Sign in to follow this  
romdam

Power Functions Extension Wire(8886) question

I read about this part somewhere about it being able to use it with 9v to PF. Question is, if I have a 9v train, what else do I need with this? I would still need to use 9v tracks?

I read about this part somewhere about it being able to use it with 9v to PF. Question is, if I have a 9v train, what else do I need with this? I would still need to use 9v tracks?

You can connect the PF receiver to the 9v motor with this wire and no, it won't need additional power from the track as far as I know :)

- Sok.

Battery box + receiver + 8886 cable = no 9v tracks, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use a pf motor given they cost half as much as 9V.

M.

Battery box + receiver + 8886 cable = no 9v tracks, though I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use a pf motor given they cost half as much as 9V.

M.

For shows, and old collectors, etc, are more into 9V systems.

Both system have pros and cons.

Depends which you like =]

For shows, and old collectors, etc, are more into 9V systems.

Both system have pros and cons.

Depends which you like =]

If you're not using 9v rails it doesn't matter much tbh. And the PF motor is more efficient so your batteries will last longer.

- Sok.

If you're not using 9v rails it doesn't matter much tbh. And the PF motor is more efficient so your batteries will last longer.

- Sok.

Actually I haven't really test it out yet...?

Just been back in Lego for some days.

Does 9V motor or PF motor give more power (drag more cars)?

That cable was also used for the RC train motor that LEGO made was a while. That motor (which had a red bar on it) was just like the 9V train motor without the 9V pickups on the wheels. The new PF train motor has taken its place, and comes with a built in wire that make the 8886 wire un needed for PF use. The RC train motor was also inferior compared to the new PF train motor, as it had less power, but drew more current, resulting in shorter battery life.

I have old 9v trains I built from scratch without the track. I figure the new track is cheaper. So, I have an old train like say #4564. Do I have to mod anything? Sorry, I am new to the train tech. I have built many of the older trains but would like to run them.

I have old 9v trains I built from scratch without the track. I figure the new track is cheaper. So, I have an old train like say #4564. Do I have to mod anything? Sorry, I am new to the train tech. I have built many of the older trains but would like to run them.

mattman gave you the answer in the second reply to your OP.

If you have the 9V motors now, go look at the price of the IR receiver ($23) + remote ($13) + battery box ($20) + 8886 cable ($8) before you decide it's going to be cheaper. Corners are about the same for either system, though 9v straights are a bit more. Factor in that you'll have to rebuild your trains to incorporate a battery box and it's just not worth it. You can still in future run PF trains on a 9v track but not the other way around (other than adding all the parts i listed above).

I've used the 8886 before and it works just fine, but that was for powering PF stuff from a 9V train motor rather than the other way around :)

M.