• Outstanding

indexed.gif

10175 Vader�s TIE Advanced Reviewed by Dunamis

Set 10175

1212 Pieces

$99.95 from LEGO shop @ home

Build time 5.0 hours

The Box:

We�re presented with a nice big box although nothing special. As usual, in order to get to the goodies inside you must break the two seals and open the box when you pull out the perforated tabs on the side. My inability to master this seemingly simple task is well documented and hence no further ridicule is needed.

We have had much discussion on boxes (old vs. new), trays, thickness of cardboard and how empty boxes seem to be. I will say that when I first opened this box it seemed really full especially for such a large box. I think part of that impression is that there are a lot of large pieces in this set.

10175-1.jpg

The back of the box shows the model again with some additional technical details typical with the Ultimate Collector Series sets. No alternate models are shown.

10175-2.jpg

Inside the box, the parts are in the two types of standard LEGO packaging; perforated bags and standard sealed bags. There was only one large piece (the rear canopy) free in the box outside of a bag. The bags were not numbered, but upon close observation you can tell that some of the bags are identical (in terms of their contents.) Basically this means you can get by without opening everything at first and manage your pre-build sorting accordingly. Of course, some builders prefer to open everything first and get organized.

10175-3.jpg

ARRGGG!

10175-5.jpg

The Manual:

Another stellar effort by the LEGO manual staff. The manual is well done, nicely laid out and flows along nicely. We have our standard set of manual features:

- Piece call outs for each step

- Parts inventory at the end of the manual

- Good color separation (once you calibrate yourself after the first few steps)

- Page numbers

10175-6.jpg

When I first started building this set, I thought we had gone back to the old days of color problems in manuals. I thought, �oh, great, here is this set with three main colors: black, light gray and dark gray. It�s going to be a nightmare.� Actually, that was not the case and after the first few steps I had calibrated myself to the manual and the pieces in the set and everything was fine. Although, close attention is needed toward the end of the build as the wings are almost all black and it can sometimes be hard to differentiate where to apply the pieces.

LEGO also does a good job in clearly showing the greebling (OK, grammar police is that the correct use of the word greeble?) as in this example when they show you the � and overhead views:

10175-7.jpg

More manual pics:

10175-8.jpg

10175-9.jpg

The Pieces:

Hello bley parts pack! There are a lot of black, light and dark bley pieces in this set. Plus, there are a lot of big pieces, especially plates. Nothing earth-shattering though except we get the return of the gigantic windscreen from the TIE Interceptor 7181:

2598px1.jpg

We do have the usual assortment of Technic pieces that seem to accompany almost every decent sized LEGO set these days. You�ll get your Technic pins, a few axles and beams. As with all the Ultimate Collector Series sets, a good portion of the Technic parts are used in the stand.

Unfortunately, this is my second set where I have noticed a difference in axle quality (the other set was 8285 Technic Tow Truck.) Even though there were relatively few Technic axles in this set, most of them exhibited the issue where there was ABS residue on the part making putting even a single Technic bush on the axle a laborious task. Not a good sign if this keeps up in future sets.

The Build:

Another fun build! The steps were very straightforward and never called for a ton of parts at once. Since the model is symmetrical, there is always the monotony of building components more than once. I felt a little of this toward the end as the four slanted wings are basically all the same. I think that the monotony was mitigated a bit because the pieces were so big (lots of 8 x 8 plates) and you are not faced with fidgeting with a bunch of little 1 x 1 pieces. In the photos below, you can see how the back of the body goes together:

10175-15.jpg

10175-16.jpg

Finally, there is not much left over when you are done:

10175-21.jpg

The Design:

This is a big set and it sits prominently on a desk or shelf. The model looks great across the room and stands up well upon closer examination. In addition, the model is heavy and definitely has some mass to it. It feels solid. Here are a few pictures of it against some other models to give you a sense of scale:

10175-29.jpg

10175-30.jpg

One minor annoyance is that the detail inside the cockpit is hidden even with the top hatch open. You can pull off the front canopy, but you wind up taking off other pieces to do it. It�s really not worth it as (at least for me) when I am showing off a LEGO set the last thing I want to have happen is pieces and part come flying off. Plus, once you get the front canopy off, the view inside is still blocked:

10175-13.jpg

10175-14.jpg

Another nitpick I have is the wing sections (there are six total) are bowed. They will not sit flat on a flat surface. However, this does not seem noticeable once they are attached to each other. We will have to see how this holds up over time and if anyone else notices this.

There is not a huge amount of greebling on the model (unlike the Y-Wing) but I suppose that is a function of the ship itself. From what I know of the ship, the greebling seems appropriate. I thought the view from the rear of the ship was nice:

10175-26.jpg

The cockpit was nicely done. It has a seat (not minifig sized), two printed slope computer displays and a couple of levers. The only moving part on the ship is the upper hatch: There is nothing else to show on the ship so that is kind of a bummer. Perhaps could have had a couple of service hatches to show off more but I digress�

10175-23.jpg

10175-25.jpg

The Stickers:

Rejoice! This is the shortest section in the review for a good reason � only ONE sticker and it is the specifications for the model on the display stand! No wordy rant about stickers, STAMPS and other nonsense. It�s all good!

Overall Thoughts:

A very nice set. As with all Ultimate Collector Series sets there is limited play value as they are designed to sit on a shelf and look nice. If you have the shelf space, this will look great next to the Interceptor, X-wing and Y-wing.

It was a fun build that is very low on the difficulty scale. It is a great way to spend a few evenings. The one reservation I would have is the price. I know the price/piece ratio is in our favor, but I still feel like the set is overpriced. I don�t know how else to explain it. If this set was priced like the AT-ST (at $79 US) I think it would be a steal. $99 US just seems expensive to me.

No doubt I�ve just poured beer on the burning fires of the Europeans. You guys already get hit with higher prices on LEGO and here is this nutty American complaining about how he feels like this set is overpriced.

I don�t know, it will be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks about the set and the relative pricing of it.

To bottom line it for you- If you are into displaying your LEGO models and like the Ultimate Collector Series you won�t be disappointed. If you prefer to get a little more bang for your buck, stay away and get either the 6210 Sail Barge or 6211 ISD.

Of course, a lot of this is subjective so I'd like to hear your thoughts, comments, complaints and feedback on my review and the set. If you have any questions or want and specific photos, let me know and I'll post them for you. Here is the gallery: Dunamis Brickshelf Galery

Final Rating: 80%

Build 10/10 (Very brisk build for the number of pieces. No gotchas.)

Functionality 7/10 (It is designed to sit on a shelf and look nice, which it does well. Could have used a few more things to show off though)

Design 8/10 (Very nicely done.)

Parts 9/10 (If you are looking for large black, light and dark bley pieces, you�ve come to the right place.)

Price 6/10 (The price ratio is good, but I am left feeling like I paid too much.)

Price 6/10 (The price ratio is good, but I am left feeling like I paid too much.)

If Americans say so what will Europeans think...

Naahh, as european afols you forgot that we stopped thiking about lego prices a long time ago X-D

Thanks for the review ! It's really appreciated. You posted a build time of 5 hourse. Was it full time 5 hours ?

Thanks for the review ! It's really appreciated. You posted a build time of 5 hourse. Was it full time 5 hours ?

I built it over two nights. I do stop to take notes for the review but 5 hours is pretty close. I think i'm a slow builder (my pre-build sorting needs improvement) but this build seemed to go pretty quick. I'm in no hurry though...

Naahh, as european afols you forgot that we stopped thiking about lego prices a long time ago X-D

Right... I did forget... could have saved me a lot of aggravation if I had just remembered that I forgot...

Many Tks Dunamis for doing this great review for us ;-)

I really can't wait to get my hands on this baby !! I am soo glad tht they sticked to black/bley and NOT crappy blue + only 1 sticker *sweet* G I can't complain about anything for once :-D

Truly a fantastic UCS set and a must buy on my list ;-)

*yoda*

Thanks for the review. I'll defnitely be getting this. Like yoda, I love the use of grey rather than blue, and the details are great. And only one sticker!

this may actually be the first ucs set i am getting. unfortunately it will never be on sale since it is only carried by the lego stores or S@h. it's not even in tru. will have to see if i end up getting it. i never felt compelled to buy any ucs unlike this one. and your review just strengthened my gut feel. a pretty nice set to sit on the mantlepiece above your fireplace. :-P

Another great review of what looks like a great set that I'm again unable to buy. I prefer minifig sets anyways, since they're more playable, but this seems like a great parts pack.

Your great review has convinced me not to purchase this large set. I don't usually like UCS and this just seems like another set to pass me by. If I ever had the urge to want all those nice parts though, this could just be the purchase I'd make...

Looks cool, but the price leaves me thinking I'd prefer the AT-ST. There seems to be more to it, and I generally prefer that vehicle anyway. What are the measurements on the box?

Looks cool, but the price leaves me thinking I'd prefer the AT-ST. There seems to be more to it, and I generally prefer that vehicle anyway. What are the measurements on the box?

Dimensions as stated on the box:

13 in (33cm) wide

13 in (33cm) long

Thanks for the review. I'll defnitely be getting this. Like yoda, I love the use of grey rather than blue, and the details are great. And only one sticker!

I agree. I think the light and dark bley mix well on this set and look really good. Defintiely better than the blue on the Interceptor.

BTW Dunamis, I have a question for you: does this set has some blue/tan elements that are visible ?

If yes, would you be so kind to upload a pic of those coloured parts from the part inventory of the instructions manual ;-)

Many tks in advance ;-)

*yoda*

BTW Dunamis, I have a question for you: does this set has some blue/tan elements that are visible ?

If yes, would you be so kind to upload a pic of those coloured parts from the part inventory of the instructions manual ;-)

Many tks in advance ;-)

*yoda*

No problem. However, there are no blue or tan elements in the set at all. The only colors in the set (according to the part inventory) are:

Red

Black

Light bley

Dark bley

Many tks Dunamis :-)

I have a tendency to get rid of tan and blue parts in nearly all my OT sets !! I was asking because the UCS AT-ST does have some bloody tan parts ;-)

So no need to take any pics Dunamis !! Tks again ;-)

*yoda*

Here are a couple of shots to show you scale. I wish I had my X-wing and TIE Interceptor built, but I don't right now.

10175-40.jpg

10175-41.jpg

(yes, I don't always put the stickers on my sets...)

is it possible to view the new UCS tie near the old one, please ?

That would be ideal. Unfortunately, neither my UCS TIE Interceptor or X-Wing are built right now or I would.

I'll probably put the TIE Interceptor together in the next couple of weeks. But first I have to finish my review of the Mindstorms NXT (that Gylman has been very patiently waiting for...) :-D

And thanks for the pics I asked for dunamis.
Many tks once more dunamis for these great additional pics ;-)

Its great to have size comparison pics !!

You are welcome!