Sign in to follow this  
Horry

MOC-Series: human rights issues

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

dear folks,

During a series of theatrepedagogical workshops dealing with respect and conflicts that my theatre is doing during this summer, there's also an approach on how to tell children of right and wrong regardless of their language. As a testing-bed for my try, I will create scenes and vignettes depicting human right violations and let the teenagers discuss them after showing those MOCs. I will present the scenes here during the next few months as they are build. Originally, I wanted to pre-build them altogether but I find it very depressing to build things like that in Lego although the first workshop with two scenes has been a great success and the scenes were discussed intensively.

MOC I - death penalty

theme: Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 3 "Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person."

5960830822_6032f82b69_b.jpg

Lethal injection 1 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5960271641_cb2c281ed7_b.jpg

Lethal injection 2 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5960271769_28b53d04cd_b.jpg

Lethal injection 3 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

MOC II - illegal mining operations enforcing child slavery

theme: Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 4 "No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms."

5960272147_5a20ef0c74_b.jpg

Mine 3 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5960271881_ba91aff88e_b.jpg

Mine 1 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5960272377_3f3e059a48_b.jpg

Mine 5 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Great work on a very important subject. It's fantastic to see LEGO used for a good cause like this. I hope you do one about discrimination as well.

Human rights are our last line of defense, after all. If we give up on them, then what else protects us from total tyranny and anarchy?

Thank you both. I was not quite sure how this kind of MOC would be perceived around here.

I will do some more of those, depicting the treatment of refugees, the crushing of demonstrations, the discrimination of foreigners and women and some more. It depends all on how well the workshop goes.

These are very nice looking moc's, and the subject is an important one. The fact that you feel uncomfortable about them means you are on the right track!

If I have one suggestion, I would try to find some new heads where the faces do not have smiles or happy expressions. The child working looks a little to happy to be there. There are faces with tears, screaming, and scars, all of which will push your message a bit more.

Nice work!

Excellent work, Horry.

They are built from a beautiful simplicity. They are thought provoking, and your cause is terrific. I can't wait to see the rest of the series and I hope your project goes on to teach many more youths.

Since the realm of human rights is a personal philosophical subject as much as a public civil one, your work could spark debates. But by all means, this controversy is one of the very reasons that you built these displays to begin with, so don't hesitate to post your creations, especially ones that represent something you are passionate about.

I wish you the best in the ongoing youth workshops.

Hubert

I know I shouldn't but these are very cool. I never really thought about incorporating serious subject matter into a MOC and I have to say it's a pretty cool idea. Kids definetly react to serious subjects when you put it in some kind of perspective for them- in this case, Lego. I'm very interested to see what you come up with next. Great detail too, nice job!

Thank you all for your comments. This community never ceases to amaze me with kindness and diversity :cry_happy:

If I have one suggestion, I would try to find some new heads where the faces do not have smiles or happy expressions. The child working looks a little to happy to be there. There are faces with tears, screaming, and scars, all of which will push your message a bit more.

You are quite right. But at the time I have only a very limited amount of newer heads as most of my Lego collection comes from a time when :classic: was the standard to go. But I tried to pay attention to the faces-issue in my next two MOCs that are no up and finished for next week's workshop.

Here they come:

MOC III - border patrols

theme: Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 14 "Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution."

5967074614_f850c5eeef_b.jpg

Refugees 1 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5967074988_2d95a6d406_b.jpg

Refugees 3 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5966519579_57aac2f9af_b.jpg

Refugees 2 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

MOC IV - hunting minorities

theme: Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 2 "Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty."

5966519963_0ec87626d6_b.jpg

thugs 1 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5967075356_03265f70ae_b.jpg

thugs 2 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5967075518_981b376eac_b.jpg

thugs 3 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5967075696_bf4b6f1880_b.jpg

thugs 4 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

Very well done! I like them both, and the faces are much better. This is a very important subject, if you need heads or even full figures (I am a customizer who can make specific figs and has plenty of extra parts) please feel free to PM me. Keep it up!