Sign in to follow this  
reload

Star Wars Mosaic

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hi Guys N Gals.

I am not much of a Star Wars person, but I recently completed a cool Star Wars project which I thought you all may like.

110,00 Brick Copy of the new Star Wars Blu-Ray Box set cover.

Was a lot of fun and had a heap of helpers. Thanks MUGs and SYDlug!

It was unveiled at the launch party in the Pitt St Mall in Sydney.

6146532678_6bddc3ee4b_z.jpg

6146531308_d1f6bf21ef_z.jpg

6145981221_b7515b3389_z.jpg

6145982067_194e364187_z.jpg

That's really amazing :thumbup: but some of your helpers look a bit dodgy. :laugh:

But seriously how do you go about creating something this size? I notice the pixelated print of Ben Kenobi's face - do you create an image as a template where each pixel represents a brick or maybe project an image onto your base-boards and 'trace' the image in bricks?

This is absolutely a fantastic work, thanks for sharing this with us! :thumbup: I love the overall cool blue vibe of this mosaic, and I'm curious to know how long did it take to design and finish this masterpiece?

Pretty cool. But why only the Blu Ray Original Trilogy (OT)? Why not replicate the Complete Saga BD cover?

Just curious.

A lot of people don't like the PT and/or Jake Lloyd.

Very nice work. I always enjoy seeing well-built mosaics - probably because I'm so awful at it myself. :laugh:

A lot of people don't like the PT and/or Jake Lloyd.

Yup. Hurray for OT-only MOC! :sweet::wink:

The full box set cover sadly would turn out to be nothing short of an abomination in LEGO, so a more colourful substitute was found :)

All up its about 100 man hours to build, with another 20-30 in pre production and messing around in photoshop etc.

Design was done in conjunction with Steve Gerling, and many hands made it happen; MUGs and SYDlug even the good wife helped me out, which was a first!

Basically one pixel is a brick and work that way, I think there is a tutorial here on EB on how to make a mosaic using photoshop.

The Mosaic is now in the front offices of Twentieth Century Fox Studios in Sydney.

There's special software available to design these mosaics.

Some of you may be aware of the huge SW mosaic which was a collaboration between publisher DK and LEGO built in the East End of London earlier this year. It beat the world record for the largest LEGO mosaic ever built, and you can see a time-lapse video of its construction below :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_pKPpqS9nI

D.