crossmr

Kazi Race Car

Set name: Instruction seat says No. 632

Price: 3000W ($2.54 USD)

Pieces: 82

construction time: 15 minutes

Awhile back I posted a review of a set I picked up at the local Daiso. It's a dollar store style shop from Japan. Previously they'd carried Ligao blocks under their branding. They've now moved on to carry Kazi brand bricks under their branding. I checked several times before picking it up, because that Ligao set was rather traumatic.

Box

imgp2480n.jpg

The box has the dreaded "Contents may vary" warning on it. After the Ligao set, it's always made me wary. You'll note that it shows 2 models. There is a red model as well that is slightly different.

Instruction Book

This is a bit different. The set is built in several pieces then assembled at various stages. It's easy enough to follow

scan0002qt.jpg

Pieces

Bit of a smell. Not like the Ligao set. The Ligao set smelled awful. It was terrible and finally after about a year you can't smell it anymore. This one smells strong, but the smell is sweet. It's like someone fired off a can of air freshener into the box before shipping it. Here is where you notice a small difference. The chrome pieces on the box are actually just grey pieces on the set itself. Kind of disappointing. The rest of the pieces are okay. Clutch is good. The plastic is a little cheap, but solid. The steering wheel comes as two pieces and doesn't go together well. It doesn't exactly fall apart, but it feels loose. The rest is okay. Wheels are nice, as are the coloured dome lights. The plastic is not as good as Oxford's but it is much better than Sluban or Ligao. Probably on par with Enlighten. A couple pieces had flashing left on them, I took it off with an exacto knife. The only extra piece was an extra white hand.

imgp2481z.jpg

imgp2482o.jpg

Construction

Went fairly smooth. No major issues, one of the curved pieces that make up the seat back was a bit tough to seat.

imgp2483p.jpg

imgp2484.jpg

imgp2485v.jpg

Design

not terrible. It looks like a race car. The stickers really help establish that. The sticker quality is actually pretty good. I'm not a big fan of the spoiler. It is held on simply by 2 studs and is not that strong. The rest of the car though is very solid and survives a 12 inch drop, but not a 36 inch drop (it bounced after the 12 inch and off the desk it went). I think it's original and not a rip-off, but I can't be sure. I did a google image search for lego race car and lego yellow race car and didn't come up with anything that remotely looked like this.

Playability

It's a race car. Having a race? Fits well. Fighting a space battle? Not so much..but it rolls well. The wheels are balanced and not wobbly.

Mini-figure

After the abomination that was the Ligao mini-figure, I was very worried about this. Over-all, he's much better. The Ligao mini-figure was basically falling apart. In fact he often falls apart now. If you bump him, a stiff breeze comes in, or even if you just think about him..oh look there he goes. This guy is solid. Too solid. His arms and legs are very stiff. it's good though. I'd rather be too stiff than too loose. His hands are good. Much better than Sluban hands. He can hold weapons well and pose. He does however possess kung-fu grip legs. if you attach a block to his feet or back of his legs in a sitting position, good luck getting him off. You can do it, but you'll need tiny little Lego jaws of life. The face and helmet are printed, but the body is a sticker.

imgp2491q.jpg

Conclusion

Well the model overall is not bad. It feels solid, rolls well, and aside from a loose spoiler, it's a decent looking race car. It smells funky and hopefully that'll pass. The brick quality is just good enough that I don't want to fire it out of a cannon, but not great enough that I'd tell anyone to run out and get one.

imgp2486i.jpg

imgp2487e.jpg

imgp2489s.jpg

imgp2490.jpg

Mini-figure - 5/10 He's solid, but too stiff. A printed torso would have been better.

Parts - 5/10 Good wheels, good clutch, but smell and lightness hold them back. Color seems slightly off yellow

Playability - 7/10 rolls well, but it's a race car, he has a very limited role

Design - 6/10 Not a bad car, spoiler really holds it back, limited piece count makes it look very blocky.

Price - 6/10 It's an impulse set, for $2.54 you can throw it out if you're not happy with it, but still, I'd expect something that doesn't have this kind of smell on it.

Overall - 29/50 Would I recommend it? Not as a must have, but if it was driving around my city or race track it'd probably be okay. The stickers really bring it out and if you want it just for the stickers, that's a good choice too.

Edited by crossmr

Nice review, I find it funny how large the car is in comparison to the driver.

Nice review, I find it funny how large the car is in comparison to the driver.

Yes, it seems a little out of proportion. There are some interesting pieces though. It's got some of those 90 degree pieces for putting the slopes and steps on the sides, add the wheels, the little domes, and those curved pieces, and it's got some potential to be useful for MOCing. Next morning smell is down a bit. However, the two stickers on the front slopes of the car are strange. After several hours they just detach. You can see them curve up in the middle. They seemed to be very sticky when I put them on. They haven't fallen off, and you can push them back down and they'll stay for awhile. All the other stickers are solid and haven't moved.

While I put Oxford only slightly behind Lego in terms of quality (though they are getting very close by improving their mini-figures). I would say that Kazi and Englighten are a full level below Oxford. But, they are at least a full level above the likes of Sluban/Ligao.

Excellent review 'crossmr', an out-of-portion racer....ah, well it's not too bad a design but the Shell logo...hmm....not sure if that is right to be there or not ? :look:

Keep on reviewing 'crossmr' ! :grin:

I should mention that the Korean on the box refers to it as an "off-road racer". That might explain the bulky size.

Actually I was guess that in a way judging by the size of those tyres and it being picture in the box art racing on a beach. :wink: