Sign in to follow this  
1980-Something-Space-Guy

Which monorail sets do you own and which do you want?

I've noted similar topics about areas. However, I believe monorails deserve their own topic.

I know some people here own an impressive collection of monorails, so that's why I'm starting this thread.

As for me, I own one 6990 and one 6991, none of them sealed. I would like to own a 6399 and wouldn't mind having some expansion tracks, but these all seem too expensive at the moment, considering how much I really want them and have available.

Which monorail sets do you own : none

Whick monorail do you want: none

I build my own :D

I own none and I want none. I really don't see what the big fuss about monorail is every time.

I have 6399, minus the motor cover. It doesn't bug me, I just can't justify the $30 or so bucks for one right now.

I think I have a pretty much complete 6399, but I don't care much about monorail sets, I have a decent amount of monorail parts (some motors, bogeys, bases and quite a bit of track) and I want more, but the sets are to me pointless. Monorail is expensive enough as it is if I'm not to pay more just for useless extra parts. :laugh:

While I like the looks of them I never had any and (probably because of that) don't feel the need to get one, they are really expensive and the options for track layouts and carriage design seem limited to me.

- Sok.

I think I have a pretty much complete 6399, but I don't care much about monorail sets, I have a decent amount of monorail parts (some motors, bogeys, bases and quite a bit of track) and I want more, but the sets are to me pointless. Monorail is expensive enough as it is if I'm not to pay more just for useless extra parts. :laugh:

Useless extra parts? You could say that about almost any set. We all know sets are more than the sum of their parts, but if what you mean is that your main purpose is getting parts to use in MOCs, I get your point.

I am a proud owner of a 6921 expansion set, plus a few extra rails such as switches and ramps. Also have a type 2 motor and a pair of chassis' to go with it.

I am also working on a brick-built monorail, such as F0nix', which initally was similar, but have recently moved on to two studs wide rail for improved stability.

I have 6990 x2, 6991 x2 (one incomplete), and 6399 x1 plus several rails and bogies

I would like to have that unreleased underwater themed monorail set, an unreleased monorail 4 way switch, and unreleased "Y" shaped switch

I have 6990 x2, 6991 x2 (one incomplete), and 6399 x1 plus several rails and bogies

I would like to have that unreleased underwater themed monorail set, an unreleased monorail 4 way switch, and unreleased "Y" shaped switch

That's a nice collection. :classic:

I had never heard of those unreleased monorail pieces. Where did you hear about them?

I have 1 6399 (marginally complete) and 1 (MISB) 6321 Monorail expansion set.

I really wanted to get the monorail when I was a kid, but my parents could not afford it, so as an adult it cost much more

to get it off ebay. :sad:

I really enjoy monorails and I think they are "worth all the hype".

I would like another 6399, and maybe one of the space monorails, put these are much further down in my wishlist.

Ben

That's a nice collection. :classic:

I had never heard of those unreleased monorail pieces. Where did you hear about them?

Google search can turn up interesting finds if you just happened to phrase the words correctly. I wasn't looking for the unreleased parts but looking for creative MOCs and by accident I found out about Seatron themed monorail set. Underwater themed set: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Seatron_Monorail and don't say it is a MOC as you can't get that quarter dome in trans-red at all. Part of the track are blue but those could easily be painted.

Patents for the unreleased Monorail track and parts: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5087001.pdf I found it by accident long ago. The patent has long expired but no one wants to invest in making mold and make replica parts. The switch that are released are prone to failure from wear and from dirt build up. The replica switch (plus the unreleased switches) would be for playing with while the genuine official switches that are working fine can be kept in boxes for future generations.

Patents for the unreleased Monorail track and parts: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5087001.pdf I found it by accident long ago. The patent has long expired but no one wants to invest in making mold and make replica parts. The switch that are released are prone to failure from wear and from dirt build up. The replica switch (plus the unreleased switches) would be for playing with while the genuine official switches that are working fine can be kept in boxes for future generations.

:oh: That's a great find!!! Thanks!

I don't really understand why they designed an alternate switch piece. Seems to have the same shape, only a more complex design. It is more space efficient, though.

It's great to see these parts, and I regret that they never got to be in sets. Who knows what were Lego's future plans for the monorail. :cry_sad: A set using that cross piece would probably have a huge track.

:oh: That's a great find!!! Thanks!

I don't really understand why they designed an alternate switch piece. Seems to have the same shape, only a more complex design. It is more space efficient, though.

It's great to see these parts, and I regret that they never got to be in sets. Who knows what were Lego's future plans for the monorail. :cry_sad: A set using that cross piece would probably have a huge track.

As I understand, it is "never will be released." Monorail wasn't selling well at all and LEGO supposedly lost the mold for some of the monorail specific pieces so there won't be any more future monorail stuff. Since making new mold is expensive, LEGO was burned by poor sales in the past so they aren't going to remake mold at all.

As I understand, it is "never will be released." Monorail wasn't selling well at all and LEGO supposedly lost the mold for some of the monorail specific pieces so there won't be any more future monorail stuff. Since making new mold is expensive, LEGO was burned by poor sales in the past so they aren't going to remake mold at all.

That's why I said, who knows what was on their plans for the future? We'll never know. The most we've known about is Seatron.

Although, to tell you the truth, as much as I love the monorails, I don't wish for Lego to re-release them. I would rather have them release a more realistic monorail system, closer to the way in which they look in real life.

I own none of the monorails but I really want #6399

I love monorails. I saw it posted on ebay for over $2,000 lol. Guess I wont be getting that any time soon lol.

Just saw an original sticker sheet of 6399 offered for 130€ on ebay. *huh*

Anyway, I don't own any, but there might be space for a short track in my planned city, so maybe I'll get some parts or one of the sets (and MOC the outer part of the train anyway) when the price is right not too wrong... or I just build my own probably unpowered system. :classic: