Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Emerald Night Question

Hi all,

Just got my Emerald Night moving under it's own steam with the PF XL motor. The engine seems really slow compared to trains 7939 and the white passenger train from a couple of years ago. Is this right? When I turn up the speed on the PF remote, the increase in speed is really slight for each increment. I think I've put it together correctly, so is it just designed not to go as fast as the other trains?

Cheers indeed, Scotty

Keep in mind the Emerald Night is a very heavy locomotive. The PF XL motors have more low torch than high which make them powerful but not super fast. You could re-gear the EN to make it go fast ( put in larger gears) but it may prove to be difficult. Because of the overall size of the EN I can't imagine you would want it to go much faster as it will most likely de-rail on the tight curves.

That was what I was thinking too, any faster and things would get a bit iffy on the corners! The pistons are going mad at the current speed too!

Ok, speed is sorted, just got to sort out the slight jerkiness of the engine. I'll read up on some of the other threads for the solution to that one!

Why oh why isn't there an easy way to put a normal PF train motor into this train somewhere, still leaving the big wheels on for their looks? Need to figure that out too.

Cheers, Scotty

SORTED NOW!

Dont bother getting a load of new bits for the train, I've just given it a squirt of WD40 where the pistons locate at the front of the train, a thousand times better!

Whoo Hoo,

Scotty

Dont bother getting a load of new bits for the train, I've just given it a squirt of WD40 where the pistons locate at the front of the train, a thousand times better!

Hi Scotty,

yeap, works well, but may fail in the long run. WD40 is one option; with ABS you may consider silicone based lubricants though. If you need to go with lubricants at all (was the train that much faster?) make sure this stuff - after a couple of rounds - does not make it to the rails - slippery when wet ...

Regards,

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for that advice, I'll look into that. It's still running great today, no jerkiness, both other trains working great with no sign that the WD40 has got onto the track.

Cheers. Scotty