AussieJimbo

MOC: Small scale train and layout

OK, here's the video:

Cheers to everyone for the ideas and encouragement that helped make this possible. Paticular thanks to Space2310 for his excellent narrow gauge truck mechanism, which was pointed out by roamingstudio.

Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

:classic: :classic:

Very cool Aussie Jimbo.

Not to take this discussion thread too far into the tangeant, but I was watching Thomas the Train, and I saw they did a story on

narrow-guage trains. If you were looking for inspiration, they have a whole cast of "characters". Also, it was interesting to

see how much the regular guage trains treated the narrow-guage engines... with contempt and hostility...

:blush:

It's adorable :)

Thanks, Sokratesz.

It's nice to be able to run a LEGO train in such a small space.

Very cool Aussie Jimbo.

Not to take this discussion thread too far into the tangeant, but I was watching Thomas the Train, and I saw they did a story on

narrow-guage trains. If you were looking for inspiration, they have a whole cast of "characters". Also, it was interesting to

see how much the regular guage trains treated the narrow-guage engines... with contempt and hostility...

:blush:

Cheers, medib. Glad you like it.

I think some of the engines are kind to their narrow gauge cousins.

I've got more work to do on detailing and I still have some questions in my mind about what overall scale I'm going for. The caboose is a bit out of scale and the little microfigs as passengers for the moment are a touch on the small side too.

Kid-figs might be closer but I'm wondering if I should instead treat it like the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway in England which is half scale but designed for normal sized people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romney,_Hythe_and_Dymchurch_Railway

Down the track I'll have a go at a full size narrow gauge train.

Down the track I'll have a go at a full size narrow gauge train.

I think this is the way to go, build to fit minifigs but just narrower gauge, for example a sugar cane train or a mining train. Part of the coolness of your train is it could be combined with 6 wide lego trains.

Excellent work :thumbup: - I thought of building something similar, too. If not the tracks were so f***** expensive! :hmpf_bad:

You should definitely build some straight track though.

But there are no black straights...

That's awesome, I'm really impressed. TLG hasn't made any small straight tracks, unfortunately, so the "bone" shape is about as good as you can do. Very impressive... I know the colors would be of, but some ME tracks would probably work for straights; the conductivity wouldn't be an issue because you don't need it, and the rails are separate pieces, but with the normal shaped connectors.

ME Rails

It's very inspiring, AussieJimbo... excellent work.

EDIT: After watching again, I'm wondering if there's in IR receiver in the running version. The first few images show one, but I don't see how you could fit it into what was running (all black tender). With or without, I'm still really impressed.

Edited by fred67

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

EDIT: After watching again, I'm wondering if there's in IR receiver in the running version. The first few images show one, but I don't see how you could fit it into what was running (all black tender). With or without, I'm still really impressed.

Yes, fully remote controlled. The IR receiver is hidden in the tender.

Nice work, AussieJimbo!

If you're thinking about making Minifig-scale NG trains, one good place to go for inspiration would be the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway, if you're looking for something in the British 2-foot gauge area that is...

If you're looking to do something American, there's the East Broad Top Railroad (which happens to be close by where I live, and I'm planning on doing their 55-ton diesel in LEGO sometime in the fairly near future), the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad and Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (both of which are in Colorado/New Mexico). These three are all 3-foot gauge.

I hope that provides some inspiration for you. ;)

That's great work. I've been working on the same thing since June, but my motor design is a little different. Yours seems to run much better than mine so far. :thumbup:

Cheers, HT.

Thanks for posting those narrow gauge links, very useful.

That's great work. I've been working on the same thing since June, but my motor design is a little different. Yours seems to run much better than mine so far. :thumbup:

Thanks, darkdragon.

The two most important things that made it work were Space2310's narrow gauge truck design...

Enoden 1000

... and the train weight built into the front of the boiler.

Without the weight the traction is inadequate and you get a lot of wheel spin. I was lucky to enough to have a single one in my collection (from the City Tower Crane set for a few years back). If you don't have one you could probably get by with making space for some lead sinkers.

Weight of some kind is critical as the loco has quite a heavy load to pull given the towed battery box. The rechargeable version is a bit lighter if you have one, I had to make it work with the AAA box.

I'm also using the latest clear-banded drive wheels and the mini wheels have had a shot of silicon lubricant. How big a difference these points make is unclear. I might test with other version of the drive wheels but I don't have any mini-wheel sets left to test in their original state. (need a couple more level crossings and one of those parts packs of wheels and axles)

I look forward to seeing your train when you've ironed out the kinks.

Edited by AussieJimbo

I look forward to seeing your train when you've ironed out the kinks.

Wow, thanks for all the great info. My design actually uses the micro motor. I know what you talk about with weights, learned that one in my first prototype tests. To be honest, seeing your execution of this train has really taken the wind out of my sails because it is so much better than my idea and I was really hoping to be first with a powered mini train. I really am a total noob when it comes to LEGO motors and gears though, so it's no wonder I couldn't pull it off.

I still might post a video of my idea but it won't garner much attention. LOL

Don't be discouraged, darkdragon.

This took several failed attempts before I produced a working model, thanks to the suggestions and encouragement of others.

I've been working on my small scale railway over the last few days.

Here is the updated train with new coaches and power wagon.

small.scale.railway.v5.1 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

small.scale.railway.v5.2 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

small.scale.railway.v5.3 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

small.scale.railway.v5.4 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

small.scale.railway.v5.5 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

small.scale.railway.v5.6 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

small.scale.railway.v5.7 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

small.scale.railway.v5.8 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

small.scale.railway.v5.9 (Mobile).jpg

Larger

As you can see I've MOD'ed the battery box to remove the AAA battery holder part so I can fit in a 9V battery instead of AAA's. The 9V non Lego connector is soldered to the Lego feed wires which had to be unsoldered from the AAA battery terminals.

This has reduced the weight from 115 grams when loaded with AAA's to about 70 grams with a 9V battery which is a significant improvement. (A Lego rechargable battery box is supposedly 82 grams by comparison)

A less interventionist approach is shown below where the negative from the connector is just attached to the correct spring terminal (top one, hidden side of photo) and the positive is held in place with a little lego "battery". You hide the 9V battery in the next carriage.

One of the other things I tried was to build some narrow gauge straight track by sticking regular straights side by side and then concealing the extra rails. Despite appearances this ended up being unsuccessful. It looks fine but the track binds on the carriages.

On closer inspection the gauge you achieve with this method is 20mm but the regular black track has a gauge of 22mm. This is enough to make the train run on the flanges instead of the wheels, greatly increasing friction and the train won't move. So apart from use for display, this is not a workable track solution.

However the train does run on my loopy test track. Fine with a single carriage and the power wagon, OK with the second carriage but a bit wheel-slippy. What I really need is an easier track with less curves. Might have to get some of those ME rails and see how they go.

Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

Edited by AussieJimbo

Wow, so cute !

Reminiscent of blue era trains due to the enforced simplicity of narrow gauge and the battery wagon. You managed to get so much detail in there - great work!

Have you tried on grey or blue era track? I guess what you saying is that would make it run on the flanges also, slowing it down.

The ME rails are the same depth as grey/blue track but are a lot smoother (no ridges or rough bits) so that's the probably the thing to try.

BnB

Cheers, bnb, glad you like it.

I've just checked a short section made with the straight rail pieces from the red cargo train set and got 22mm gauge so early era rails and ME rails should work fine. I'm actually quite surprised that the other method didn't work out.

Cheers, bnb, glad you like it.

I've just checked a short section made with the straight rail pieces from the red cargo train set and got 22mm gauge so early era rails and ME rails should work fine. I'm actually quite surprised that the other method didn't work out.

Your other option is a brick built rail, like this:

straightnnarrow.png

I found that at least in LDD, the rail edges lined up perfectly, as did the heights :classic: Colouring is just so you can identify parts and the position they are in :classic: