Sign in to follow this  
mostlytechnic

Reversing a second motor

Quick question - I know to dual-motor a loco you can use the reversing switch to change the second motor. I don't have room for that. Am I correct that the center two wires in the PF cable control the motor, so cutting an extension cable and crossing those two would also reverse the motor? Just thought I'd double-check before I start cutting. Measure twice, cut once and all that :)

I don't have one immediately to hand to test it out, but can't you just turn around the connector at one of the connection points - this will effectively be doing the same thing as crossing your wires over?

Quick question - I know to dual-motor a loco you can use the reversing switch to change the second motor. I don't have room for that. Am I correct that the center two wires in the PF cable control the motor, so cutting an extension cable and crossing those two would also reverse the motor? Just thought I'd double-check before I start cutting. Measure twice, cut once and all that :)

Philo has a nice article on this.....essentially shows that there are 4 wires....two for power and two for control (direction). He has schematics and torn apart connectors shown. It may be easier to take apart the connector plate instead of cutting the cable.

http://www.philohome.com/pf/pf.htm

If you reverse the connections for C1 and C2 in the schematic, between the motor and the IR controller (for the motor you want to reverse the direction of....front motor) it should do the trick.

Edited by Tearloch33

Yes, that's exactly how to do it. When I've got restricted height in a loco so I can't stack PF connectors, I make a 'Y' cable that feeds both motors - one arm has straight-through wiring and the other has the centre pair crossed. Don't forget to insulate the joints so they can't touch each other. :wink:

Edited by Snapshot

Hi Guys I want to add another motor to my maersk. Can anyone direct me to the reversing switch I would need? Does the switch fit in the maersk? Thank you

Hi Guys I want to add another motor to my maersk. Can anyone direct me to the reversing switch I would need? Does the switch fit in the maersk? Thank you

LEGO® Power Functions Control Switch

I'll know if it fits after the weekend when I try to double-up my Maersk Loco on motors.

Edited by kyphur

LEGO® Power Functions Control Switch

I'll know if it fits after the weekend when I try to double-up my Maersk Loco on motors.

Well, it worked for me. I now have two motors in my Maersk train. I must say that you need to remove some excess bricks to fit it though, apart from the normal modification shown in the manual. But you can do it without changing the exterior.

Well, it worked for me. I now have two motors in my Maersk train. I must say that you need to remove some excess bricks to fit it though, apart from the normal modification shown in the manual. But you can do it without changing the exterior.

awesome to hear got any pics of the location you installed it?