Im considering looking for one of these sets(8275 bulldozer) even tho its a few years old id still like one new if possible,

What do people think of this set and what price would i expect to pay for a new one?it looks like its very powerfull too!

Yes iv seen the review but just want to see what others think!

Thanks in advance.

David

In Holland I can get one with box (built only once) for around 140 euro's.

http://link.marktplaats.nl/471012344

Maybe he will ship to Ireland

I would try to get a decent second hand and pay around 150 euro tops. It's a very nice set, but with a lot of studded parts (either you like 'em or not).

Edited by Gekke Ted

@ davidmull: I meant the first one on that list. However, you can find fine used 8275 on this Bricklink list for less money. The set originally sold for US$150, so it's doubtful that you will find one for sale less than that (unless it's missing parts).

@ davidmull: I meant the first one on that list. However, you can find fine used 8275 on this Bricklink list for less money. The set originally sold for US$150, so it's doubtful that you will find one for sale less than that (unless it's missing parts).

That's not entirely true. At least not in The Netherlands. Lots of sets are sold second hand in great condition for around the purchase price. A friend of mine (Koppejan) has bought some sets in mint condition (built once).

I paid £90-£100 when i got it from my local toy shop( it was the only one thay had and just got in in the day before :grin:) yes we do have one up here :laugh:,the dozer is a good model the blade needs a small tweak if you need it to go higher,myis long since been broken up for parts.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

That's not entirely true. At least not in The Netherlands. Lots of sets are sold second hand in great condition for around the purchase price. A friend of mine (Koppejan) has bought some sets in mint condition (built once).

U just disagreed with a technic technician lol luder knows his stuff :classic:

Hopefully not thread-jacking, but I've been going back and forth about this set recently myself. It's obviously a good set, but just how good is it, really? Where would you all put it for overall quality compared to other big sets like 8070 Supercar, 8258 Crane Truck, 8265 Front Loader, 8043 Motorized Excavator, and 8421 Mobile Crane? If 8275 were available now, I'd certainly buy it for $150. But while I've paid inflated prices for sought-after sets before, I don't do it all the time. Is this set really an epic Technic building experience or is it just big and tough-looking? It seems like a bulldozer isn't quite as interesting a subject as an excavator or a crane.

Anybody want to push me in one direction or another? Also, if it helps, I don't consider myself a Technic collector that needs to have one of everything - I tend to only buy bigger Technic sets that have really interesting builds and an occasional small one for my kids to play with. I also don't MOC with Technic at all. Just not my cup of tea...

Hopefully not thread-jacking, but I've been going back and forth about this set recently myself. It's obviously a good set, but just how good is it, really? Where would you all put it for overall quality compared to other big sets like 8070 Supercar, 8258 Crane Truck, 8265 Front Loader, 8043 Motorized Excavator, and 8421 Mobile Crane? If 8275 were available now, I'd certainly buy it for $150. But while I've paid inflated prices for sought-after sets before, I don't do it all the time. Is this set really an epic Technic building experience or is it just big and tough-looking? It seems like a bulldozer isn't quite as interesting a subject as an excavator or a crane.

Anybody want to push me in one direction or another? Also, if it helps, I don't consider myself a Technic collector that needs to have one of everything - I tend to only buy bigger Technic sets that have really interesting builds and an occasional small one for my kids to play with. I also don't MOC with Technic at all. Just not my cup of tea...

This is like the 8880 supercar, it was revolutionary for the time but we are spoiled by todays standards *looks to the unimog* and these sets are now "antiquated" it doesn't mean its not a superb set it just can't keep up with the new waves of lego technic coming out

However DLuder is not a Dutchman now, is he? default_laugh_new.gif

On technic things, I wouldn't dare to disagree :wink:

On topic: the Bulldozer is a great set. If you have the chance, buy it!!

(I personally think it looks and works better than the Unimog for example)

Just look at it

8275-1.jpg

Edited by Gekke Ted

The Power functions make the set in 8275's case. It's remote controlled, so that is very cool. But the mechanisms are certainly simpler than those in some more recent sets like 8265. Don't expect intricate gear systems. But yes, it's sturdy looking and remote controlled. It's up to you to decide whether that is what you want or not.

Edit: you can download the building instructions on http://us.service.lego.com/en-US/BuildingInstructions/default.aspx to learn more :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

It was my first set after dark ages (and the one I paid most for, because i did not know about bricklink, ebay and pre-holiday shop discounts, but that will probably change with Unimog). Sinc then I bought and built almost all large technic sets (besides 8421 which I dont like and Ferrari sets, which are technicaly not pure technic).

Based on that (and counting only studeless PF era sets), my opinion is:

Building experience: nothing special and a little confusing at the begining. No gearbox or other advanced functions. Short build due to smaller parts count (comparing to "true" flagships). 8258 and 8043 clearly lead here. 5/10

Parts: Very nice PF selection and a lot of tread links, but really nothing much else. There are very few gears and almost no special technic parts. A lot of system bricks. 7/10 (but just because of PF parts).

Design: very authentic and well made. It was designed begfore we got large technic panels so some parts are made of system bricks, but that's ok. 10/10

Playability: bulldozer itself is very sturdy, but unfortunately brick-made blade is not, so forget about about moving anything big or heavy. Also, tread links tend to slip a lot especially on flat surface and bulldozer will not drive in straight line, because fake motor is connected to just on side. But its fully remote controled and that outweighs all of the above. 8/10

Summary: 8275 was bought mainly for its PF parts (now 8043 is better choice for that), but it really deserves more, because it's not a bad set. It works and looks very well with 8043 and 8265 (they are in scale and of same colour) and I think it's a must have for every technic collector (just make sure that you have 8043, 8258, 8265 and 8110 before that, because they are better sets).

It was my first set after dark ages (and the one I paid most for, because i did not know about bricklink, ebay and pre-holiday shop discounts, but that will probably change with Unimog). Sinc then I bought and built almost all large technic sets (besides 8421 which I dont like and Ferrari sets, which are technicaly not pure technic).

It was my first set coming out of the dark ages to. I bought it because i wanted to make a RipSaw model, and it had the perfect parts for this.

Summary: 8275 was bought mainly for its PF parts (now 8043 is better choice for that), but it really deserves more, because it's not a bad set. It works and looks very well with 8043 and 8265 (they are in scale and of same colour) and I think it's a must have for every technic collector (just make sure that you have 8043, 8258, 8265 and 8110 before that, because they are better sets).

I agree that the Bulldozer was a great set for PF parts, but i think it was better for this then the 8043. First of all it had to XL motors, and it was a lot cheaper then the 8043. But it is a really good base for making more advanced Bulldozer (or tank models) using LAs and newer panels. For me it was a perfect transition into studless technique, as it had a good mix of studded an studless. I ended up buying two, but both have been demolished for parts. I'm thinking of building a new Bulldozer how ever. It will be a more advanced edition, but based on the same design, maybe even using the same tracks.

To anyone thinking of buying this set, i don't think it's worth the prizes demanded. Buy the parts you are missing, and build it yourself. (Used XL motors on Bicklink arn't to expencive, and they where what made the second set a bargain for me. I payed less then $ 160 for it, and in Norway Lego is really really expensive. It had a new prize of $ 270. (The 8110 Unimog is $ 310))

-ED-

I've seen them go for around a hundred, so he's right.

I still think the 8275 is a great set. Goodlooking, lots of PF parts (2 x RC, 1 XL, 1 M IIRC) and completely remote controlled. Bought this set in 2008 after coming out of my dark ages, never regretted it. For $150 or less it's a no-brainer, even compared to the mighty 8043 and 8110.

As always, the answer depends on what you like to do with your LEGO. The bulldozer is really big, looks good, and is fun to play with. So if you build to play with your sets, then its a keeper. On the other, Technic builders are often more interested in the mechanical aspects of a set rather than simply playing with it. From that point of view, the bulldozer is not very interesting. It doesn't have many gears and virtually no mechanisms. It is mechanically as simple as a small 100 part set.

You'll find the same division among those who want Power Functions in every set versus those who don't. Personally, I couldn't care less if a set is motorized or R/C because I don't really want to play with it. I want to build it and understand it. From that standpoint, PF adds nothing but cost. If given the choice between PF R/C and more complexity, I'd choose the latter every time.

I have to admit that the bulldozer is super fun to drive around though. :classic:

Thanks for all the comments - they were exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to file 8275 firmly into the "would've bought it for retail, but not worth it now" category for me. I'm more into Technic for the building than the playing - my kids like Technic vehicles, but we have plenty of good choices already and we don't need a $250+ bulldozer just for the sake of having it. If I happen to walk into a ridiculous deal on one, I'll probably snap it up, but I won't be hunting it down.