Sign in to follow this  
Shadows

EB News Presents: Rick!

Hello and welcome to another exciting episode of EB News Presents! I'm your host, Shadows, this is my own personal Wheatley, Stauder, and our special guest tonight is none other than Rick!

image0134.jpg

Tonight's episode comes to you from inside our lovely yellow whatever the hell this is.

It's a sub, you can tell by the portals.

Port holes.

It was a Wheatley joke.

Indeed it was. Moron. :hmpf:

Oh shut up, fatty fat fat, adopted fatty. :tongue:

Don't push your luck or I'll shoot you out the torpedo launchers. :angry:

Right! Interview time!

image0138.jpg

Q. Rick. Very... Original name, do I even have to ask why you chose it?

A. No. :tongue:

You may be overestimating his intelligence.

Q. I see you're a Fellow, and a Fabuland builder, from what I can tell, tell us a bit about what you do round here?

A. Well, I do lots around here. :look: ... Actually, I don't do that much at all. I'm not a big MOCer. In fact I rarely do MOCs at all. :blush: I've been meaning to build something in Fabuland for quite a while though, however my main interest has always been Town. Coming back from my dark ages in the late 1990s/early 2000s was a big disappointment with 'Town Jr.' on the shelves. So when LEGO introduced the Modular Buildings a few years ago, I knew it was a good time to be an AFOL. They really seem to be taking the AFOL community seriously as a market now with all the brilliant Exclusives that are being released.

Next to just browsing the forums and commenting here and there, I'm a big EB mafia game addict ever since playing my first game in early 2010. We have some excellent mafia hosts around here and it's a great way to get to know the EB community better and from a totally different angle. If you're lucky you even get to kill some people. :devil:

Mafia? Never heard of it.

Q. What's the fun in such an odd theme such as Fabuland? Is it the abstract nature of it all?

A. It's all fun. It's cute and innocent. Well mostly innocent. What is there not to love about a bunch of animals walking on two feet? OK, I understand that may sound a little creepy to some, but still... they're cute! Cuuuuuuuuuuute! :wub:

Q. How were you introduced to the theme anyway, can you tell us anything about it's history?

A. I owned a few small sets as a child, but was never really interested again until I started lurking on Eurobricks and finally joined in early 2009. Only then did I figure out that the raccoon I owned as a child was actually called Ricky Raccoon. It was an easy choice to adopt him as my Fabuland sigfig. I also found a small (but influential) group of people keeping Fabuland alive right here on EB. A large part of Hinckley's website is devoted to Fabuland MOCs and stories, for example. Hinckley and Sir Nadroj were the real pioneers in creating Fabuland MOCs and I'm glad to see some increased activity in the Fabuland Builders Guild recently.

Q. What are your 3 favorite sets of all time?

A. I have to agree with the previous interviewee (Erdy) and mention 10185 Green Grocer as one of my all time favourites. All of Jamie Berard's Modular Buildings are brilliant, but this still is the best in my opinion. The other two spaces in my top 3 would also probably be filled with Modular Buildings, but let's keep some variation. For nostalgia's sake I have to say 6382 Fire Station. It was one of the few 'big sets' I owned as a child and I simply loved the roller doors. Right before entering my dark ages, I picked up a few first wave Pirates sets. Whereas the 6285 Black Seas Barracuda is a magnificent ship, the very first wave also included the wonderful 6276 Eldorado Fortress, which is still one of my favorite Pirates sets and one of the few sets to actually make good use of that raised baseplate.

Q. Tell us about the amazingly-fantastic-moment of time that ever occurred. (in relation to LEGO)

A. That must have been around the first of July 1890. I'm sure Ole Kirk's parents enjoyed conceiving him. :grin: It was a long road however until, in 1978, the first minifigure as we still know it today was produced (and I was born just in time to witness it :wink: ). I really think that has been a turning point for TLG. Another big step was the introduction of AFOL-oriented exclusives. I remember my jaw dropping when I saw the first pictures of the Cafe Corner.

Q. Does such a moment exist here on EB?

A. I experienced plenty of great moments on Eurobricks. Becoming a member of the Fellowship was a great honour. Despite the ever-growing number of members, I'm always amazed that EB manages to maintain a really friendly community spirit. And - in addition to the members themselves of course - the excellent staff team is to thank for that.

Q. This is a frequently discussed question, and I'd like the viewers to comment on this aswell; How do you store your lego? Small sorted boxes? Shelves? Huge box?

A. As I said, I'm not really a MOCer, I mainly collect sets and tend to store them separately in bags or boxes. My not so big, but continuously growing supply of 'MOC bricks' is in small plastic containers and some zip-lock bags, sorted by type and colour.

That's how we store Staudie between interviews, which can sometimes be a very, very long time.

Q. I've been gone a while, as you probably know... My chauffeur took a wrong turn somewhere.

You mean the guy driving the baggage truck at the airport took a wrong turn. It's cheaper to ship him in a crate.

You said we'd cover that up! :oh3:

Not in the budget. :pir-grin:

... So what'd I miss?

A. I joined EB, became extremely popular, and they had to make me a Fellow. That's it in a nutshell. You didn't miss much. :grin: Oh, and Svelte is no longer around. :cry_sad: And I'm sure there are others that left and probably some new members joined as well.

It's true, we had to make him a fellow because previously he was a lady. With lady parts. So much Paradisa Pink... *huh*

Q. Am I annoying?

A. Yes Shadows, you are annoying. What!? *huh* You're not Shadows? ... Stauder? Am I supposed to know you? Sounds like German for toaster or something. :wacko:

Actually, he is composed of 42% toaster parts and was Frankensteined together, so that's fairly accurate.

Q. Why do you think EB News won't stay dead?

A. Because I will suggest someone you have to interview next. Oh, you didn't ask that question yet, I'm sorry. :blush:

Good thing these interviews haven't gotten predictable, yet.

Q. Who should we put in the hot seat next time?

A. You might want to interview Pandora. She's even crazier about Fabuland than I am. And I personally think she's one of the best set reviewers on the site. And then there's a guy named Rufus, he's somehow related. He also does amazing reviews (although he does do a lot of Star Wars :hmpf_bad: ) and is moderator of the recently completely revamped 'Special Themes' forum.

Q. Final question; It's underwater month at EB, this episode was filmed in our underwater lair, are you going to do anything to add to the theme? Maybe a submarine MOC?

A. I'm surprised you didn't make the long, hard, and full of seamen joke... :hmpf: You have to fix a few leaks though, my feet are soaking wet. To be honest, underwater themes don't really appeal to me. I'll see what I can do though. :innocent:

That isn't water.

image0135.jpg

So there you have it, folks, the fascinating story of Rick! Whoever that is. Can we go now, it's getting stuffy in here?

Wait! We forgot something!

What's that?

I forgot.

You're just lucky I don't hit you with a paradox.

Why would we need two, isn't one dock enough?

Right, and people ask, "Shadows, why has it been so long since we've seen one of those amazing episodes of EB News?" This is why. :hmpf:

I remember now!

Amazing. What is it?

Rick was kind enough to provide us with a video of him in action!

Really? Well, let's see it!

I'm sure nobody saw that coming. :laugh:

You don't want to hear it..but you should try and grab a set or two from the Oxford Movie/broadcasting line. They have some nice cameras and stuff that would be useful for this.

Specifically this guy:

MC2000-5.jpg

You could swap the head out.

TPB15000.jpg

I could probably get you an instruction scan of this if you want to do a show on the road.

Another EB News episode, let's run away oh so good!

It was interesting to know (and see? :wacko: ) more about our Fellow Rick, so thanks to Shadows and Stauder for the interview and to Rick for taking the time to answer the questions.

It's great to see another episode of EB News, hope they will continue on a regular basis :sweet:.

You don't want to hear it..but you should try and grab a set or two from the Oxford Movie/broadcasting line. They have some nice cameras and stuff that would be useful for this.

>snip<

Theres always the Lego Studios Line. :sceptic:

Another good edition and this time it was posted timely as opposed to a year later :tongue:

It's fun to learn about the most popular EB members.

Another good edition and this time it was posted timely as opposed to a year later :tongue:

I think we meant to do it last year. :blush:

Somewhere I have a few interviews we never got around to and now the people we interviewed are gone. Good thing we didn't waste our time on those, huh? :laugh:

Theres always the Lego Studios Line. :sceptic:

Ah..they had that when I wasn't buying Lego, so I didn't know they'd gone and made one. Glad they got it covered already then ;)

Wait, EB news? What's that? Yes I've been lurking long enough to know what EB news is. :tongue:

A. I joined EB, became extremely popular, and they had to make me a Fellow. That's it in a nutshell.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what happened. :look:

:tongue:

Even though I wasn't around when the old EB News' were made, I suddenly feel all nostalgic. :classic:

Very entertaining, feel free to interview me sometime. :laugh:

Man, how long's it been since we've seen an EB News Presents?

No seriously, I haven't been in Community for a while. How long? :tongue: It was awesome seeing another episode though, good to see Shadows and Wheatley back in action. :laugh:

I missed this somehow. Great work once again, EB news staff. Hilarious, as always. :laugh:

Somewhere I have a few interviews we never got around to and now the people we interviewed are gone.

The Hobbes interview is still by far my favourite that never made it on air. Also where are the two interns what are meant to pretend EB News isn't dead yet and produce new stuff while I do heretical things?

Stauder

Hmm...don't know how I missed this nugget of comedic gold. Thanks for bumping it. Much like the SW staff interviews, I enjoy reading about senior members around here. They're informative and entertaining.

I must have missed this interview when it was released.

Informative and funny, great entertainment for a Friday evening :thumbup:

Does Stauder know the image in his sig has a huge typo?

I guess it's supposed to read 'peasants' or maybe 'pies sent'? :look: If it's the latter, I didn't get my pie. :cry_sad:

Took 4 years for someone to pick up on that... It was once meant to read "Presents" but then a letter fell off, and we lack the budget to stick it back on.

Stauder