roamingstop

MOD: Inspired by 7939 Cargo Train

After Lego released the 7939 locomotive I realised that some of the <insert that tiresome argument> pieces could be used to make a red and black version... but over time I wondered what other colours could be possible using official bricks (and no stickers).

So I present the first collection as a homage to the 7939 locomotive from Lego. All locomotives have IR receivers and battery packs; either official or using a 9V PP3 converter. I ran out of proper front / rear couplers, and I also forgot to add the lights to the long train.

6015110332_4093797d83.jpg

7939: Roll Call by roamingstudio, on Flickr

6014561435_8274bbc44a.jpg

7939: Laid Out by roamingstudio, on Flickr

The long train does not (yet) have any interior / seats, it is more a concept to see what is possible... And as a cross over, a slight homage to the older 4560/4561 locomotives. Perhaps how they could have been... I did investigate the use of split bases and custom bogey's, but it looks too long and strange. The roof is currently fixed, but ultimately I will make it removable... I just need many more white plates and tiles to drop the window height. Then a door would be nice; but hey, kids love it anyway.

If anyone wants the LXF file for the <insert that tiresome argument> versions; they can be found below:

32 stud long

28 stud long

Edited by roamingstudio

Well done! Nice to see them together in these different colors; and the big curved windscreen on some of them makes them look more modern. But I think the green ones could use some gray or grilles or other variation on the sides, too.

This is absolutely insane! *huh*

I simply love all that locomotives ...the dark green one is my favourite! :blush:

Great work and clever solution with that windscreen! :thumbup:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

This is absolutely insane! *huh*

I simply love all that locomotives ...the dark green one is my favourite! :blush:

Great work and clever solution with that windscreen! :thumbup:

I agree the green ones could do with some extra colour schemes to break up the lines; but the photos don't show some of the structural changes... e.g. using 2440.gif instead of the more expensive dark green bricks with grills. Perhaps some black would look nicer. Or some dark green plates with grill (if it exists).

It would also be nice if Lego made 87619.jpg in Yellow or Black, as it would then fit with some of the other typical locomotive colours. Anyhow now that the 6-wide phase is nearly complete, it will be time to start embarking on 7-8-wide.

Edited by roamingstudio

Fantastic work - I can't pick a favourite! Just imagine putting PF inside every engine and have it zooming around a BIG layout :laugh:

Very nice selection of locos 'rstudio'. All are great but, my favorites are the Orange, Dark Green, Black, and Yellow w/ red and green stripes for sure. Awesome job default_classic.gif

I must say I wasn't a fan of the loco from that set. Mine actually is stripped of its PF components. I do really like it in the greens and orange color though and wish mine was in one of those colors. That was a great idea and it made it much more appealing. Nice job.

Like them very much...

dark green loco... inspiring me a lot, I must build a dark green locomotive, it's time to search for dark green hungarian locos. :)

Edited by Ashi Valkoinen

I love the orange one. Awesome!

The pieces come from the old <insert that tiresome argument> sets

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=45406pb02

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30619

This allows Red, Yellow, White, Orange. The trick is that the junior elements have a rearward slope which means you cant place them directly in line with a 6 wide body. Hence I hid this with some recessed doors which make it look grand. I have to say the orange and blue is really cool - and a reminder of the Dutch liveries. I should perhaps build a fleet of them...