumb...), then the bottom pops off, the wheels need to come out. Be careful of the white plastic gears & axles, they have a disturbing habit of getting lost (or mine do...). Then, the thermsistor is located on push on tabs on the motor. All the parts are push/snap together. When you have pried out the thermsistor, you can put the motor back into place, then the wheels & push the case back together. The friction from the tabs will hold it together OK. If small/extremely inquisitive children are going to use the motor, then I would suggest gluing the case back together. I have a 6 year old autistic boy, and none of mine are glued back together...mostly, they come apart due to my faults not his !. (train crashes off bridge tend to dismantle lots of stuff!)

Lego7.jpg

It worked!!! :laugh: You guys are amazing! Thank you so much! You have truly made my family's Christmas merry! (the train goes around the presents and everything.)

I will upload pictures soon!